Help Making Decision

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Raymond, Dec 16, 2003.

  1. Raymond

    Raymond Guest

    I friend of mine is giving away a PC to me, but he has two PCs in which I
    can choose. And I want a PC that can handle pretty tough 3D graphic in
    games because it is what I am going to use that PC for: Games playing. The
    twos PC choices are:

    1) Intel celeron Processor 2.5g hert with VIA motherboard, 256 DDR PC 2700
    Ram, And 10g hard drive. This Pc is brand new.

    2) Intel Pentium 3 Processor 1.0g hert with Tyan motherboard. The
    motherboard has duel processors but only one Intel pentium 3 processor is
    installed. This pc has 1g PC 133 ram and a 12 g hard drive. This PC has
    been used for awhile.

    I want to use the chosen PC for games such as counter strike and battlefield
    1942. I check the minimum hardware requirements for Battle 1942 which
    require a PIII processor with 500Mhert. My question is that would a celeron
    2.5 g hert is equal to the processing power of PIII with 500mhert? I heard
    that celeron cannot handle 3d or tough graphic pretty well. Is this true?

    Please help me choose bachelor #1 or bachelor # 2! hehehehehe.

    Thank You.
    Raymond, Dec 16, 2003

  2. Raymond

    Danny Kile Guest

    Raymond wrote:
    > I friend of mine is giving away a PC to me, but he has two PCs in which I
    > can choose. And I want a PC that can handle pretty tough 3D graphic in
    > games because it is what I am going to use that PC for: Games playing. The
    > twos PC choices are:
    >
    > 1) Intel celeron Processor 2.5g hert with VIA motherboard, 256 DDR PC 2700
    > Ram, And 10g hard drive. This Pc is brand new.
    >
    > 2) Intel Pentium 3 Processor 1.0g hert with Tyan motherboard. The
    > motherboard has duel processors but only one Intel pentium 3 processor is
    > installed. This pc has 1g PC 133 ram and a 12 g hard drive. This PC has
    > been used for awhile.
    >
    > I want to use the chosen PC for games such as counter strike and battlefield
    > 1942. I check the minimum hardware requirements for Battle 1942 which
    > require a PIII processor with 500Mhert. My question is that would a celeron
    > 2.5 g hert is equal to the processing power of PIII with 500mhert? I heard
    > that celeron cannot handle 3d or tough graphic pretty well. Is this true?
    >
    > Please help me choose bachelor #1 or bachelor # 2! hehehehehe.
    >
    > Thank You.

    I personally would chose bachelor #2. The P3 is a better processor than
    the Celeron. And with 4 time the memory that is where the real boost
    will come in. Plus the extra 2GB hard drive space will not hurt. That is
    my 2 cents worth.

    --
    Danny Kile
    Please reply to the Newsgroup ONLY

    "Dogs come when they're called, CATS take a message and get back to
    you." Mary Bly
    Danny Kile, Dec 16, 2003

  3. Raymond

    Ghost Guest

    In article <tytDb.1714$>, Danny Kile
    <> wrote:

    > Raymond wrote:
    > > I friend of mine is giving away a PC to me, but he has two PCs in which I
    > > can choose. And I want a PC that can handle pretty tough 3D graphic in
    > > games because it is what I am going to use that PC for: Games playing. The
    > > twos PC choices are:
    > >
    > > 1) Intel celeron Processor 2.5g hert with VIA motherboard, 256 DDR PC 2700
    > > Ram, And 10g hard drive. This Pc is brand new.
    > >
    > > 2) Intel Pentium 3 Processor 1.0g hert with Tyan motherboard. The
    > > motherboard has duel processors but only one Intel pentium 3 processor is
    > > installed. This pc has 1g PC 133 ram and a 12 g hard drive. This PC has
    > > been used for awhile.
    > >
    > > I want to use the chosen PC for games such as counter strike and battlefield
    > > 1942. I check the minimum hardware requirements for Battle 1942 which
    > > require a PIII processor with 500Mhert. My question is that would a celeron
    > > 2.5 g hert is equal to the processing power of PIII with 500mhert? I heard
    > > that celeron cannot handle 3d or tough graphic pretty well. Is this true?
    > >
    > > Please help me choose bachelor #1 or bachelor # 2! hehehehehe.
    > >
    > > Thank You.
    > >

    > I personally would chose bachelor #2. The P3 is a better processor than
    > the Celeron. And with 4 time the memory that is where the real boost
    > will come in. Plus the extra 2GB hard drive space will not hurt. That is
    > my 2 cents worth.

    Well, yes, to a point... however, if you plan on going dual chips, you
    will need to buy 2 more CPUs since it is highly unlikely you will be able
    to find an exact match for the existing chip. Dual chips have to be
    identical- right down to the lot numbers.
    Ghost, Dec 16, 2003
  4. Raymond

    Frederic Guest

    I've been able to compare PIII 600Mhz and celeron 1.2 Ghz and celeron was
    faster. Newest celeron are based on PIV technology wich is better than
    PIII's. Don't forget that system bus speed is always the bottleneck and with
    the newest celeron you can have a 400Mhz system bus which is very impressive
    compared to 100Mhz for PIII. RAM is great but nowadays it's not that
    expensive.

    http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/processors/celeron/index.htm
    http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/processors/pentiumIII/

    Tom's hardware published a benchmark and you'll see that celeron 2.5ghz is
    better than PIII
    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030217/index.html

    --
    Frederic
    MCP, IT Project+, i-Net+, CIWA, A+

    Frederic, Dec 16, 2003
  5. Raymond

    Danny Kile Guest

    Ghost wrote:

    > In article <tytDb.1714$>, Danny Kile
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Raymond wrote:
    >>
    >>>I friend of mine is giving away a PC to me, but he has two PCs in which I
    >>>can choose. And I want a PC that can handle pretty tough 3D graphic in
    >>>games because it is what I am going to use that PC for: Games playing. The
    >>>twos PC choices are:
    >>>
    >>>1) Intel celeron Processor 2.5g hert with VIA motherboard, 256 DDR PC 2700
    >>>Ram, And 10g hard drive. This Pc is brand new.
    >>>
    >>>2) Intel Pentium 3 Processor 1.0g hert with Tyan motherboard. The
    >>>motherboard has duel processors but only one Intel pentium 3 processor is
    >>>installed. This pc has 1g PC 133 ram and a 12 g hard drive. This PC has
    >>>been used for awhile.
    >>>
    >>>I want to use the chosen PC for games such as counter strike and battlefield
    >>>1942. I check the minimum hardware requirements for Battle 1942 which
    >>>require a PIII processor with 500Mhert. My question is that would a celeron
    >>>2.5 g hert is equal to the processing power of PIII with 500mhert? I heard
    >>>that celeron cannot handle 3d or tough graphic pretty well. Is this true?
    >>>
    >>>Please help me choose bachelor #1 or bachelor # 2! hehehehehe.
    >>>
    >>>Thank You.
    >>>

    >>I personally would chose bachelor #2. The P3 is a better processor than
    >>the Celeron. And with 4 time the memory that is where the real boost
    >>will come in. Plus the extra 2GB hard drive space will not hurt. That is
    >>my 2 cents worth.

    > Well, yes, to a point... however, if you plan on going dual chips, you
    > will need to buy 2 more CPUs since it is highly unlikely you will be able
    > to find an exact match for the existing chip. Dual chips have to be
    > identical- right down to the lot numbers.

    Even without the dual chips, bachelor #2 it a better hunk that bachelor

    Danny Kile, Dec 16, 2003
  6. Raymond

    Ghost Guest

    In article <oauDb.466$>, Danny Kile
    <> wrote:

    > Ghost wrote:
    >
    > > In article <tytDb.1714$>, Danny Kile
    > > <> wrote:

    battlefield

    celeron

    > >>I personally would chose bachelor #2. The P3 is a better processor than
    > >>the Celeron. And with 4 time the memory that is where the real boost
    > >>will come in. Plus the extra 2GB hard drive space will not hurt. That is
    > >>my 2 cents worth.

    > > Well, yes, to a point... however, if you plan on going dual chips, you
    > > will need to buy 2 more CPUs since it is highly unlikely you will be able
    > > to find an exact match for the existing chip. Dual chips have to be
    > > identical- right down to the lot numbers.

    > Even without the dual chips, bachelor #2 it a better hunk that bachelor
    > #1. Sort-to-speak.

    ya know.. I do not know if I can agree... or if I can disagree... True
    the P3 is a Pentium, but the Celeron is 2.5GHz vs 1GHz. True, #2 has a
    gig of RAM, but the RAM in #1 is DDR which is considerably faster (and DDR
    is cheap right now).. The difference between a 12GB HDD and a 10GB HDD is
    negligible.

    What about the mobos- do either have on board video or an AGP video card
    (I prefer a seperate video card for sure)

    I think if I were to choose, I would go with system #1, unless it had on
    board video and #2 had a video card..

    This is going to be one of those things where we can all argue ad nauseum
    over the details, with nobody being really "right". It will only be
    opinions.
    Ghost, Dec 16, 2003
  7. Raymond

    hootnholler Guest

    Hey Ray,

    Just to throw my $.02 into the ring...

    I would take the first pc. With what information you have given, that would
    be my reaction, but of course, there are some caveats...

    As Barry mentioned, the 2.5 is quite a performance jump over the 1 gig p3.
    Even with the lesser L2 cache, the celery should have an edge over the p3 in
    almost everything. Plus, as another user posted, the bus speeds (RAM) is
    what usually bottlenecks systems on gaming. Plus, the Tyan is an awesome
    board, but for gaming, may not notice that big of an increase. Most games
    do not take advantage of the hyperthreading of dual processors. Granted,
    the games you mentioned are very new, and they may use it, but I would think
    not, without some form of patch with the new 64 bit processors.

    If the celery is using onboard sound or video, fix that right away. You
    should be able to play either game that you mentioned natively on that
    system, but anything onboard is really going to slow that machine down. If
    you are using the cpu to decode sounds, or render graphics, the lack of
    cache is going to hurt you, tremendously. If you are able to disable the
    onboard, and add some extra hardware, that would be a decent gaming system.
    You won't see 300 fps in high res, but you could probably push the 100 fps
    envelope. Try an ATI 9600 XT (about $200) and a good sound card, like the
    audigy (1, not 2, for about $100). You'll notice a HUGE difference.

    Hoot

    hootnholler, Dec 16, 2003
  8. Raymond

    Raymond Guest

    Try an ATI 9600 XT (about $200) and a good sound card, like the
    audigy (1, not 2, for about $100). You'll notice a HUGE difference.

    Thank You all very much. By the way, bachelor number 1 and 2 do not have
    built in video card. They both have a ATI Radeon 8500 LE 64 Mg video card.
    The P3 does not have audio built in neither.

    Thanks again
    Raymond, Dec 16, 2003
  9. Raymond

    Tony Guest

    Celerons are crap. Stay away, especially if you need power for gaming.
    I wouldnt take the celeron for free. Go with the P3.

    Tony

    Tony, Dec 16, 2003
  10. Raymond

    Raymond Guest

    You don't know what you are talking about. A Celeron is just a P3 or P4
    (depending on the clock speed) with a slightly different and smaller
    cache system. Fundamentally, it's the same CPU, and the performance
    difference between a Celeron and the P3 or P4 chip that it's based on is
    in the area of 15% to 20%, for which you get a cost reduction of
    typically more than 50%.

    I can get both systems if I can fix two of my server machines and give them
    to the guy that gives me the celeron and P3 for free. He wants my P2 server
    machine. However, I got these two P2 server machines from someone people
    that got these server machines infected or hacked into with a virus on their
    hard drive. I do a scan and found the infect files. I quarantined, then
    went ahead and format the hard drive of the P2 server altogether. Then, I
    tried to install xp os from the cdrom, boot from cdrom, it won't boot from
    the cdrom. Instead, it just keeps restart to the ram count sreen. I tried
    to boot from the floppy, attempting to use fdisk. It won't work either. It
    just keeps restart to the ram count screen and keeps restart, and restart
    forever. Anyone know how to fix this? I got only 12 hours to get the P2
    fixed and give them to the guy. Otherwise, I can only get one free P4
    celeron or a P3..
    Raymond, Dec 16, 2003
  11. On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:04:20 -0600, "Raymond"
    <> wrote:

    >You don't know what you are talking about. A Celeron is just a P3 or P4
    >(depending on the clock speed) with a slightly different and smaller
    >cache system. Fundamentally, it's the same CPU, and the performance
    >difference between a Celeron and the P3 or P4 chip that it's based on is
    >in the area of 15% to 20%, for which you get a cost reduction of
    >typically more than 50%.
    >>>>>

    >I can get both systems if I can fix two of my server machines and give them
    >to the guy that gives me the celeron and P3 for free. He wants my P2 server
    >machine. However, I got these two P2 server machines from someone people
    >that got these server machines infected or hacked into with a virus on their
    >hard drive. I do a scan and found the infect files. I quarantined, then
    >went ahead and format the hard drive of the P2 server altogether. Then, I
    >tried to install xp os from the cdrom, boot from cdrom, it won't boot from
    >the cdrom. Instead, it just keeps restart to the ram count sreen. I tried
    >to boot from the floppy, attempting to use fdisk. It won't work either. It
    >just keeps restart to the ram count screen and keeps restart, and restart
    >forever. Anyone know how to fix this? I got only 12 hours to get the P2
    >fixed and give them to the guy. Otherwise, I can only get one free P4
    >celeron or a P3..

    Why didn't you "mention" that in the first place?

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Dec 17, 2003