    Thanks,
    Dean

    , Jun 13, 2006

  2. Pat Coghlan Guest

    Sounds like you want this:

    [analog PBX port]--[adapter]--(IP WAN)--[adapter]--[analog phone]

    I don't think you can use the WAN to emulate the analog loop to the PBX
    port this way.

    In the VoIP world, you typically connect your analog phone to a VoIP
    gateway, which in turn signals to a server using the SIP protocol. That
    server itself, or another server in the WAN, will have a trunk to the
    network where your destination analog phone resides.

    The trunks to the destination networks can be T1, ATM etc.

    Pat Coghlan, Jun 13, 2006

  3. <> wrote in message
    > I have a Nortel Meridian PBX. I am looking for an inexpensive way to
    > connect something (VOIP gateway?) to an analog port that will connect
    > over IP to a VOIP phone on my newtork. So if I pick up the VOIP phone,
    > it will "pick up" the analog line on my PBX and I can make a call.
    >
    > This is to allow me to put phones in remote trailers where I have
    > ethernet, but no telephone cabling.
    >
    > What route should I pursue?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dean

    Dean,

    You might look at this vendor:
    http://www.quintum.com/enterprise/en_appnotes.html. Take note of the case
    "PBX extension". I *think* this is what you're after.

    Jonathan Roberts, Jun 14, 2006