help - laptop video weirdness

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Evil Bastard, Sep 20, 2005.

  1. Evil Bastard

    Evil Bastard Guest

    Hi,

    On playing an mpeg2 video on 3 work laptops (via windoze media player on
    winxp), the videos show fine, but the feed coming out the vga connector
    at the back shows a black rectangle where the viewing area of WMP should
    be. I see the desktop, all the other windows, and the widgets on the WMP
    window. But blackness on the WMP window main pane.

    Tried it on the (still-windows-xp) laptop at home - no such problem.

    Pain in the butt, because my presentation has a couple of embedded video
    clips - to deliver the presentation successfully, I'm having to bring
    the laptop from home and hook it up to the lcd projector.

    Anyone know what's happening here? Could it be that WMP on the work
    laptops is writing to the framebuffer, causing the mpg video not to make
    it to the vga socket.

    Laptops are similar spec, all running WinXP.

    Didn't catch the brandnames of the work laptops, but they're running WMP
    version 9.

    The laptop one at home (which does send the video to the vga port) is a
    Toshiba, running WMP version 8.

    Is it a WMP version 9 issue?
    Are there any settings to ensure that video played via WMP 9 actually
    gets sent out the laptop's VGA connector?

    --
    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Sep 20, 2005

  2. "Evil Bastard" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > On playing an mpeg2 video on 3 work laptops (via windoze media player on
    > winxp), the videos show fine, but the feed coming out the vga connector
    > at the back shows a black rectangle where the viewing area of WMP should
    > be. I see the desktop, all the other windows, and the widgets on the WMP
    > window. But blackness on the WMP window main pane.
    >
    > Tried it on the (still-windows-xp) laptop at home - no such problem.
    >
    > Pain in the butt, because my presentation has a couple of embedded video
    > clips - to deliver the presentation successfully, I'm having to bring
    > the laptop from home and hook it up to the lcd projector.
    >
    > Anyone know what's happening here? Could it be that WMP on the work
    > laptops is writing to the framebuffer, causing the mpg video not to make
    > it to the vga socket.
    >
    > Laptops are similar spec, all running WinXP.
    >
    > Didn't catch the brandnames of the work laptops, but they're running WMP
    > version 9.
    >
    > The laptop one at home (which does send the video to the vga port) is a
    > Toshiba, running WMP version 8.
    >
    > Is it a WMP version 9 issue?
    > Are there any settings to ensure that video played via WMP 9 actually
    > gets sent out the laptop's VGA connector?
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > EB
    >
    > --
    >
    > One who is not a conservative by age 20 has no brain.
    > One who is not a liberal by age 40 has no heart.

    I had this exact same prob using my tv-out from my laptop to a tv....prob
    fixed by adjusting the screen resolution and color quality to lower values .

    so much for plug'n play huh!!!

    news.xtra.co.nz, Sep 20, 2005

  3. Evil Bastard wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > On playing an mpeg2 video on 3 work laptops (via windoze media player on
    > winxp), the videos show fine, but the feed coming out the vga connector
    > at the back shows a black rectangle where the viewing area of WMP should
    > be. I see the desktop, all the other windows, and the widgets on the WMP
    > window. But blackness on the WMP window main pane.

    ha ha ha windoze media player, thats a good one, never heard it before

    To fix this problem, load WMP, go to Tools, Options, Advanced, uncheck
    Use overlays

    Nathan Mercer, Sep 20, 2005
  4. Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >>On playing an mpeg2 video on 3 work laptops (via windoze media player on
    >>winxp), the videos show fine, but the feed coming out the vga connector
    >>at the back shows a black rectangle where the viewing area of WMP should
    >>be. I see the desktop, all the other windows, and the widgets on the WMP
    >>window. But blackness on the WMP window main pane.

    > ha ha ha windoze media player, thats a good one, never heard it before

    > To fix this problem, load WMP, go to Tools, Options, Advanced, uncheck
    > Use overlays

    Nathan, you're not replying how you usually do.

    Thus I suspect that it's not actually you.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 21, 2005
  5. Evil Bastard

    Evil Bastard Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > ha ha ha windoze media player, thats a good one, never heard it before
    >
    > To fix this problem, load WMP, go to Tools, Options, Advanced, uncheck
    > Use overlays

    What's the default on this when XP is fresh-installed? Does it vary
    between XP sub-versions or service packs?

    --
    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Sep 21, 2005
  6. Evil Bastard

    Richard Guest

    Evil Bastard wrote:
    > Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >
    >>ha ha ha windoze media player, thats a good one, never heard it before
    >>
    >>To fix this problem, load WMP, go to Tools, Options, Advanced, uncheck
    >>Use overlays

    > What's the default on this when XP is fresh-installed? Does it vary
    > between XP sub-versions or service packs?

    Thats the default.

    The overlay will only be on one screen, its a video chip limitation.

    Turning it off will mean that you dont have the bilinear filtering of the card
    resizing the image so it will be all blocky, and it will still vsync to the LCD
    not the external so there will be tearing of the image.

    Richard, Sep 21, 2005
  7. Evil Bastard

    Evil Bastard Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > To fix this problem, load WMP, go to Tools, Options, Advanced, uncheck
    > Use overlays

    Thanks.

    But IIRC, unchecking that option made no difference.
    Guess I should check again on my own laptop and the others in question.
    The only relevant software difference being WMP8 on my laptop and WMP9
    on the work laptops.

    --
    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Sep 21, 2005
  8. In article <>,
    "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote:

    >Evil Bastard wrote:
    >>
    >> On playing an mpeg2 video on 3 work laptops (via windoze media player on
    >> winxp), the videos show fine, but the feed coming out the vga connector
    >> at the back shows a black rectangle where the viewing area of WMP should
    >> be. I see the desktop, all the other windows, and the widgets on the WMP
    >> window. But blackness on the WMP window main pane.

    >ha ha ha windoze media player, thats a good one, never heard it before

    Is it your turn with the Microsoft corporate sense of humour this week?
    :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 26, 2005