HELP ME - ECCI.EXE virus/spyware keeps popping back Find, Notepad

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Electric Bike & Scooter Guide, Aug 5, 2003.

  1. Is there anyway to get rid of the ECCI.EXE virus that has imbedded
    itself in my PC and keeps on replicating?

    I've deleted it several times (using Spybot to halt its live operation
    first) but it is resilient and even learns how to stop Spybot from
    ending it as a resident program.

    ECCI.EXE stealhily dials out and can remove ZoneAlarm from memory; or,
    by pass Zone Alarm's dial-out firewall. It has even deleted Zone
    Alarm's alert log.

    Right now, ECCI.EXE re-appears if Windows 98's "find" or "notepad" is
    used. However, Eudora doesn't cause it to re-appear, and this is just
    about the only program that doesn't cause ECCI.EXE to reappear from
    the grave.

    Using Spybot, I've removed ECCI.EXE from the startup programs, but
    once ECCI.EXE re-appears, the startup program sequence contains
    ECCI.EXE again.

    Using "Add/Remove Programs" and the German-made AntiVir9x (a.k.a. Luke
    Filewalker) also causes ECCI.EXE to reappear. Mouse and program
    operations slows down drastically.

    Is there a way to get rid of ECCI.EXE with using Find, Add/Remove
    Programs?

    This virus appeared on our system on 31 July 2003 possibly by email
    attachment with a subject header that sounded like "Current Currency
    Rates" or similar.

    Thanks in advance for all replies.

    Electric Bike & Scooter Guide, Aug 5, 2003

  2. Electric Bike & Scooter Guide

    Jim Watt Guest

    On 4 Aug 2003 17:11:26 -0700, (Electric
    Bike & Scooter Guide) wrote:

    >Is there anyway to get rid of the ECCI.EXE virus that has imbedded
    >itself in my PC and keeps on replicating?
    >
    >I've deleted it several times (using Spybot to halt its live operation
    >first) but it is resilient and even learns how to stop Spybot from
    >ending it as a resident program.
    >
    >ECCI.EXE stealhily dials out and can remove ZoneAlarm from memory; or,
    >by pass Zone Alarm's dial-out firewall. It has even deleted Zone
    >Alarm's alert log.
    >
    >Right now, ECCI.EXE re-appears if Windows 98's "find" or "notepad" is
    >used. However, Eudora doesn't cause it to re-appear, and this is just
    >about the only program that doesn't cause ECCI.EXE to reappear from
    >the grave.
    >
    >Using Spybot, I've removed ECCI.EXE from the startup programs, but
    >once ECCI.EXE re-appears, the startup program sequence contains
    >ECCI.EXE again.
    >
    >Using "Add/Remove Programs" and the German-made AntiVir9x (a.k.a. Luke
    >Filewalker) also causes ECCI.EXE to reappear. Mouse and program
    >operations slows down drastically.
    >
    >Is there a way to get rid of ECCI.EXE with using Find, Add/Remove
    >Programs?
    >
    >This virus appeared on our system on 31 July 2003 possibly by email
    >attachment with a subject header that sounded like "Current Currency
    >Rates" or similar.
    >
    >Thanks in advance for all replies.

    did you read the message from Colonel Flagg ?

    do what he says.
    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Aug 5, 2003