Help Making an Audio Disk

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jack Gillis, Jul 7, 2006.

  1. Jack Gillis

    Jack Gillis Guest

    I am using Windows XP Home and venturing into an entirely new area for me.

    I want to take one or two tracks from each of several CD's and combine them
    into one CD so I can play it in my car or other CD player. I think that
    means each track would have to be .cda one. Is that correct?

    Here is what I have done so far.

    Copied the tracks I wanted from the CD's into a folder named Music to Be
    Burned. I planned to use Nero to burn these songs onto an Audio CD.
    Clearly, that approach didn't work. The files in the folder are all
    1KB --somewhat small to be a complete song.

    My experience with using Windows Media Player is pretty much limited to it
    coming up when some page on the Web wants me to hear something. I use Nero
    to produce Data CD's quite comfortably but this is the first try in making
    an Audio CD.

    Will someone please outline the steps I need to take to make a CD that
    contains a selection of tracks from multiple CD's?

    Thank you very much.

    Jack Gillis, Jul 7, 2006

  2. Jack Gillis

    Guest

    Jack Gillis wrote:
    > I am using Windows XP Home and venturing into an entirely new area for me.
    >
    > I want to take one or two tracks from each of several CD's and combine them
    > into one CD so I can play it in my car or other CD player. I think that
    > means each track would have to be .cda one. Is that correct?
    >
    > Here is what I have done so far.
    >
    > Copied the tracks I wanted from the CD's into a folder named Music to Be
    > Burned. I planned to use Nero to burn these songs onto an Audio CD.
    > Clearly, that approach didn't work. The files in the folder are all
    > 1KB --somewhat small to be a complete song.

    Which cds? :)

    here, http://hqscene.fatty.dk

    If your going to rip cds, you might as well do it the way we do it in
    the scene.

    > Will someone please outline the steps I need to take to make a CD that
    > contains a selection of tracks from multiple CD's?

    Read the site, get the software, if you still have questions, post.

    , Jul 7, 2006

  3. Jack Gillis

    dadiOH Guest

    Jack Gillis wrote:
    > I am using Windows XP Home and venturing into an entirely new area
    > for me.
    >
    > I want to take one or two tracks from each of several CD's and
    > combine them into one CD so I can play it in my car or other CD
    > player. I think that means each track would have to be .cda one.
    > Is that correct?
    >
    > Here is what I have done so far.
    >
    > Copied the tracks I wanted from the CD's into a folder named Music to
    > Be Burned. I planned to use Nero to burn these songs onto an Audio
    > CD. Clearly, that approach didn't work. The files in the folder are
    > all 1KB --somewhat small to be a complete song.
    >
    > My experience with using Windows Media Player is pretty much limited
    > to it coming up when some page on the Web wants me to hear something.
    > I use Nero to produce Data CD's quite comfortably but this is the
    > first try in making an Audio CD.

    WinExplorer shows you what are essentially shortcuts to the songs on the
    CD...that's what you copied, not the songs themselves.

    What you need to do is copy the songs themselves - the data contained in
    each - to your hard drive saving them as wave files. Those wave files can
    then be written as an audio CD.

    The copying process is known as "ripping". You may be able to do it with
    WinXP itself or WMP (don't know, don't use them) but if not you can with
    CDex or Audiograbber (or others).

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdexos/
    http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Jul 7, 2006
  4. Jack Gillis

    Jack Gillis Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Jack Gillis wrote:
    >> I am using Windows XP Home and venturing into an entirely new area for
    >> me.
    >>
    >> I want to take one or two tracks from each of several CD's and combine
    >> them
    >> into one CD so I can play it in my car or other CD player. I think that
    >> means each track would have to be .cda one. Is that correct?
    >>
    >> Here is what I have done so far.
    >>
    >> Copied the tracks I wanted from the CD's into a folder named Music to Be
    >> Burned. I planned to use Nero to burn these songs onto an Audio CD.
    >> Clearly, that approach didn't work. The files in the folder are all
    >> 1KB --somewhat small to be a complete song.

    > Which cds? :)

    Do you mean the name of the CD? For the most part they will be Jimmy
    Buffett CD's, Banana Wind and Songs We know By Heart plus a few other
    artists.

    > here, http://hqscene.fatty.dk
    >
    > If your going to rip cds, you might as well do it the way we do it in
    > the scene.
    >
    >> Will someone please outline the steps I need to take to make a CD that
    >> contains a selection of tracks from multiple CD's?

    > Read the site, get the software, if you still have questions, post.

    OK, I looked at the site and quickly went to the closet to find my snorkel
    gear for I was in over my head.
    It seems, from the site, I would wind up with a combined CD of mp3 files
    which won't play on my car's built in Radio/CD/Tape gear.

    Thanks for your reply. It will lead me to further research.

    Jack Gillis, Jul 7, 2006
  5. Jack Gillis

    Margolotta Guest

    On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 17:36:21 +0100, Jack Gillis wrote
    (in article <>):

    > I am using Windows XP Home and venturing into an entirely new area for me.
    >
    > I want to take one or two tracks from each of several CD's and combine them
    > into one CD so I can play it in my car or other CD player. I think that
    > means each track would have to be .cda one. Is that correct?
    >
    > Here is what I have done so far.
    >
    > Copied the tracks I wanted from the CD's into a folder named Music to Be
    > Burned. I planned to use Nero to burn these songs onto an Audio CD.
    > Clearly, that approach didn't work. The files in the folder are all
    > 1KB --somewhat small to be a complete song.
    >
    > My experience with using Windows Media Player is pretty much limited to it
    > coming up when some page on the Web wants me to hear something. I use Nero
    > to produce Data CD's quite comfortably but this is the first try in making
    > an Audio CD.
    >
    > Will someone please outline the steps I need to take to make a CD that
    > contains a selection of tracks from multiple CD's?
    >
    > Thank you very much.

    One word: - iTunes. Piece of piss. Rip the discs (make sure you have it set
    to a lossless format or, if you must use a lossy one, then I suggest you use
    MP3 and set it for the highest bitrate you can - 192kbps as a bare minimum.)

    Once you've set the format you wish to rip to, then it's just a matter of
    sticking the discs in and ripping. The tracks will all rip to the library,
    but you can easily set it to group by album and then set up individual
    playlists (select the tracks and then choose 'create playlist from selection'
    from the tools menu, IIRC - I don't use it on a PC). Then decide whatever you
    want to call the compilation, set up a playlist and drag your chosen tracks
    to it. Stick a blank disc in the drive and click the 'burn disc' icon in the
    top right corner. Done. And it's quick too - I can burn a 20-track disc in
    about 2 minutes.

    Margolotta, Jul 7, 2006
  6. Jack Gillis

    Dirk Guest

    > Will someone please outline the steps I need to take to make a CD that
    > contains a selection of tracks from multiple CD's?
    >
    > Thank you very much.

    Jack,

    Don't listen to these people, they make it more complicated then it
    really is.

    All you need to do is put in the cd you want to take music from and
    using nero select the extract button to copy the music on to your pc.

    Dirk, Jul 7, 2006
  7. Jack Gillis

    Guest

    Dirk wrote:
    > > Will someone please outline the steps I need to take to make a CD that
    > > contains a selection of tracks from multiple CD's?
    > >
    > > Thank you very much.

    > Jack,
    >
    > Don't listen to these people, they make it more complicated then it
    > really is.

    It's not complicated. If he wants to ensure an accurate rip of the
    audio track(s), he should be using EAC or CDEX. In secure mode rip...
    If he doesn't care if the track skips, pops or wasn't copied right, he
    should take your advice. It's quick painless, and has good potential
    for errors.

    , Jul 7, 2006
  8. Jack Gillis

    Jack Gillis Guest

    "Dirk" <> wrote in message

    >> Will someone please outline the steps I need to take to make a CD that
    >> contains a selection of tracks from multiple CD's?
    >>
    >> Thank you very much.

    > Jack,
    >
    > Don't listen to these people, they make it more complicated then it
    > really is.
    >
    > All you need to do is put in the cd you want to take music from and
    > using nero select the extract button to copy the music on to your pc.

    Thank you very much.

    Sounds good to me except I can't find the extract button. I am using Nero
    6.6.1.4. Maybe I need later version?

    Jack Gillis, Jul 7, 2006
  9. Jack Gillis

    Dirk Guest

    wrote:

    > It's not complicated. If he wants to ensure an accurate rip of the
    > audio track(s), he should be using EAC or CDEX. In secure mode rip...
    > If he doesn't care if the track skips, pops or wasn't copied right, he
    > should take your advice. It's quick painless, and has good potential
    > for errors.

    Who the hell are you kidding, you don't need all that crap, they are
    all "acurate rips". What maybe one in hundred rips would skip, if that.

    Jack just extract it and you will have no problems.

    Dirk, Jul 7, 2006
  10. Jack Gillis

    Dirk Guest

    Jack Gillis wrote:
    > Sounds good to me except I can't find the extract button. I am using Nero
    > 6.6.1.4. Maybe I need later version?

    I don't use nero but it is a unvirsal way doing it. There should be
    dorp down menu or something where you would choose where you want to
    get the music files from, ie C:, my documents, etc. Select whatever
    your cd drive is called amke sure your store bought cd is in the drive
    when you do this then there should be an extract button or something
    similar to that wording and then you will be able to copy the files.

    Dirk, Jul 7, 2006
  11. Jack Gillis

    geothermal Guest

    Jack Gillis wrote:

    > I am using Windows XP Home and venturing into an entirely new area for me.
    >
    > I want to take one or two tracks from each of several CD's and combine them
    > into one CD so I can play it in my car or other CD player. I think that
    > means each track would have to be .cda one. Is that correct?
    >
    > Here is what I have done so far.
    >
    > Copied the tracks I wanted from the CD's into a folder named Music to Be
    > Burned. I planned to use Nero to burn these songs onto an Audio CD.
    > Clearly, that approach didn't work. The files in the folder are all
    > 1KB --somewhat small to be a complete song.
    >
    > My experience with using Windows Media Player is pretty much limited to it
    > coming up when some page on the Web wants me to hear something. I use Nero
    > to produce Data CD's quite comfortably but this is the first try in making
    > an Audio CD.
    >
    > Will someone please outline the steps I need to take to make a CD that
    > contains a selection of tracks from multiple CD's?
    >
    > Thank you very much.

    1KB ? That seems the size for a shortcut to a file.

    Which version of Windows Media Player are you using ?

    geothermal

    --
    "They gave each other a smile with a future in it.
    - Ring Lardner

    geothermal, Jul 7, 2006
  12. Jack Gillis

    Jack Gillis Guest

    "geothermal" <> wrote in message
    > Jack Gillis wrote:
    >
    >> I am using Windows XP Home and venturing into an entirely new area for
    >> me.
    >>
    >> I want to take one or two tracks from each of several CD's and combine
    >> them into one CD so I can play it in my car or other CD player. I think
    >> that means each track would have to be .cda one. Is that correct?
    >>
    >> Here is what I have done so far.
    >>
    >> Copied the tracks I wanted from the CD's into a folder named Music to Be
    >> Burned. I planned to use Nero to burn these songs onto an Audio CD.
    >> Clearly, that approach didn't work. The files in the folder are all
    >> 1KB --somewhat small to be a complete song.
    >>
    >> My experience with using Windows Media Player is pretty much limited to
    >> it coming up when some page on the Web wants me to hear something. I use
    >> Nero to produce Data CD's quite comfortably but this is the first try in
    >> making an Audio CD.
    >>
    >> Will someone please outline the steps I need to take to make a CD that
    >> contains a selection of tracks from multiple CD's?
    >>
    >> Thank you very much.

    > 1KB ? That seems the size for a shortcut to a file.
    >
    > Which version of Windows Media Player are you using ?
    >
    > geothermal

    Version 10 of the Media Player

    Jack Gillis, Jul 7, 2006
  13. Jack Gillis

    Margolotta Guest

    On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 19:58:04 +0100, Dirk wrote
    (in article <>):

    >> Will someone please outline the steps I need to take to make a CD that
    >> contains a selection of tracks from multiple CD's?
    >>
    >> Thank you very much.

    > Jack,
    >
    > Don't listen to these people, they make it more complicated then it
    > really is.
    >
    > All you need to do is put in the cd you want to take music from and
    > using nero select the extract button to copy the music on to your pc.

    And how do you know he's got Nero? I've re-read his original post and nowhere
    does he mention it. Yes, he can use Nero if he's got it (and I think the
    'extract it' function is only available on more recent versions) but why
    should he spend $100 when he can do the same thing with iTunes for free? And
    can you extract tracks from multiple CDs prior to burning the compilation
    with Nero? I wouldn't know because it's ages since I've used it (there isn't
    a Mac version).

    Okay, it may be a little bit more long-winded using iTunes but, unless you'd
    won the lottery, would you spend $100 to save 5 minutes?

    Margolotta, Jul 7, 2006
  14. Jack Gillis

    Jack Gillis Guest

    I am not familiar with the protocols of this NG when it comes to
    acknowledging all who replied so I will just reply to myself.

    Thank you everyone. I now have, with your help, the problem solved.

    I do have one quick question. I seemed to have a reliability problem when
    burning to a CD RW just to make sure I had every thing as I wanted. The CD
    RW didn't always playback as it should. I kept getting, now an then a
    "Check CD" message from the car player. I burned to a CDR and everything is
    fine for now. Are CD RW's a no-no for audio CD's?

    Thanks again to all.

    Jack Gillis, Jul 7, 2006
  15. Jack Gillis

    ProfGene Guest

    Jack Gillis wrote:
    > I am using Windows XP Home and venturing into an entirely new area for me.
    >
    > I want to take one or two tracks from each of several CD's and combine them
    > into one CD so I can play it in my car or other CD player. I think that
    > means each track would have to be .cda one. Is that correct?
    >
    > Here is what I have done so far.
    >
    > Copied the tracks I wanted from the CD's into a folder named Music to Be
    > Burned. I planned to use Nero to burn these songs onto an Audio CD.
    > Clearly, that approach didn't work. The files in the folder are all
    > 1KB --somewhat small to be a complete song.
    >
    > My experience with using Windows Media Player is pretty much limited to it
    > coming up when some page on the Web wants me to hear something. I use Nero
    > to produce Data CD's quite comfortably but this is the first try in making
    > an Audio CD.
    >
    > Will someone please outline the steps I need to take to make a CD that
    > contains a selection of tracks from multiple CD's?
    >
    > Thank you very much.

    You have to get a ripper program and rip the ones you want. If you just
    copy them you can't make an audio cd from that. You need wave files
    which is what you set your ripper to create. A good free ripper is EAC,
    Exact Audio Copy.

    ProfGene, Jul 8, 2006
  16. Jack Gillis

    PeeCee Guest

    "Jack Gillis" <> wrote in message
    >I am not familiar with the protocols of this NG when it comes to
    > acknowledging all who replied so I will just reply to myself.
    >
    > Thank you everyone. I now have, with your help, the problem solved.
    >
    > I do have one quick question. I seemed to have a reliability problem when
    > burning to a CD RW just to make sure I had every thing as I wanted. The
    > CD
    > RW didn't always playback as it should. I kept getting, now an then a
    > "Check CD" message from the car player. I burned to a CDR and everything
    > is
    > fine for now. Are CD RW's a no-no for audio CD's?
    >
    > Thanks again to all.

    Your CD player in your car is simply finding it difficult to read the lower
    reflectivity dye used in CDRW's.
    Compare the dye's and you'll see CDRW's are quite a bit darker than CDR's
    P.

    PeeCee, Jul 8, 2006
  17. Jack Gillis

    Jack Gillis Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message

    > "Jack Gillis" <> wrote in message
    >>I am not familiar with the protocols of this NG when it comes to
    >> acknowledging all who replied so I will just reply to myself.
    >>
    >> Thank you everyone. I now have, with your help, the problem solved.
    >>
    >> I do have one quick question. I seemed to have a reliability problem
    >> when
    >> burning to a CD RW just to make sure I had every thing as I wanted. The
    >> CD
    >> RW didn't always playback as it should. I kept getting, now an then a
    >> "Check CD" message from the car player. I burned to a CDR and everything
    >> is
    >> fine for now. Are CD RW's a no-no for audio CD's?
    >>
    >> Thanks again to all.

    > Your CD player in your car is simply finding it difficult to read the
    > lower reflectivity dye used in CDRW's.
    > Compare the dye's and you'll see CDRW's are quite a bit darker than CDR's
    > P.

    Hmmm. That suggests that maybe I ought to clean the player.

    Thank you very much.

    Jack Gillis, Jul 8, 2006
  18. Jack Gillis

    Jack Gillis Guest

    "ProfGene" <> wrote in message
    > Jack Gillis wrote:
    >> I am using Windows XP Home and venturing into an entirely new area for
    >> me.
    >>
    >> I want to take one or two tracks from each of several CD's and combine
    >> them into one CD so I can play it in my car or other CD player. I think
    >> that means each track would have to be .cda one. Is that correct?
    >>
    >> Here is what I have done so far.
    >>
    >> Copied the tracks I wanted from the CD's into a folder named Music to Be
    >> Burned. I planned to use Nero to burn these songs onto an Audio CD.
    >> Clearly, that approach didn't work. The files in the folder are all
    >> 1KB --somewhat small to be a complete song.
    >>
    >> My experience with using Windows Media Player is pretty much limited to
    >> it coming up when some page on the Web wants me to hear something. I use
    >> Nero to produce Data CD's quite comfortably but this is the first try in
    >> making an Audio CD.
    >>
    >> Will someone please outline the steps I need to take to make a CD that
    >> contains a selection of tracks from multiple CD's?
    >>
    >> Thank you very much.

    > You have to get a ripper program and rip the ones you want. If you just
    > copy them you can't make an audio cd from that. You need wave files which
    > is what you set your ripper to create. A good free ripper is EAC, Exact
    > Audio Copy.

    I had assumed I should rip them as MP3. After following the links provided
    by many in this thread, I come to the conclusion that I would obtain better
    quality if I ripped them as .wav lossless. Is that the case?

    Thank you.

    Jack Gillis, Jul 8, 2006
  19. Jack Gillis mumbled incoherently in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "PeeCee" <> wrote in message

    snip

    >> Your CD player in your car is simply finding it difficult to read the
    >> lower reflectivity dye used in CDRW's.
    >> Compare the dye's and you'll see CDRW's are quite a bit darker than
    >> CDR's P.
    >>

    > Hmmm. That suggests that maybe I ought to clean the player.
    >
    > Thank you very much.

    Not necessarily, it simply may not be capable of reading a CD-RW
    consistently. My car player reads CD-RWs fine, but I see no point in using
    'em, with the price of CD-Rs as low as they are.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    What is the difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers?

    The Old Sourdough, Jul 8, 2006
  20. Jack Gillis

    fred-bloggs Guest

    "Jack Gillis" <> wrote in

    > "ProfGene" <> wrote in message
    >> Jack Gillis wrote:
    >>> I am using Windows XP Home and venturing into an entirely new area
    >>> for me.
    >>>
    >>> I want to take one or two tracks from each of several CD's and
    >>> combine them into one CD so I can play it in my car or other CD
    >>> player. I think that means each track would have to be .cda one.
    >>> Is that correct?
    >>>
    >>> Here is what I have done so far.
    >>>
    >>> Copied the tracks I wanted from the CD's into a folder named Music
    >>> to Be Burned. I planned to use Nero to burn these songs onto an
    >>> Audio CD. Clearly, that approach didn't work. The files in the
    >>> folder are all 1KB --somewhat small to be a complete song.
    >>>
    >>> My experience with using Windows Media Player is pretty much limited
    >>> to it coming up when some page on the Web wants me to hear
    >>> something. I use Nero to produce Data CD's quite comfortably but
    >>> this is the first try in making an Audio CD.
    >>>
    >>> Will someone please outline the steps I need to take to make a CD
    >>> that contains a selection of tracks from multiple CD's?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you very much.

    >> You have to get a ripper program and rip the ones you want. If you
    >> just copy them you can't make an audio cd from that. You need wave
    >> files which is what you set your ripper to create. A good free ripper
    >> is EAC, Exact Audio Copy.

    > I had assumed I should rip them as MP3. After following the links
    > provided by many in this thread, I come to the conclusion that I would
    > obtain better quality if I ripped them as .wav lossless. Is that the
    > case?
    >
    > Thank you.

    If your intention is to make another *audio* CD, then you should be
    ripping each track to a 16 bit, stereo, linear PCM .wav file (this is the
    default format). You can then burn the .wavs to CD in the order you
    choose.

    Some modern CD players will play mp3 as well. If your car CD is mp3
    capable then rip to mp3s and burn them to a *data* CD.

    --
    fred

    fred-bloggs, Jul 8, 2006