    camera.
    The offer expires 12/31/04. I'm hoping to pick-up a post Christmas
    discount. Any and all input appreciated! Thanks.
    pingpongsalon, Dec 25, 2004

  2. pingpongsalon

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "pingpongsalon" <> writes:
    > My biggest gripe, I need a flash with some power! I like the wide angle
    > feature of the Fuji E510, but fear it has a wimpy flash. I rarely need
    > super long telephoto shots. I'd rather have some control over the
    > camera.

    You need an external flash. There is no such thing as a digicam whose
    built-in flash is powerful enough to do anything serious. Once you've
    accepted that you need an external flash, you have lots more
    flexibility in choosing your camera.
    Paul Rubin, Dec 25, 2004

  3. I do much the same work as you. I have been happy for years with my Oly
    E-10. It has one of the most powerful flashes of all the built-ins. It is by
    no means a pocket camera. But for the price you can't get more flexibility.
    The price...you might be able to meet your limit with a used one or a
    refurbed. It's 4 meg image is just right for this sort of work.

    Gene Palmiter, Dec 25, 2004
  4. pingpongsalon

    Lisa Horton Guest

    pingpongsalon wrote:

    > I work as a reporter/photographer for a small newspaper published twice
    > weekly with a circulation of about 10K in the "tourist season" and
    > about 7K in the "off season".
    > A lot of work is advertorial. I did grab some photos last year of a
    > shoving match that broke out at a town board meeting. I cover a lot of
    > HS sports too.
    > I use an old camera. A Fuji FinePix 1400. This is a 1.3 mp camera with
    > a 3x zoom.
    > My employer has offered to pay up to 75% of the cost of a new camera,
    > their contribution not to exceed $300. After one year's time if I have
    > not resigned or been terminated over rules violations, the camera is
    > mine to keep.
    > My biggest gripe, I need a flash with some power! I like the wide angle
    > feature of the Fuji E510, but fear it has a wimpy flash. I rarely need
    > super long telephoto shots. I'd rather have some control over the
    > camera.
    > The offer expires 12/31/04. I'm hoping to pick-up a post Christmas
    > discount. Any and all input appreciated! Thanks.

    Apart from the powerful flash, the Canon S1 IS might fit the bill
    nicely.

    Lisa
    Lisa Horton, Dec 25, 2004