Help - Loss of both Wireless / Internet Connections

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcHB5?=, Oct 23, 2006.

  1. I have the following setup:

    1) Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless ADSAL Firewall Router (DG834G)
    2) Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter (WG111)
    3) PC Desktop with Windows XP Professional SP2

    This setup was working without any problems until 4 weeks ago but I often
    lose both wireless and internet connection. It takes upto 10 seconds to
    return but is very frustrating.

    I have de-installed and re-installed all necessary software in an attempt to
    fix the problem but to no avail.

    My network is using Channel 11 (G), with WEP security and Mode Access Point.
    I have three other networks in range – but have no idea who owns them.

    These other networks are:

    1) Network A using Channel 6 (G), with WEP security and Mode Access Point
    2) Network A using Channel 6 (B), with WEP security and Mode Access Point
    3) Network B using Channel 11(B), with WEP security and Mode Access.

    Is it possible that one of these other networks is causing some interference
    which causes me to lose the Internet / Wireless connection? If this is so
    what can be done to overcome the problem?

    If interference is not the problem does anyone have any idea what it is and
    how it can be fixed?

    Many Thanks
    Chappy

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcHB5?=, Oct 23, 2006

  2. Hi
    Since the others are on channels 6 and 11, switch your system to channel 1
    and see what happens.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 23, 2006

  3. Jack

    Unfortunately this made the problem worse. Is there anything else that you
    could advise.

    Thanks
    Chappy

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcHB5?=, Oct 26, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcHB5?=

    Lem Guest

    Chappy wrote:
    > Jack
    >
    > Unfortunately this made the problem worse. Is there anything else that you
    > could advise.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Chappy
    >

    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> Since the others are on channels 6 and 11, switch your system to channel 1
    >> and see what happens.
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "Chappy" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have the following setup:
    >>>
    >>> 1) Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless ADSAL Firewall Router (DG834G)
    >>> 2) Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter (WG111)
    >>> 3) PC Desktop with Windows XP Professional SP2
    >>>
    >>> This setup was working without any problems until 4 weeks ago but now I often
    >>> lose both wireless and internet connection. It takes upto 10 seconds to
    >>> return but is very frustrating.
    >>>
    >>> I have de-installed and re-installed all necessary software in an attempt
    >>> fix the problem but to no avail.
    >>>
    >>> My network is using Channel 11 (G), with WEP security and Mode Access
    >>> Point.
    >>> I have three other networks in range - but have no idea who owns them.
    >>>
    >>> These other networks are:
    >>>
    >>> 1) Network A using Channel 6 (G), with WEP security and Mode Access Point
    >>> 2) Network A using Channel 6 (B), with WEP security and Mode Access
    >>> Point
    >>> 3) Network B using Channel 11(B), with WEP security and Mode Access.
    >>>
    >>> Is it possible that one of these other networks is causing some
    >>> interference
    >>> which causes me to lose the Internet / Wireless connection? If this is so
    >>> what can be done to overcome the problem?
    >>>
    >>> If interference is not the problem does anyone have any idea what it is
    >>> and
    >>> how it can be fixed?
    >>>
    >>> Many Thanks
    >>> Chappy

    If there's no obvious nearby source of interference (e.g., microwave
    ovens, 2.4 GHz cordless phones, Bluetooth devices, baby monitors), one
    of your neighboring networks may be using a "draft-N" or "pre-N" wifi
    network device. I generally take things written by George Ou with a
    very large grain of salt, but in this case, he's not far off the mark.
    I haven't seen anything since about last June (not that I follow this
    issue closely), so I don't know if there's been any progress made since
    then.

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=247
    http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/03/13/802_11n_backwards_compatibility_issues/

    The interference issue is one reason that the IEEE has not yet adopted
    the proposed 802.11(n) standard.

    Short of some fairly sophisticated monitoring equipment, about the only
    way you can tell if there is a nearby draft-N router/access point is to
    go knocking on doors.
    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Oct 26, 2006