Help me to choose ??

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by =?Utf-8?B?c2VyZ2UgY2FsZGVyYXJh?=, Aug 31, 2005.

  1. Dear all,

    I need to develop an analsys application with .NET
    Based on that I am not reaaly sure about the proper solution to implement
    that tool and I would like to get your experience opinion.

    First of all I have colected data on a centralized SQL server database. What
    I need to do is provide an application interface suitable to run defautl or
    customized querry to extract different type of data. From that query results
    user would be able to print it or export the result anywhere.

    The main objective is that the applicatin shuold be reaaly open in case
    customer want to customize it. For reporting I was planiing to use crytsla
    report.

    What is you idea on performing that analysis task and in whihc manner (Web
    form or App form) ?

    I have heard about report services, what this is about ?

    Thnaks for your help on guiding me in suitable solution specification

    regards
    serge

    =?Utf-8?B?c2VyZ2UgY2FsZGVyYXJh?=, Aug 31, 2005

  2. One obvious question to ask is: Do you have a web server to run this one? If
    the answer is no, then clearly a Windows App would be the way to go rather
    than a Web App.
    Although I am vaguely familiar with Crystal Reports, I've never actually
    used it in a real project but I'd assume it would be more customizable by a
    user within a Win App environment that on a web server - but I could be
    wrong.
    How many users will you have? If it's only one or two, a Win App may be
    easier. If it's a lot, then that points more to a Web App.
    If you are using Crystal Reports then I think there isn't too much to do.
    Just link it to the database, provide some means to select or build custom
    queries, and that's pretty much it. It's almost like a cut down version of
    MS Access.

    David Kavanagh, Sep 1, 2005

  3. Hi david, Thnaks for your reply

    Yes each time we provide this SLQ servcer data we have the possbility to get
    a web server.
    At first I was planning to make it as Web applicatin due to the fact that
    those analysis data might be access from a sales man outside the company
    intranet.
    But my NO knowledge at all on ASP .NEt make me feel a bit septical on the
    choise, is it good or bad.

    In fact the web interface will execute the request querry to the SQL server
    and then display result in X format to user (grid or simple view...)

    Thnaks anyway for your tips
    regards
    serge

    =?Utf-8?B?c2VyZ2UgY2FsZGVyYXJh?=, Sep 2, 2005