Help, Multiple Access Points

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Bob La Londe, Feb 6, 2005.

  1. Bob La Londe

    Bob La Londe Guest

    I need to set up a small office netwrok with multiple wireless access
    points. They are going to tablet PCs for record keeping, and they need
    seemless wireless access. Initial testing indicates it will need atleast
    three wireless access points or some form of repeater to adequately provide
    the coverage they will need.

    There is cable all over the building so simpley plugging in multiple access
    points would be easy enough, but they fields of coverage would have to
    overlap. Would the tablet cards get confused or the access points get
    confused with overlapping coverage. Would it have any trouble with
    switching from one access point to the next? Would it cause multiple
    collissions on the network? The people using these are proffessionals, but
    not technical. Having to manually change things ass they move to different
    parts of the building simpley would not work. They need to seamlessly be
    able to move around the building with their tablets and do their record
    keeping.

    --
    ** Public Fishing and Boating Forums
    ** www.YumaBassMan.com

    Bob La Londe, Feb 6, 2005

  2. Configure AP #1 on channel 1, AP #2 on channel 6, and AP #3 on channel 11.
    Adjacent channels have frequency overlap, but between channels 1 and 6 and
    11 there is no frequency overlap. If you have to use a fourth, then start
    again with channel 1, and make sure AP #4 is far enough away from AP #1 that
    a client computer won't see both.

    When you position your access points, make sure there are no gaps in signal
    coverage. Clients will associate with whichever AP's signal is stronger.
    As a client roams away from one AP and toward another, once that second AP's
    signal is sufficiently strong, the client will associate with that one.

    Steve Riley

    Steve Riley [MSFT], Feb 7, 2005