    If you need more detail on the config, I can provide it.

    Thanks in advance!

    Julian.

    julianlawson, Jan 22, 2006

  2. julianlawson

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    ok heres what i presume what you are trying to get done.

    You have a switch you dont know what terminals go where.

    i am Guessing that the two top ones are the + (positive) Switch. Use your Multimeter to Figure our which termalial goes where. Then the Bottom one is - (Neg) which is for the light.

    So you bring your - Cable from your Device to the switch's bottom terminal (the single one) and then back to its source. Here is a diagram.

    [​IMG]

    Attached Files:

    unholy, Jan 22, 2006

  3. julianlawson

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My understanding...

    Peformance PCs (which I like, and I have ordered many things from them, including a Matrix Orbital LCD) makes and carries good stuff. Here is what they said about your switch panel:

    "Switches have 2 posts for internal LED power and 1 post for common ground. This rocker will only light up when the switch is on. This bus is already pre-wired by Performance PC's for the ground for all switches saving you time!"

    This means you have two "live" posts, and the third post is the ground connection. If you connect your fan power lead to one "live" post, your fan is on, along with the rocker LED. If you select the other "live" post, the fan is on, but the rocker LED is not.

    Does the switch panel have a molex connector that you connect a PSU molex plug to? I would assume this is how it provides the fan voltage (12V) to your fans, but maybe the panel has no power connection, and it's just a set of three switches that you use in-line to control power to other devices that have their own power connection elsewhere.

    bigal, Jan 23, 2006
  4. julianlawson

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Al Explained why the Led might not be on and the fan is.

    If that is the case swap the +'s around :)

    Al i think they are just switches with leds built in, i have used them before but they have 4 pins :|

    unholy, Jan 23, 2006
  5. julianlawson

    julianlawson

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Getting closer...

    Thanks to everyone for their replies.

    I'm getting closer. The wiring diagram was an aha moment, cos I couldn't figure out to connect two interrupted wires across three terminals. I tried the different permutations of this scheme and eventually got a solution that works correctly. I tried to replicate this layout for the two other switches on the bus (case feet and side LED), but these didn't work. I can only imagine that this is due to faulty wiring on my part (the supplied spade connectors are pretty crappy so I probably need to take them out and solder the wires in).

    BTW, in answer to previous replies, this bus does not have any molex connector, it's literally just three switches with terminals.

    The wierd thing for me is how I couldn't map the switch to the circuit diagrams on the Cherry website. According to the diagram that most closely matched, I should be using pins 1, 2, and 4. However, according to the markings on the switch, I only had pins 1 2 and 3 connected (4 does not have a metal terminal). I would have thought they'd be better labelled!

    I should be good to go from here, but if it doesn't work out how I expected I'll post back next week.

    Thanks again.

    J.

    julianlawson, Jan 24, 2006
  6. julianlawson

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Hope you dont kill your self before then, power is a dangerous thing..

    unholy, Jan 26, 2006