Help- Moving Folders From One Computer To Another

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by WeeWilly, Dec 17, 2005.

  1. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    Outlook Express v.6
    IE v.6
    Windows XP

    Hopefully, that's enough information..

    I now have my wife's computer tied to a local network.. I assume that is the
    correct term. IOW, we are both linked to the internet thru a wireless link
    tied to my router. Sorry, I'm not a whiz bang at this.

    Before we did this.. she used my computer and saved files in OE that she
    would like to have on her computer. Is there a simple way to transfer these
    various folders to her OE? Maybe it could easily be done with the Admin
    function of XP.. but, I'm not there yet either.

    Also, she has a number of Favorites/bookmarks in IE that she would like on
    her computer. Is there a way to transfer those?

    Thank you in advance..

    --
    Bill

    WeeWilly, Dec 17, 2005

  2. WeeWilly

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    WeeWilly spewed forth:
    > Outlook Express v.6
    > IE v.6
    > Windows XP
    >
    > Hopefully, that's enough information..
    >
    > I now have my wife's computer tied to a local network.. I assume that
    > is the correct term. IOW, we are both linked to the internet thru a
    > wireless link tied to my router. Sorry, I'm not a whiz bang at this.
    >
    > Before we did this.. she used my computer and saved files in OE that
    > she would like to have on her computer. Is there a simple way to
    > transfer these various folders to her OE? Maybe it could easily be
    > done with the Admin function of XP.. but, I'm not there yet either.
    >
    > Also, she has a number of Favorites/bookmarks in IE that she would
    > like on her computer. Is there a way to transfer those?
    >
    > Thank you in advance..

    FAST - file and settings transfer wizard. (Start, all Programs, Accessories,
    System tools)

    Toolman Tim, Dec 17, 2005

  3. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    Thanks TT.. I followed that grouping that you provided.. and got stuck by
    not knowing what to do from that point. Sorry I'm such a dufus.

    WeeWilly, Dec 17, 2005
  4. WeeWilly

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    WeeWilly spewed forth:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:,
    >> WeeWilly spewed forth:
    >>> Outlook Express v.6
    >>> IE v.6
    >>> Windows XP
    >>>
    >>> Hopefully, that's enough information..
    >>>
    >>> I now have my wife's computer tied to a local network.. I assume
    >>> that is the correct term. IOW, we are both linked to the internet
    >>> thru a wireless link tied to my router. Sorry, I'm not a whiz bang
    >>> at this. Before we did this.. she used my computer and saved files in OE
    >>> that
    >>> she would like to have on her computer. Is there a simple way to
    >>> transfer these various folders to her OE? Maybe it could easily be
    >>> done with the Admin function of XP.. but, I'm not there yet either.
    >>>
    >>> Also, she has a number of Favorites/bookmarks in IE that she would
    >>> like on her computer. Is there a way to transfer those?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you in advance..

    >> FAST - file and settings transfer wizard. (Start, all Programs,
    >> Accessories, System tools)
    >>
    >> Thanks TT.. I followed that grouping that you provided.. and got

    > stuck by not knowing what to do from that point. Sorry I'm such a
    > dufus.

    The File and Settings Transfer Wizard is started by clicking on Start, then
    all Programs, then Accessories, then System Tools, then File and settings
    transfer wizard. Once it is started, it explains itself step by step. It
    doesn't get any simpler. EXCEPT it is likely to copy ALL Your data to her
    computer. So it might need some cleanup after running it if you have
    personal stuff you don't want copied to her system.

    The other option would be to locate the files manually and copy them. Not
    impossible, but if you already are connected via a switch (or router) it's
    easier. If you want to try it this way instead, just ask...

    Toolman Tim, Dec 17, 2005