HELP ME DECIDE! please!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Creeper, Sep 7, 2004.

  1. Creeper

    Creeper Guest

    OK, I'm buying a digital (compact) camera. I'm a sucker for
    high-resolution, and 30fps video.

    I want to be able to do night exposures, (northern lights, etc),
    photograph fireworks, and all the usual stuff.

    Would I be being stupid if I thought I could get all this in a
    high-end compact? From what I've seen so far, the Nikon 5700 and 8700
    are the only cameras with Bulb (5-10 mins) settings, with all the
    other similair cameras having 30s max.

    Also, I would really like a manual focus ring, as digital focussing
    makes me furious.

    Am I naive for thinking I can get away with not buying a DSLR? - I'm
    stuck between the highest-end-compact and the lowest-end-DSLR and I'm
    getting more and more confused reading reviews.

    The cameras I'm considering are the Fuji S20, Nikon 8700, and the
    Dimage A1/A2.

    I figure I need a remote capture cable, and can only see one for the
    Nikon (140 pounds????), and Minolta. Are there any decent compacts
    which accept the traditional remote cords?

    PLEASE HELP!!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

    Creeper, Sep 7, 2004

  2. Creeper

    TheNewsGuy Guest

    On 7 Sep 2004 04:20:10 -0700, (Creeper) wrote:

    >I want to be able to do night exposures,

    If all your shots will all be at "infinity" well, okay, but if you
    want to focus in low light situations better try out the 5/8700 first.
    That is the most serious weakness of my 5700.

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    + The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
    + (two mirrored sites)
    + http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym