Help migrating to thunderbird from Mozilla

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by eliot, Aug 24, 2004.

  1. eliot

    eliot Guest

    Hi,

    I'm trying to move my mozilla mail folder to thunderbird and I've
    screwed up at least 7 or 8 times now. Here are the FAQ instructions:

    > 1. Start up the new version of Thunderbird and let
    >it create a default Thunderbird profile for you. When the Account Manager
    >comes up click cancel and exit the application.

    Ok. When I start Firebird, I get an account wizard called "new account
    setup." I assume this is what's meant by "account manager." I assume
    I click "cancel" right here. But what's meant by "let it create a
    default ..."? Do I participate in this?

    > 2. Find the Mozilla profile you are interested
    >in migrating (...\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\\XXXXXXXX.slt).

    My Mozilla profiles folder has two subfolders,

    C:\Documents and Settings\eliot\Application
    Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default

    and

    C:\Documents and Settings\eliot\Application
    Data\Mozilla\Profiles\eliot

    (sorry for the line breaks -- I'm using a bonehead newsreader.)

    so which one do I now move? And where do I put it? Do I move
    the folder with my name, or just the slt folder? I seem to have
    several prefs.js. Do I put the eliot folder, or is it
    the slt folder, into profiles, or into default.dhr? I've been
    trying out all possibilities, and I once managed to get it going
    but then noticed that it wasn't in a slt folder at all. AFter moving
    things around, editing prefs, etc., it no longer worked.

    3. You aren't done yet because Mozilla uses absolute directory
    paths in prefs.js.

    This would be in which folder? I'm terribly confused because of
    this "default" stuff -- I don't understand the purpose of default.

    I'm sorry to admit that I find this system completely opaque. The
    documentation is no help at all, it part because I don't see in what
    way it corresponds to existing paths. Help would be greatly
    appreciated.

    -- eliot
    eliot, Aug 24, 2004

  2. eliot

    Moz Champion Guest

    eliot wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to move my mozilla mail folder to thunderbird and I've
    > screwed up at least 7 or 8 times now. Here are the FAQ instructions:
    >

    >> 1. Start up the new version of Thunderbird and let
    >>it create a default Thunderbird profile for you. When the Account Manager
    >>comes up click cancel and exit the application.

    > Ok. When I start Firebird, I get an account wizard called "new account
    > setup." I assume this is what's meant by "account manager." I assume
    > I click "cancel" right here. But what's meant by "let it create a
    > default ..."? Do I participate in this?
    >

    >> 2. Find the Mozilla profile you are interested
    >>in migrating (...\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\\XXXXXXXX.slt).

    > My Mozilla profiles folder has two subfolders,
    >

    > C:\Documents and Settings\eliot\Application
    > Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default
    >
    > and
    >

    > C:\Documents and Settings\eliot\Application
    > Data\Mozilla\Profiles\eliot
    >
    > (sorry for the line breaks -- I'm using a bonehead newsreader.)
    >
    > so which one do I now move? And where do I put it? Do I move
    > the folder with my name, or just the slt folder? I seem to have
    > several prefs.js. Do I put the eliot folder, or is it
    > the slt folder, into profiles, or into default.dhr? I've been
    > trying out all possibilities, and I once managed to get it going
    > but then noticed that it wasn't in a slt folder at all. AFter moving
    > things around, editing prefs, etc., it no longer worked.
    >

    > 3. You aren't done yet because Mozilla uses absolute directory
    > paths in prefs.js.
    >
    > This would be in which folder? I'm terribly confused because of
    > this "default" stuff -- I don't understand the purpose of default.
    >
    > I'm sorry to admit that I find this system completely opaque. The
    > documentation is no help at all, it part because I don't see in what
    > way it corresponds to existing paths. Help would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > -- eliot

    Um, just what are you trying to accomplish here?

    Thunderbird is an email/news application, Firefox is a browser. As such
    they wont share many items in the preferences at all in the first place.

    If you are trying to move the Mozilla mail to Thunderbird, then what
    does Firefox have to do with anything?

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Aug 26, 2004

  3. eliot

    eliot Guest

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 08:17:35 GMT, Moz Champion
    <> wrote:

    >If you are trying to move the Mozilla mail to Thunderbird, then what
    >does Firefox have to do with anything?

    Ok, problem has been solved. The Mozilla/Thunderbird migration FAQ
    just set me off down the garden path.

    -- e
    eliot, Aug 27, 2004