Help me with a serious problem, please

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Paul, Apr 26, 2005.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Hey Everyone,

    I know this is not exactly A+ related, but you've all been helpful with my
    other questions, and this one's a bit scarey.

    I've gotten an Email from Ebay, which I have never used or even been to,
    saying something about fraudulent account usage.
    The guts of it are here...

    Urgent Safeharbor Department Notice!

    eBay Fraud Mediation RequestDate: Wed, 25 April 2005

    Dear eBay Member,You have recieved this email because you or someone had
    used your account to make fake bids at eBay. For security purposes, we are
    required to open an investigation into this matter.

    The login attempt was made fromIP address: 162.25.210.76 ISP Host:
    cache-66.proxy.cyberwest.com

    * You must verify the details by clicking on the link provided below. If you
    choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to temporarily
    suspend your account.

    The fraud Alert ID code contained in this message will be attached in our
    fraud mediation request form, in order to verify your account registration
    information!Fraud Alert ID code: xxxxxxxx (Please save this Fraud Alert ID
    Code for your reference.)

    What the hell is all this about? I finally plucked the courage to click on
    the link they gave, but it went nowhere.

    I've never used ebay.

    Paul in Australia
    Paul, Apr 26, 2005

  2. Paul

    Captain Lon Guest

    I got it too. Send it to Ebay. They will confirm that there is nothing
    wrong with your Ebay account.

    --
    Captain Lon

    All your base are belong to us.

    Captain Lon, Apr 26, 2005

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Thanks Barry and Everyone.

    I went to (the real) Ebay, and read their pages about spoof emails. I
    forwarded the email to them and a reply came back straight away saying that
    it wasn't from them (which i'd already worked out because the link looked
    fishy (or should i say phishy!))

    It just sounded like someone was using my email as an ebay account and I had
    flashbacks to the film The Net (must watch that again one day). Identity
    fraud.

    I feel better now.

    BTW Thanks for answering my Laser Printer questions.

    Paul in Australia

    Paul, Apr 26, 2005
  4. Paul

    me Guest

    It is fraud. I have received emails like that supposedly from paypal, and
    ebay, and citibank, and regions bank, and they are all fake emails. I
    always trace the email, and turn the sender in to their server. I also go
    to the website and then copy and past the url into samspade.org and run a
    whois search and then call the server or the webhost and let them know what
    is happening.

    1. Banks and financial institutions will NEVER send out anything in an
    email requesting or demanding that you click on an enclosed link and provide
    your personal information.
    2. Paypal and Ebay also follow the same rules as above.

    these idiot phishers need to get a real job.

    I have seen alot of attempts by scammers to get me to provide personal, and
    financial information. I learned long ago what to look for, and where to
    look for it, and thus I avoid falling for their nefarious schemes.
    me, Apr 26, 2005
  5. Paul

    AG Guest

    "me" <> wrote in message
    > It is fraud. I have received emails like that supposedly from paypal, and
    > ebay, and citibank, and regions bank, and they are all fake emails. I
    > always trace the email, and turn the sender in to their server. I also go
    > to the website and then copy and past the url into samspade.org and run a
    > whois search and then call the server or the webhost and let them know

    what
    > is happening.
    >
    > 1. Banks and financial institutions will NEVER send out anything in an
    > email requesting or demanding that you click on an enclosed link and

    provide
    > your personal information.
    > 2. Paypal and Ebay also follow the same rules as above.
    >
    > these idiot phishers need to get a real job.
    >
    > I have seen alot of attempts by scammers to get me to provide personal,

    and
    > financial information. I learned long ago what to look for, and where to
    > look for it, and thus I avoid falling for their nefarious schemes.

    I reported one last month to the ISP and they denied that the site was on
    their server. It probably wasn't by the time they got around to checking on
    it.

    AG
    AG, Apr 27, 2005
  6. Paul

    Guest

    Get A better Browser. Or patch IE

    I think that that IE hole has been patched for quite a while.

    Last time I got one of thoes emails I had a lot of fun with it. I
    opened the email in IE on winxp and (supriese) the url bar read
    "ebay.com" . Opened it in FireFox and the address bar gave the IP
    address of the hosting company. Then I tried it in Linux and Galeon,
    FireFox and lynx all showed the IP address, not Ebay,

    Moral of the story, IE sucks.

    PS and totally off topic. I am trying out Opera8 right now and posting
    from Google Groups. I've always loved Opera, but it sure dosn't format
    this page properly
    , Apr 27, 2005
  7. Paul

    Captain Lon Guest

    When I received my phishing letter, I figured they harvested my email
    address from a web site that I own. You see, I have links to paypal on the
    site, so visitors can purchase things, and I think the evil phishers 'bot
    figured that if I have a paypal account, then I must have an ebay account.
    So, they sent me a letter about updating the info on my ebay account.

    Captain Lon, Apr 27, 2005