    tell me why it always wants to ARCHIVE everything.........ALL HELP OR ANY
    INFO SITES WOULD BE WELL APPRECIATED, ALL THE BEST, FRED C

    ---
    fredcromer, May 2, 2004

  2. fredcromer

    Thor Guest

    It seems you are a little foggy on the concept of compressed archiving
    programs. ZIP is one of many such formats. When a file, or files are
    "zipped" they are compressed, and archived into a single file. This speeds
    up the download process, since the compressed file is usually smaller than
    the size of the archived files in their native uncompressed format. This is
    why Zip files, and other popular archive formats like RAR, and ACE are used
    frequently for downloadable content. When you download a Zip file, you need
    to "extract" it's contents to make use of it. The various programs like
    WinZIP, UltimateZIP, etc have similar means to do this. Usually it merely
    involves double-clicking the zip file you downloaded, so it opens in the
    associated archive program. Then you either click the "extract" option, or
    in most cases, you can simply click and drag the archived file out of the
    archive program window, and into another folder, or your desktop so you can
    install it, or run it, or do whatever you want with it. Generally, the click
    and drag method is the easiest. Think of the zip file as a box that contains
    other files, and when you open the zipfile in your archive program you are
    opening the box, and seeing what's inside. Then, when you "extract", you are
    taking the contents out of the box and putting them on a table so you can
    work with them. The only difference being that when you extract something
    from a zipfile, you aren't actually *removing* anything from the zipfile,
    rather you are copying the compressed contents to a different location, in
    the original uncompressed form. Zip files and many other archive formats can
    also preserve the information that tells where the archived files were
    originally located on the drive before they were archived. This allows one
    to recreate the original folder structures that the files were stored in.
    For example, if I zipped a folder called "stuff" with 5 files inside, I
    could extract those 5 files, and the zip program would create a folder
    called "stuff" and put those 5 files in it, just as they were before they
    were originally zipped. So you will run into two types of zipfiles. Those
    with folder info, and those without. Those without, you have to just extract
    the files wherever you like on your drive, whereas those with folder info,
    can be extracted at your location of choice, or in the original folder
    structure. As a general rule, it is best to always extract files with folder
    info with their folder names and paths intact, as the extracted program may
    require those files to be in their original locations for it to work. WinME,
    and WinXP have built-in zip archive support, and unless another program is
    installed that takes over those file associations, WinME or WinXP will
    display zip files as folders but with a special folder icon denoting that it
    is a compressed archive file, not a true "folder". Windows tries to handle
    these files like folders as transparantly as possible, allowing you to drag
    the files to and from a compressed archive "folder" to an regular
    uncompressed one, or even allow you to execute programs from within the
    archive as if it was a normal folder. But once you have installed some 3rd
    party archive program such as Winzip, or UltimateZIP you are at the mercy of
    it's interface, and the way windows handled the zip archives will no longer
    be available. I personally don't care for the way windows blurs the line
    between zip file archives and windows folders. I like to easily see when I'm
    dealing with a zipfile, and when I'm not, so I use WinZIP.

    "fredcromer" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, after downloading some freeware games, they come in the .ZIP

    format...so
    > out of pure luck I opened one called JSW.ZIP with the zip prog. I'm not

    sure

    Thor, May 2, 2004

  3. fredcromer

    ProfGene Guest

    If you have winzip it will unzip it into a folder. Or if you have it in the
    folder you want to unzip it to you can just double click on it and then
    choose extract but there are other programs for unzipping that might work
    differently. The files are just compressed and all you are doing is
    decompressing them. If you double click on them you can see what is zipped
    which can consist of an exe program and text files as well as system files.

    ProfGene, May 6, 2004