    Please contact your software vendor Symantec to obtain a compatible version
    of the drivers prior to installing this software.".
    what should i do as i have just installed x64 on my amd sempron 64 bit pc????

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFuaXNo?=, Feb 20, 2006

  2. None of Symantecs retail products are compatible with x64, there Corporate
    version of Norton, Symantec AV 10.0.1 is. AVG 7.1, Avast! Home, NOD 32,
    eTrust 7.1 are all compatible.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Feb 20, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TWFuaXNo?=

    Rob Perkins Guest

    Manish wrote:
    > i m having prob installing any antivirus, when i run setup of NAV 2005 or
    > 2006 it says "Norton AntiVirus 2004 will install a driver that causes severe
    > stability problems on the 64 bit versions of the Windows operating systems.
    > Please contact your software vendor Symantec to obtain a compatible version
    > of the drivers prior to installing this software.".
    > what should i do as i have just installed x64 on my amd sempron 64 bit pc????

    In my opinion, don't use Norton. I lost confidence in them years ago.

    I've had a lot of success with Avast! by Alwil software (www.avast.com),
    which is running splendidly on my x64 machine, and is free to home
    users, in exchange for some registration info.

    Rob

    Rob Perkins, Feb 20, 2006
  4. I use Symantec AV 10, not issues here, just that removing it can be a real
    PITA.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Feb 20, 2006
  5. Yes, one of the first things I do to any machine I have to work on is remove
    all symantec products.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 20, 2006
  6. Hi

    I have tried installing all the supporting anti virus softwares available in
    the market. I had AVG earlier on my X64 system for about one month. But later
    on I installed Mcafee Virusscan Enterprise 8.0.0.i on my system and enabled
    the Windows firewall. Mcafee detected an extra virus called 'W32/Insane.dam'
    that ALL other anti-virus scanners left (as on x64) .

    You can also run tens of free online scanners on an x64 machine. It is
    really nice to see all of them work well! Use Panda Active Scan Pro (costs a
    few $s) to remove any spywares.

    Hemanth

    =?Utf-8?B?SGVtYW50aA==?=, Feb 20, 2006
  7. Hi

    You could also install Windows Defender beta 2 available from Microsoft.

    Hemanth

    =?Utf-8?B?SGVtYW50aA==?=, Feb 20, 2006
  8. Defender is _not_ Anti-Virus. It's anti-malware. It's simply the rebranding
    of Microsoft Anti Spyware which was bought from Giant.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 21, 2006
  9. Hi Manish,

    Zone Labs has an x64 firewall beta available. I am just getting my x64
    system up and running so I don't know if regular Zone Alarm works with the
    x64 OS yet. I agree with the others, get rid of Norton. It slows the box
    down too much.

    =?Utf-8?B?Vm9vcHRlcg==?=, Feb 21, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?TWFuaXNo?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Feb 21, 2006
  11. Yes, you're correct. Though re-written is relative, one suspects.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 21, 2006
  12. Dear Charlie,

    I know Windows Defender is not an anti-virus, I mean to use it along any
    other Anti-virus or an Internet Security Package.

    Hemanth

    =?Utf-8?B?SGVtYW50aA==?=, Feb 21, 2006
  13. My recommendation would be to use it in conjunction with other AntiSpyware
    utilities such Adaware, WD is not so reliable right now.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Feb 21, 2006
  14. BETA 1 was written in VB, Beta 2 is written in managed C++

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Feb 21, 2006
  15. Dear Andre,

    Lavasoft firewall has problems running on XP x64. Do I have to change any
    configurations on 1.0.543.5722 to make it work on x64?

    Which firewall do you prefer on XP x64?

    Thanks for letting us know about their 'Ad-aware'. It is looking better than
    Windows Defender as it could find some more adware sort of stuffs.

    Hemanth

    =?Utf-8?B?SGVtYW50aA==?=, Feb 21, 2006
  16. =?Utf-8?B?TWFuaXNo?=

    Rick Guest

    There is nothing in the description of Lavasoft firewall that says it is
    Win x64 compatible.

    Operating Systems supported: Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, Windows NT 4,
    Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows 2003 Server

    These are all 32-bit OSs.

    There is a built-in firewall by Microsoft, just like XP 32-bit.

    Zonealarm released a Beta of an x64 version last week. You can go to

    http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/beta/index.html#download

    to read about it and download it.

    Rick, Feb 21, 2006
  17. I have been running Avast 4.6 Professional for months, it works fine.

    =?Utf-8?B?TGl2bw==?=, Feb 21, 2006
  18. Hi

    Thanks...

    But, I have used both Zone Alarm and Avast Firewalls! None of them look
    better to Windows Firewall...

    Hemanth

    =?Utf-8?B?SGVtYW50aA==?=, Feb 21, 2006
  19. I don't use that Firewall, I use the Windows Firewall, its secure enough for
    me and I operate under a limited user account. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Feb 22, 2006
  20. But the Windows Firewall has been signficantly updated with security
    technologies were introduced in Service Pack 2 for Windows XP.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Feb 22, 2006