Help! My Pioneer PC DVD-R116R DVD-ROM Won't Play Recent DVD NTSC R1 DVD Releases

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Hunter, Aug 27, 2003.

  1. Hunter

    Hunter Guest

    I'm having trouble getting my Pioneer DVD-116R Sony
    Vaio OEM DVD Rom to play newer official DVDs.
    My Pioneer DVD-116R drive will play all of my DVDs
    and DVDRs except for recently released titles such
    as Iron Maiden Visions Of The Beast 2003, Led
    Zeppelin 2003, Futurama Vol. 1& 2, and Socrpion
    King 2002.

    My Pioneer DVD Rom scans the Table of Contents of
    these discs, but then locks up for a few seconds,
    and refuses to recognize the discs. DVD Rom Drive is reported as
    empty,even when discs are in the drive.

    I've tried DVDgenie, Region Killer, WinDVD Tweaker Pro 4.31, and DVD
    Region Free, get the same result with all 4 apps.

    I updated my drive to the proper hacked region free
    v1.22 firmware found at
    http://pioneerdvd.rpc1.org/#PIONEER_IDE , and my
    Pioneer Drive played the Zep and Maiden discs
    perfectly, with full menus, audio options, and all.
    I had DVD Genie, DVD Region-Free 2.18 demo, and
    WinDVD Tweaker Pro 4.31 running in the background.
    Something triggered WinDVD 5 Platinum player to run
    the discs, so I know that the DVDs are compatible with my DVD ROM.
    Then I rebooted my PC after 12 hours or so and my
    Maiden and Zep disc were no longer recognized by my
    Pionner DVD-116R drive. No idea what happened.
    I used the same 4 region free apps, and no luck. I've
    tried WinDVD 4/5, Power DVD5, and Media Player 9.
    I've also updated my ASPI drivers to the latest revisions.

    I'm in the USA and use NTSC Region 1 DVDs and hardware. I've verified
    the NTSC Region 1 compliance of all of my DVDs.
    I've tested out the Maiden and Zep discs on U.S. X Box, and PS2 game
    systems.Both game machines play the discs back perfectly.

    All of the titles that I own are 100% official, factory pressed DVDs
    obtained from major merchants.

    I am running XP SP1.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    This problem has been driving me nuts for weeks!

    Thanks!

    Milan

    Hunter, Aug 27, 2003

  2. On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 04:21:56 GMT, Hunter <> wrote:

    >I'm having trouble getting my Pioneer DVD-116R Sony
    >Vaio OEM DVD Rom to play newer official DVDs.
    >My Pioneer DVD-116R drive will play all of my DVDs
    >and DVDRs except for recently released titles such
    >as Iron Maiden Visions Of The Beast 2003, Led
    >Zeppelin 2003, Futurama Vol. 1& 2, and Socrpion
    >King 2002.
    >
    >My Pioneer DVD Rom scans the Table of Contents of
    >these discs, but then locks up for a few seconds,
    >and refuses to recognize the discs. DVD Rom Drive is reported as
    >empty,even when discs are in the drive.

    Ummmm. Looks like it will only play BAD movies

    Dr. Speedbyrd :>

    Dr. Speedbyrd, Aug 27, 2003

  3. Hunter

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Hunter continued:

    > I'm having trouble getting my Pioneer DVD-116R Sony
    > Vaio OEM DVD Rom to play newer official DVDs.
    > My Pioneer DVD-116R drive will play all of my DVDs
    > and DVDRs except for recently released titles such
    > as Iron Maiden Visions Of The Beast 2003, Led
    > Zeppelin 2003,

    Waste no more time, get a new one, anything other than /not/ beiung able to
    watch the best music DVD in the World ever ;-)
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Aug 27, 2003