help - laptop not retaining wireless config

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by charles, Oct 2, 2006.

  1. charles

    charles Guest

    (Apologies for multipost - I asked this on win2000.registry before
    finding this group which looks more appropriate for the question.
    Thank you for any replies.)

    I have 2 new laptops from Dell here. They are new and identical
    machines with XP Home installed.

    One of them wirelessly connects with no problems. The other one does
    not connect. On every reboot it will:

    1 - come up with WZCSVC service stopped even though it is set on
    Automatic. If I start it manually it starts OK.

    2 - in the "Wireless Network Connection Properties" tab for Wireless
    Networks, the checkbox to "Use Windows to configure..." is unchecked.
    If I check it then everything is OK and the machine connects to the
    network.

    What can be preventing the service and config options from coming up
    properly? Everything is working fine on the other "identical" machine.
    I've checked every autorun slot I can see (using Sysinternals'
    autoruns program) and find no difference.

    I've got to deliver these machines and this is driving me crazy.
    Thanks for any info.

    charles, Oct 2, 2006