Help me to install Sigma Photo pro driver to Windows98/SE

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ÈÀ¼¼, Jul 22, 2004.

  1. ÈÀ¼¼

    ÈÀ¼¼ Guest

    I recently bought Sigma SD9.

    I installed Photo Pro to my computer at home, operating system is
    windows98/SE.
    When I connect the camera via cable directly to my PC, it is not possible to
    download captured images.
    When using USB cable, file download to PC failed after very long period of
    time.
    When trying with IEEE1394, the Photo Pro do not recognize SD9 at all.

    Manual says that I have to uninstall and install again, the sigma photo pro
    driver shall be correctly recognized by my PC.
    I did several times with no result.

    I took the camera to my office PC where windows2000 installed.
    It was successful, oh, how fast download via firewire is !!!!

    Called the service of Sigma, nobody can give me good answer.
    Only saying uninstall and install again, designating install the driver
    correctly.

    I think, I need to clear all not working driver information from my PC
    registry and will install again.
    Does anybody knows of which???

    The camera itself, is quite good one. Pictures are taken lovely.

    Hans

    ÈÀ¼¼, Jul 22, 2004

  2. "ÈÀ¼¼" <2> wrote in news::

    > I recently bought Sigma SD9.

    I feel sorry for you.

    --
    "Live fast. Die young." (Nikki Sixx)

    -Richard Cockburn

    Richard Cockburn, Jul 22, 2004

  3. photo pro software is probably not the problem, but rather the driver for
    the camera needs to be reinstalled.
    this is not an unusual problem when adding usb devices and often happens
    because the device was connected prior to the driver being installed.
    the solution is to start the computer in safe mode (press f8 after post and
    before the windows logo banner page to be presented with an option to start
    windows in safe mode), then go to start-settings-controlpanel-system, then
    look under the device manager tab and locate the camera and delete it from
    the list... exit and restart normally. reinstall the software, restart, and
    then once restarted try once again to connect the camera. it should then be
    recognized properly and install the driver itself.

    Christopher Muto, Jul 22, 2004
  4. Would not be a lot easier to use $15 card reader?
    Tee

    --------------------cut---------------------------------------

    Tee Doubleyou, Jul 22, 2004
  5. in theory, yes. but it is also likely that the same problem will be
    produced... connecting these type of devices to windows 98se before
    installing the driver renders them useless untill you correct the problem as
    described above.

    Christopher Muto, Jul 22, 2004
  6. ÈÀ¼¼

    G. Innipig Guest

    > Tee
    > On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 15:56:42 +0200, "ÈÀ¼¼" <2> wrote:
    >
    > >I recently bought Sigma SD9.
    > >

    > Would not be a lot easier to use $15 card reader?

    And results would probably be better from a $15 digital camera.

    G. Innipig, Jul 22, 2004
  7. ÈÀ¼¼

    Zebedee Guest

    "G. Innipig" <> wrote in message

    > And results would probably be better from a $15 digital camera.

    I really don't know which pisses me off more - cretins promoting a camera
    without reason or cretins slagging them off without reason.

    Have you used a Sigma SD9? No then shut your gob!

    I haven't used one. I criticise a lot about them. The 100ASA photos are
    pretty sharp - in the areas where the lens was actually sharp. But I don't
    go around slagging them off.

    Grow up!

    --
    Yours

    Zebedee

    (Claiming asylum in an attempt
    to escape paying his debts to
    Dougal and Florence)

    Zebedee, Jul 22, 2004
  8. "ÈÀ¼¼" <2> wrote in message
    > I recently bought Sigma SD9.
    >
    > I installed Photo Pro to my computer at home, operating system is
    > windows98/SE.
    > When I connect the camera via cable directly to my PC, it is not

    possible to
    > download captured images.
    > When using USB cable, file download to PC failed after very long

    period of
    > time.
    > When trying with IEEE1394, the Photo Pro do not recognize SD9 at

    all.

    > Manual says that I have to uninstall and install again, the sigma

    photo pro
    > driver shall be correctly recognized by my PC.
    > I did several times with no result.
    >
    > I took the camera to my office PC where windows2000 installed.
    > It was successful, oh, how fast download via firewire is !!!!
    >
    > Called the service of Sigma, nobody can give me good answer.
    > Only saying uninstall and install again, designating install the

    driver
    > correctly.
    >
    > I think, I need to clear all not working driver information from my

    PC
    > registry and will install again.
    > Does anybody knows of which???
    >
    > The camera itself, is quite good one. Pictures are taken lovely.
    >
    > Hans

    If you do manage to get the driver working you'll still be unhappy.
    The transfer speed is beyond agonizingly slow. You'd be far better
    off using a card reader, don't bother transferring images from the
    camera to your computer. BTW, are you using Photo Pro 2 or version 1
    which shipped with the SD9? If you're not using version 2, download
    it from Sigma's site and use that. Also, forget what the naysayers
    have to say about your camera. Enjoy the great images it takes and
    pick yourself up a Sigma 50mm EX lens to use with it.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Jul 23, 2004
  9. ÈÀ¼¼

    ÈÀ¼¼ Guest

    Dear Peter,

    Thanks for the answers.
    I decided try one more time, by booting my PC at safety mode.
    And then, regardless of its success or not, I will not think again any more.

    It will be better for me to enjoy shooting, not managing my PC and Photo Pro
    driver.

    Hope everybody to have own successful day.

    Hans

    ÈÀ¼¼, Jul 23, 2004
  10. Hi Peter

    naysayer is too kind a word for sure

    Now then, x530 - is there any info on it yet?

    I sorta wondered if you knew

    Arty

    Arty Phacting, Jul 23, 2004
  11. ÈÀ¼¼

    G. Innipig Guest

    "Zebedee" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    > "G. Innipig" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > And results would probably be better from a $15 digital camera.

    > I really don't know which pisses me off more - cretins promoting a camera
    > without reason or cretins slagging them off without reason.
    >
    > Have you used a Sigma SD9? No then shut your gob!
    >
    > I haven't used one. I criticise a lot about them. The 100ASA photos are
    > pretty sharp - in the areas where the lens was actually sharp. But I don't
    > go around slagging them off.
    >
    > Grow up!

    And I get pissed off by cretinous neanderthals like you who think they know
    better when in fact they haven't used one themselves. Yes, I test drove the
    SD9 and later an SD10, because I owed it to myself and my clients to see
    what all the supposed fuss was about. The slagging off is justified, the
    cameras are worthless overpriced heaps of junk, rejected virtually 100% by
    the professional community. So I feel proudly able to reiterate my original
    statement ^^^^^ (read first line.) I'm sticking with Canons thank you. You
    may now go away.

    G. Innipig, Jul 23, 2004
  12. "Arty Phacting" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Peter
    >
    > naysayer is too kind a word for sure
    >
    > Now then, x530 - is there any info on it yet?
    >
    > I sorta wondered if you knew
    >
    > Arty

    No new info in quite awhile. The concept is good but the manufacturer
    is not Polaroid, but rather a company that has the right to use the
    name. The retro design doesn't suit me in this case but since I have
    a Fuji S7000 in addition to my SD9, I'm pretty well set for awhile.
    It's the replacement for the SD10 that has my interest anyway.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Jul 23, 2004
  13. "G. Innipig" <> wrote in message

    > "Zebedee" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "G. Innipig" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > > And results would probably be better from a $15 digital camera.

    > > I really don't know which pisses me off more - cretins promoting a

    camera
    > > without reason or cretins slagging them off without reason.
    > >
    > > Have you used a Sigma SD9? No then shut your gob!
    > >
    > > I haven't used one. I criticise a lot about them. The 100ASA

    photos are
    > > pretty sharp - in the areas where the lens was actually sharp. But

    I don't
    > > go around slagging them off.
    > >
    > > Grow up!

    > And I get pissed off by cretinous neanderthals like you who think

    they know
    > better when in fact they haven't used one themselves. Yes, I test

    drove the
    > SD9 and later an SD10, because I owed it to myself and my clients to

    see
    > what all the supposed fuss was about. The slagging off is

    justified, the
    > cameras are worthless overpriced heaps of junk, rejected virtually

    100% by
    > the professional community. So I feel proudly able to reiterate my

    original
    > statement ^^^^^ (read first line.) I'm sticking with Canons thank

    you. You
    > may now go away.

    "The professional community". That must be the infamous "they" I keep
    hearing people refer to.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Jul 23, 2004
  14. In article <ykgMc.2033$>, Peter A.
    Stavrakoglou <> wrote:

    > "The professional community". That must be the infamous "they" I keep
    > hearing people refer to.

    That means people who earn their living doing photography and require
    something better than 3.4MP, proprietary and poorly constructed
    hardware, and crappy colors.

    Randall Ainsworth, Jul 24, 2004
  15. Thanks Peter - this is all very helpful

    Arty

    Arty Phacting, Jul 24, 2004
  16. "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <> wrote in message news:<OigMc.2030$>...
    > "Arty Phacting" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi Peter
    > >
    > > naysayer is too kind a word for sure
    > >
    > > Now then, x530 - is there any info on it yet?
    > >
    > > I sorta wondered if you knew
    > >
    > > Arty

    > No new info in quite awhile. The concept is good but the manufacturer
    > is not Polaroid, but rather a company that has the right to use the
    > name. The retro design doesn't suit me in this case but since I have
    > a Fuji S7000 in addition to my SD9,

    The appeal of the x530 is 1024x768x3 layer video @ 24fps. That is way
    better than any professional video camera.

    > I'm pretty well set for awhile.
    > It's the replacement for the SD10 that has my interest anyway.

    Rumor has it, it is 18MP (5.85 x3). That is equivalent to a 24MP
    Bayer, but with no need for a blur filter.

    George Preddy, Jul 24, 2004
  17. ÈÀ¼¼

    E. Magnuson Guest

    On 2004-07-24, George Preddy <> wrote:
    > The appeal of the x530 is 1024x768x3 layer video @ 24fps.

    Only in a preddiots dreams.

    While the sensor may be theoretically capable of that rate, the
    electronics needed to process, compress, and store that much data
    are rather unlikely in a $399 MSRP camera. WWD (dba Polaroid) have
    never published such a claim.

    --
    Erik

    E. Magnuson, Jul 24, 2004