    compared to B&H and others and I just wanted to get some feedback
    before I did anything.

    Thanks.
    BubsterB, Mar 23, 2005

  2. "BubsterB" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Guys,
    > I want to get a Nikon D70 kit and saw that
    > www.amphotoworld.com has the kit for $654.00. This seemed really low
    > compared to B&H and others and I just wanted to get some feedback
    > before I did anything.

    They are not a trusted place.

    http://resellerratings.com/seller1988.html
    Steven M. Scharf, Mar 23, 2005

  3. BubsterB

    Jim Guest

    "BubsterB" <> wrote in message
    > Guys,
    > I want to get a Nikon D70 kit and saw that
    > www.amphotoworld.com has the kit for $654.00. This seemed really low
    > compared to B&H and others and I just wanted to get some feedback
    > before I did anything.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Only B&H and Adorama get good reviews for honesty. I only buy from B&H (or
    locally) whether they are the cheapest or not.
    Jim
    Jim, Mar 23, 2005
  4. BubsterB

    cluedweasel Guest

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 16:19:30 GMT, BubsterB <>
    wrote:

    >Guys,
    > I want to get a Nikon D70 kit and saw that
    >www.amphotoworld.com has the kit for $654.00. This seemed really low
    >compared to B&H and others and I just wanted to get some feedback
    >before I did anything.

    I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.
    cluedweasel, Mar 23, 2005
  5. BubsterB

    Eric Babula Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in

    > "BubsterB" <> wrote in message
    >> Guys,
    >> I want to get a Nikon D70 kit and saw that
    >> www.amphotoworld.com has the kit for $654.00. This seemed really
    >> low compared to B&H and others and I just wanted to get some
    >> feedback before I did anything.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Only B&H and Adorama get good reviews for honesty. I only buy from
    > B&H (or locally) whether they are the cheapest or not.
    > Jim

    There are others out there that get decent ratings, too:

    butterflyphoto.com
    buydig.com
    newegg.com
    (three that come to mind - don't know their exact ratings tho)

    Check out the Store's ratings on www.resellerratings.com before you buy.
    Good luck shopping!

    --
    Eric Babula
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Eric Babula, Mar 23, 2005
  6. BubsterB

    Guest

    BubsterB <> wrote:

    >Guys,
    > I want to get a Nikon D70 kit and saw that
    >www.amphotoworld.com has the kit for $654.00. This seemed really low
    >compared to B&H and others and I just wanted to get some feedback
    >before I did anything.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Having had been burned once at a similar lowballer, I just go to BH
    now and be happy.

    One bad deal and the hassle of trying to resolve it, if you can, will
    be a learning experience you will wish you only read about.

    Wes
    --
    Reply to:
    Lycos address is a spam trap.
  7. BubsterB

    Yip Yap Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message

    > "BubsterB" <> wrote in message
    >> Guys,
    >> I want to get a Nikon D70 kit and saw that
    >> www.amphotoworld.com has the kit for $654.00. This seemed really low
    >> compared to B&H and others and I just wanted to get some feedback
    >> before I did anything.
    >>

    > Only B&H and Adorama get good reviews for honesty. I only buy from B&H
    > (or
    > locally) whether they are the cheapest or not.

    I'll add J&R to that list. They are excellent and they
    have low shipping costs:

    www.jandr.com

    -- Yip
    Yip Yap, Mar 23, 2005
  8. On 23 Mar 2005 18:58:50 GMT, in rec.photo.digital , Eric Babula
    <> in
    <Xns96228423B6CB2ebabulacare2com@66.192.254.230> wrote:

    >"Jim" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "BubsterB" <> wrote in message
    >>> Guys,
    >>> I want to get a Nikon D70 kit and saw that
    >>> www.amphotoworld.com has the kit for $654.00. This seemed really
    >>> low compared to B&H and others and I just wanted to get some
    >>> feedback before I did anything.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> Only B&H and Adorama get good reviews for honesty. I only buy from
    >> B&H (or locally) whether they are the cheapest or not.
    >> Jim
    >>

    >There are others out there that get decent ratings, too:
    >
    >butterflyphoto.com
    >buydig.com
    >newegg.com
    >(three that come to mind - don't know their exact ratings tho)
    >
    >Check out the Store's ratings on www.resellerratings.com before you buy.
    >Good luck shopping!

    I have had good experiences with newegg.com and with both Adorama and
    J&R in the store. J&R is on the other end of the island from me. It
    can be easier and cheaper and faster to get something off the web
    rather than wait until I am headed way downtown.

    BTW, it is snowing right now. Probably the last of the season. Big
    fluffy beautiful flakes. And my @*#%(&* camera is broken. At least I
    got some beautiful shots of the Gates.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Matt Silberstein, Mar 23, 2005
  9. BubsterB

    Guest

    Matt Silberstein <> wrote:
    : >butterflyphoto.com
    : >buydig.com
    Just bought $800 from buydig... everything went as expected. They seem to be
    somewhere between the AMPhoto scum and the B&H expensive ones for reputability.

    : >newegg.com
    Had lots of friends buy computer stuff from them with no issues.

    -Cory

    * Cory Papenfuss *
    , Mar 23, 2005
  10. "Yip Yap" <> wrote in message

    > "Jim" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "BubsterB" <> wrote in message
    >>> Guys,
    >>> I want to get a Nikon D70 kit and saw that
    >>> www.amphotoworld.com has the kit for $654.00. This seemed really low
    >>> compared to B&H and others and I just wanted to get some feedback
    >>> before I did anything.
    >>>

    >> Only B&H and Adorama get good reviews for honesty. I only buy from B&H
    >> (or
    >> locally) whether they are the cheapest or not.

    > I'll add J&R to that list. They are excellent and they
    > have low shipping costs:

    Add Cameta Camera to the list also, great service.
    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Mar 23, 2005
  11. On 23 Mar 2005 18:58:50 GMT, Eric Babula <> wrote:

    >"Jim" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "BubsterB" <> wrote in message
    >>> Guys,
    >>> I want to get a Nikon D70 kit and saw that
    >>> www.amphotoworld.com has the kit for $654.00. This seemed really
    >>> low compared to B&H and others and I just wanted to get some
    >>> feedback before I did anything.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> Only B&H and Adorama get good reviews for honesty. I only buy from
    >> B&H (or locally) whether they are the cheapest or not.
    >> Jim
    >>

    >There are others out there that get decent ratings, too:
    >
    >butterflyphoto.com
    >buydig.com
    >newegg.com
    >(three that come to mind - don't know their exact ratings tho)

    Add onecall.com. They've been around as Huppins since the 1920s. Also
    zipzoomfly.com.

    Oliver Costich, Mar 23, 2005
  12. In article <>, BubsterB
    <> wrote:

    > This seemed really low
    > compared to B&H and others and I just wanted to get some feedback
    > before I did anything.

    About the worst possible place to try and buy a camera. I say "try"
    advisedly, because the chance you'll actually receive what you want at
    the advertised price is zero.

    For a more satisfying purchasing experience, take a hit of your
    favorite hallucinogen. At least you'll THINK you got a camera that
    way...
    Scott Schuckert, Mar 23, 2005
  13. BubsterB

    Confused Guest

    In message <>
    BubsterB <> wrote:

    > Guys,
    > I want to get a Nikon D70 kit and saw that
    > www.amphotoworld.com has the kit for $654.00. This seemed really low
    > compared to B&H and others and I just wanted to get some feedback
    > before I did anything.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I stick with B&H (or local stores when appropriate). Their closest
    competitor does not have "in stock" tracking. B&H has a spot on
    inventory control system...you know if a product is actually in stock
    and allocated to you. This is critical when you need something in 1
    or two days.

    Jeff
    Confused, Mar 23, 2005
  14. BubsterB

    MarkH Guest

    BubsterB <> wrote in

    > Guys,
    > I want to get a Nikon D70 kit and saw that
    > www.amphotoworld.com has the kit for $654.00. This seemed really low
    > compared to B&H and others and I just wanted to get some feedback
    > before I did anything.

    Yes that price is really low, too low! ANY company selling cameras that
    much below the price offered by the reputable dealers is going to be
    someone to avoid.

    If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is, etc.

    Trying to chase an unrealistically cheap deal could cost you a lot more
    than just placing an order with B&H and paying what the camera is worth.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 20-Jan-05)
    MarkH, Mar 23, 2005
  15. BubsterB

    mike regish Guest

    I ended up getting my camera at ibuydigital.com. I got a little worried when
    they called me to confirm the order, but it was a simple confirmation and
    they asked politely if I needed anything else. No hard sell and very polite.
    I got a pretty good price and a $200 rebate. Haven't got the camera yet but
    tracking says it should be here Friday.

    mike

    mike regish, Mar 24, 2005
  16. BubsterB

    Frank ess Guest

    Confused wrote:
    > In message <>
    > BubsterB <> wrote:
    >
    >> Guys,
    >> I want to get a Nikon D70 kit and saw that
    >> www.amphotoworld.com has the kit for $654.00. This seemed really low
    >> compared to B&H and others and I just wanted to get some feedback
    >> before I did anything.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > I stick with B&H (or local stores when appropriate). Their closest
    > competitor does not have "in stock" tracking. B&H has a spot on
    > inventory control system...you know if a product is actually in stock
    > and allocated to you. This is critical when you need something in 1
    > or two days.

    "Spot on" may apply to their new merchandise inventory, but the last two
    used items I ordered were not delivered.

    In the first instance they called to tell me they "didn't have" the 9+
    item for me, due to a "clerical error". It may have been an error in
    pricing: if they'd made the sale it would have been at about a third the
    value of a new, similar item.

    In the second, no call, no note, no mention on the shipping notice,
    other than "refund" for the amount of the discrepancy. Other than that,
    the item just disappeared between order acknowledgement and shipping
    document.

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Mar 24, 2005