    I purchased a used Canon SX230 and am not happy at all with the blurriness I get when trying to shoot in low-light indoors and out.

    I have shots of my house illuminated by the christmas lights. Blur-city. Shot on a tripod. Shouldn't I be able to shoot fairly short shutter speedsby hand even? I have IS enabled. I've played with shutter speeds to no avail. I've shot with Auto and Shutter-priority. I'm no expert, but I thought this camera was supposed to yield excellent low-light shots. No? What am I doing wrong (or right?)

    Thanks!
    Goldenhound, Dec 11, 2012

  2. Goldenhound

    Goldenhound Guest

    On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 1:59:28 AM UTC-8, bugbear wrote:
    > Goldenhound wrote:
    >
    > > Hoping for advice.

    > > I purchased a used Canon SX230 and am not happy at all with the blurriness I get when trying to shoot in low-light indoors and out.

    > > I have shots of my house illuminated by the christmas lights. Blur-city. Shot on a tripod. Shouldn't I be able to shoot fairly short shutter speeds by hand even? I have IS enabled. I've played with shutter speeds to no avail. I've shot with Auto and Shutter-priority. I'm no expert, but I thought this camera was supposed to yield excellent low-light shots. No? What am I doing wrong (or right?)

    > Does the sx230 have tripod detect on IS? You don't want IS enabled on a tripod, since it can ONLY
    >
    > make matters worse (in that it clearly can't make an improvement).
    >

    > BugBear

    I don't believe the sx230 has tripod detect. I used the camera without a tripod indoors on many shots of the same subject w/o a tripod. The best of them was blurry to the point of being unusable. There was no visible shakeof my hand either. In a daylight situation shots are very clear.

    I'm at a loss as to where to demonstrate these shots. Suggestions? Someplace easy and free, preferably without having to wade through a registration..
    Goldenhound, Dec 11, 2012

  3. Goldenhound

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:09:11 AM UTC, Goldenhound wrote:
    > On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 1:59:28 AM UTC-8, bugbear wrote:
    >
    > > Goldenhound wrote:

    > > > Hoping for advice.

    > > > I purchased a used Canon SX230 and am not happy at all with the blurriness I get when trying to shoot in low-light indoors and out.

    > > > I have shots of my house illuminated by the christmas lights. Blur-city. Shot on a tripod. Shouldn't I be able to shoot fairly short shutter speeds by hand even? I have IS enabled. I've played with shutter speeds to no avail. I've shot with Auto and Shutter-priority. I'm no expert, but Ithought this camera was supposed to yield excellent low-light shots. No? What am I doing wrong (or right?)

    > > Does the sx230 have tripod detect on IS? You don't want IS enabled on atripod, since it can ONLY

    > > make matters worse (in that it clearly can't make an improvement).

    > > BugBear

    > I don't believe the sx230 has tripod detect. I used the camera without atripod indoors on many shots of the same subject w/o a tripod. The best of them was blurry to the point of being unusable. There was no visible shake of my hand either. In a daylight situation shots are very clear.
    >

    > I'm at a loss as to where to demonstrate these shots. Suggestions? Someplace easy and free, preferably without having to wade through a registration.

    Any chance of uploading a shot or two, or even a section if you don;t want you house ID'd

    Could it be that the focusing wass off due to low light, we coudl sus that from the exif data. Another posibility is that there's mosture on the lens maybe condensation from going in/out doors.
    Whisky-dave, Dec 11, 2012
  4. Goldenhound

    DanP Guest

    On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:13:32 AM UTC, Goldenhound wrote:
    > Hoping for advice.
    >

    > I purchased a used Canon SX230 and am not happy at all with the blurriness I get when trying to shoot in low-light indoors and out.
    >

    > I have shots of my house illuminated by the christmas lights. Blur-city.Shot on a tripod. Shouldn't I be able to shoot fairly short shutter speeds by hand even? I have IS enabled. I've played with shutter speeds to noavail. I've shot with Auto and Shutter-priority. I'm no expert, but I thought this camera was supposed to yield excellent low-light shots. No? What am I doing wrong (or right?)
    >

    > Thanks!

    Some numbers would help get you an informed answer. Exposure time, ISO, Aperture, camera mode used to take the pictures. Even better the end result asit came out of the camera.

    DanP
    DanP, Dec 11, 2012
  5. Goldenhound

    Ron Guest

    Goldenhound <> wrote:

    > Hoping for advice.
    >
    > I purchased a used Canon SX230 and am not happy at all with the blurriness
    > I get when trying to shoot in low-light indoors and out.
    >
    > I have shots of my house illuminated by the christmas lights. Blur-city.
    > Shot on a tripod. Shouldn't I be able to shoot fairly short shutter
    > speeds by hand even? I have IS enabled. I've played with shutter speeds
    > to no avail. I've shot with Auto and Shutter-priority. I'm no expert, but
    > I thought this camera was supposed to yield excellent low-light shots.
    > No? What am I doing wrong (or right?)
    >
    > Thanks!

    Perhaps it's not focusing. Have you tried manual focus?
    Ron, Dec 12, 2012
  6. Goldenhound

    otter Guest

    Re: Help - Is my SX230 broken? Blurry night scenes

    On Dec 11, 3:13 am, Goldenhound <> wrote:
    > Hoping for advice.
    >
    > I purchased a used Canon SX230 and am not happy at all with the blurriness I get when trying to shoot in low-light indoors and out.
    >
    > I have shots of my house illuminated by the christmas lights.  Blur-city.  Shot on a tripod.  Shouldn't I be able to shoot fairly short shutter speeds by hand even?  I have IS enabled.  I've played with shutter speeds to no avail. I've shot with Auto and Shutter-priority.  I'm no expert, but I thought this camera was supposed to yield excellent low-light shots.  No?  What am I doing wrong (or right?)
    >
    > Thanks!

    Taking pictures in low light is something cameras with small sensors
    struggle with.
    otter, Dec 12, 2012
  7. Goldenhound <> wrote:
    > Hoping for advice.

    > I purchased a used Canon SX230 and am not happy at all with the

    blurriness I get when trying to shoot in low-light indoors and out.

    > I have shots of my house illuminated by the christmas lights.

    Blur-city. Shot on a tripod. Shouldn't I be able to shoot fairly
    short shutter speeds by hand even? I have IS enabled. I've played
    with shutter speeds to no avail. I've shot with Auto and
    Shutter-priority. I'm no expert, but I thought this camera was
    supposed to yield excellent low-light shots. No? What am I doing
    wrong (or right?)

    There's lots of things you could be doing wrong. But since you haven't
    told us exactly what you did or shown us a result we can't tell. Are
    you following the advice given in your camera's manual about how to
    take that kind of shot?

    --
    Chris Malcolm
    Chris Malcolm, Dec 13, 2012
  8. Goldenhound

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, Chris Malcolm <> wrote:
    >Goldenhound <> wrote:
    >> Hoping for advice.

    >> I purchased a used Canon SX230 and am not happy at all with the

    >blurriness I get when trying to shoot in low-light indoors and out.
    >
    >> I have shots of my house illuminated by the christmas lights.

    >Blur-city. Shot on a tripod. Shouldn't I be able to shoot fairly
    >short shutter speeds by hand even? I have IS enabled. I've played
    >with shutter speeds to no avail. I've shot with Auto and
    >Shutter-priority. I'm no expert, but I thought this camera was
    >supposed to yield excellent low-light shots. No? What am I doing
    >wrong (or right?)
    >
    >There's lots of things you could be doing wrong. But since you haven't
    >told us exactly what you did or shown us a result we can't tell. Are
    >you following the advice given in your camera's manual about how to
    >take that kind of shot?

    I have had good success manually setting my SX260 camera to firework mode.
    GMAN, Dec 13, 2012