Help me to buy the right memory module to upgrade my PC

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Amanda, Sep 8, 2006.

  1. Amanda

    Amanda Guest

    I'd like to add more memory but I don't knoww hat to get and also I
    don't know how to deteremine whether i should alos upgarde processor
    and otherwise, it's not worth adding memory, etc.

    If anyone can help, I'd apperciate it. I am going to be installing
    VS.Net 2005, IIS server, Tomcat server, and MySQL.

    See below for system infornation:

    Operating System :Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
    System Model: Magnell A7N8X2.0 REV 1.xx;Enclosure Type: Desktop

    Processor:
    1.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon
    128 kilobyte primary memory cache
    512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

    Main Circuit Board:
    Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7N8X2.0 REV 1.xx
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1003
    04/15/2003

    Memory Modules
    512 Megabytes Installed Memory
    Slot 'DDR1' is Empty
    Slot 'DDR2' has 256 MB
    Slot 'DDR3' has 256 MB
    Amanda, Sep 8, 2006

  2. Amanda

    JJ Guest

    You could try: http://www.crucial.com/index.asp

    It will scan your system and in most cases let you know what you can add.

    JJ, Sep 8, 2006

  3. Amanda

    Amanda Guest

    JJ wrote:
    > You could try: http://www.crucial.com/index.asp
    >
    > It will scan your system and in most cases let you know what you can add.

    Actually, I have that info. I was wodnerign how much memory total I
    should upgarde to given the processor speed. I decided to add one 512
    MB and make a total of 1GM.

    Amanda, Sep 8, 2006
  4. Amanda

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Amanda wrote:
    > JJ wrote:
    >
    >>You could try: http://www.crucial.com/index.asp
    >>
    >>It will scan your system and in most cases let you know what you can add.

    > Actually, I have that info. I was wodnerign how much memory total I
    > should upgarde to given the processor speed. I decided to add one 512
    > MB and make a total of 1GM.

    If you're dealing with .Net, then you need some gigs of memory and
    processor running GHz(s). You can go with a min about on both, but it's
    best to get the most that you can get.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/support/readme/default.aspx

    On XP pro, make sure you have the pagefile size set to automatically be
    controlled by the XP O/S, otherwise, you may have debug problems while
    in debug mode in the .NET IDE.

    If you're planning to expose IIS to the Internet using XP Pro, that's
    bad news. You should be using Win 2K3 server with IIS 7.0 with IIS and
    the O/S properly secured for a Windows machine running IIS. Otherwise,
    you're just hack bait.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Sep 8, 2006
  5. Amanda

    JJ Guest

    Normally, you add memory in pairs, not just one card. How many open memory
    slots do you have? Two?

    JJ, Sep 8, 2006
  6. Amanda

    Amanda Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:
    > Amanda wrote:
    > > JJ wrote:
    > >
    > >>You could try: http://www.crucial.com/index.asp
    > >>
    > >>It will scan your system and in most cases let you know what you can add.

    > > Actually, I have that info. I was wodnerign how much memory total I
    > > should upgarde to given the processor speed. I decided to add one 512
    > > MB and make a total of 1GM.
    > >

    > If you're dealing with .Net, then you need some gigs of memory and
    > processor running GHz(s). You can go with a min about on both, but it's
    > best to get the most that you can get.

    Ok.

    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/support/readme/default.aspx
    >
    > On XP pro, make sure you have the pagefile size set to automatically be
    > controlled by the XP O/S,

    How do I do that?

    >otherwise, you may have debug problems while
    > in debug mode in the .NET IDE.
    >
    > If you're planning to expose IIS to the Internet using XP Pro, that's
    > bad news. You should be using Win 2K3 server with IIS 7.0 with IIS and
    > the O/S properly secured for a Windows machine running IIS. Otherwise,
    > you're just hack bait.

    Thanks. When(and if) I start doing asp/net, I will install Win
    2K3Server.

    Amanda, Sep 29, 2006
  7. Amanda

    Amanda Guest

    JJ wrote:
    > Normally, you add memory in pairs, not just one card. How many open memory
    > slots do you have? Two?

    It has a total of 3 slots. To have been used with 256 each. So only
    one left, and I put 512MB.

    Amanda, Sep 29, 2006
  8. Amanda

    Mr. Ork Guest