Help Me With Online Retailers: I'm buying a D70.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tracer Traceless, Sep 7, 2004.

  1. X-No-archive: yes

    So I've been trying to decide how to buy a D70 (kit) for awhile now.
    $1300 is a lot of money, and I hope you'll understand my hesitation
    and need for help.

    I live in New York City. Most people would say "B and H, of course!"
    But NYC also has a hefty sales tax. On a $1300 purchase, the total
    would be over $1400.

    But I have a way around that -- I can ship to friends in New Jersey.
    Then the total would only be $1316.

    But I've also found cheaper deals too. A place called Click4Digital is
    changing only $1204 for the D70 kit. If I ship to NJ, it would be
    $1233.

    Ritz Camera doesn't charge shipping or tax at all. Their D70 kit is
    $1299. If I go with Ritz, I can also get into an affiliate buying
    program (mypoints.com) and get $25 or so back in gift certificates.

    The problem is, the retailer's price seems to be in inverse proportion
    to their ratings on places like BizRate and ePinions.

    Here's how it goes:

    Rated from highest to lowest - versus - price
    B & H - $1316
    Ritz Camera - $1299
    Click4Digital - $1233

    With the reputations that some of these lesser retailers have, I
    wouldn't even consider them, but a lot of the complaints seem to be
    with shipping misunderstandings and mixed orders. What I want is
    simple. I don't see how there can be any misunderstandings.

    Bigger retailers like Best Buy or Circuit City have the camera at
    $1299 too, and they probably won't try to pass off a refurb as a
    original, but there's no getting around the sales tax issue with them.
    They have some deals as far as interest-free financing goes, but I
    don't need that.

    So, if you were in my situation, where would YOU buy from?

    Thanks.

    Tracer Traceless, Sep 7, 2004

  2. Tracer Traceless

    Tony Guest

    There is a reason why the low proiced shops have a bad rating - they are
    crooked. You won't get the price they advertise. In fact you will get
    screwed. Go with B&H or Adorama, and have it deliveredc to jersey if you
    insist - but don't get too pissed when they close the firestation on your
    street either.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Sep 7, 2004

  3. Tracer Traceless

    Clyde Torres Guest

    > Here's how it goes:
    >
    > Rated from highest to lowest - versus - price
    > B & H - $1316
    > Ritz Camera - $1299
    > Click4Digital - $1233

    > So, if you were in my situation, where would YOU buy from?

    I have heard of too many scams for ME to mess around with these low ball
    type folks. Yes, you can luck out and have a good experience, but I simply
    don't trust them anymore. I've had one or two bad experiences with them,
    and to ME, the time it takes to straighten out these messes simply isn't
    worth it. If you have the time to battle these people trying to scroo you
    out of money, then go for it; otherwise, TIME = MONEY in my book.

    Clyde Torres

    Clyde Torres, Sep 7, 2004
  4. Tracer Traceless

    Aramis Guest

    Sweet...

    Aramis, Sep 7, 2004
  5. Tracer Traceless

    AK Guest

    I recently bought a lens from B&H and was delighted by the service -
    received it within two days of order, despite using their lowest cost
    shipping option. I paid a bit more, but there were no hassles, no delays, no
    mistakes. Compared to some on-line shopping experiences, that's worth a few
    bucks.

    Alan

    AK, Sep 7, 2004
  6. Tracer Traceless wrote:
    > [snip]
    > But I have a way around that -- I can ship to friends in New Jersey.
    > [snip]

    I've read that NJ and NY share information on mail-order sales and NJ
    residents *may* be charged NJ use tax.

    -Dave

    Dave Herzstein, Sep 7, 2004
  7. Tracer Traceless

    Mikey S. Guest

    So far they haven't charged tax across the border but who knows what evil
    scheme is in the works! For the record though I just got a lens from B&H 3
    days ago, delivered to NJ in 2 days with the cheapest shipping, no tax. B&H
    may not always be the absolute cheapest, but in my experience they are fast,
    efficient, and honest, so that's where I buy almost all my stuff. Adorama is
    competive with them on prices and just as honest, but slower to ship, so
    they are my second choice.

    --

    Mikey S.
    http://www.mike721.com

    Mikey S., Sep 7, 2004
  8. Tracer Traceless

    BandHPhoto Guest

    <I recently bought a lens from B&H and was delighted by the service>

    Thank you.
    - --

    regards,
    Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com

    BandHPhoto, Sep 7, 2004
  9. Tracer Traceless

    BandHPhoto Guest

    <I've read that NJ and NY share information on mail-order sales and NJ
    residents *may* be charged NJ use tax.>

    If NY audits us for tax purposes -- sales tax, payroll tax, etc. -- they CAN
    tell NJ without telling us they're doing so and neither we nor our customers
    know until NJ sends letters to the customers. Nothing we could do about it. As
    far as I know, in the absense of an audit, they don't routinely swap data.
    - --

    regards,
    Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com

    BandHPhoto, Sep 7, 2004
  10. Tracer Traceless

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    AK <> wrote:

    > I recently bought a lens from B&H and was delighted by the service -
    > received it within two days of order, despite using their lowest cost
    > shipping option. I paid a bit more, but there were no hassles, no delays, no
    > mistakes. Compared to some on-line shopping experiences, that's worth a few
    > bucks.

    I remember going to B&H when I was in school, back when they were a little
    storefront and no one had heard of the Internet; it was the place to go even
    then. Now it's available to everyone, and if anything, the service is even
    better. It's got to be one of the best retail operations I've *ever* dealt
    with. So, to answer the original poster's question, I'd go with B&H.

    (And, living near enough in New Jersey, my orders almost always arrive the
    next day, using standard shipping. You can't beat that.)

    --
    Jeremy |

    Jeremy Nixon, Sep 7, 2004
  11. Tracer Traceless

    Mike Guest

    I just bought a Sony Cyber-shot DSC W1 and 512MB memory stick from
    PCNation.com for my.
    Good prices and no tax, no s/h and good service.

    Mike

    Mike, Sep 26, 2004