help,internet explorer freezes my computer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by abber, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. abber

    abber Guest

    hi,can anyone help.im using ie6 with sp1 installed on windows98se,im
    on a cable modem that runs threw a hub,i dont have a firewall
    setup,all my windows updates are installed,i have directx 8.1,and a
    gforce4 mx video card with the latest drivers 56.64.

    thats all the relevant info i can think of,if i missed anything ill be
    happy to post it.

    when ie loads a webpage the cpu go's to 100% and freezes the computer
    for about 3seconds,all apps become frozen,some times it freezes multi
    times on bigger pages.it does the same thing in outlook when there is
    html in the email.

    if i start ie6 with the homepage set to blank it loads fine,its only
    when it needs to read html or other web stuff.

    i have firebird installed also and it loads pages with no probs,so its
    a ie thing.

    ive tryed reinstalling ie,ive tryed uninstalling fully then
    reinstalling,ive tryed downgrading to ie4,but each time the same prob
    happend.

    ive ran multi virus checks using mcafee,spybot,and ad-aware,it was
    nothing detected in there.

    it worked fine one night,then the next day it started doing this.i
    didnt install anything that night,the only thing i could think of was
    i ran a old version of getright on this pc that was on another threw
    the lan.

    my only guess is that the browser api ie uses is somehow messed up
    since firebird/mirc/agent/ftp/online games all work fine.

    its been like this for a few weeks,ive tryed to fix it and been
    looking on google groups for answers but ive found nothing so far,all
    i can think of is to reformat and id really like to avoid that.

    any help is greatly appreciated :)
    abber, Apr 1, 2004

  2. On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 01:40:02 -0800, abber <>,wrote:

    >hi,can anyone help.im using ie6 with sp1 installed on windows98se,im
    >on a cable modem that runs threw a hub,i dont have a firewall
    >setup,all my windows updates are installed,i have directx 8.1,and a
    >gforce4 mx video card with the latest drivers 56.64.

    f u can use the ie6 4 the inernt an then dx8.1 will werk 4 u ok an sp1 in 98se.i
    use all the time 4 u ok?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=B0Mike=B0=22?=, Apr 1, 2004

  3. abber

    °Mike° Guest

    http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/capitals.htm
    http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/marks/marks.htm
    http://www.davidappleyard.com/punctuation.htm
    http://www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/local/doc/punctuation/node02.html

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 01:40:02 -0800, in
    <>
    abber scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Apr 1, 2004
  4. abber

    abber Guest

    im sorry if i offended you,all i wanted was help to this prob,i
    thought this was the right place to ask.
    abber, Apr 1, 2004
  5. abber

    trout Guest

    abber wrote:

    > hi,can anyone help.im using ie6 with sp1 installed on windows98se,im
    > on a cable modem that runs threw a hub,i dont have a firewall
    > setup,all my windows updates are installed,i have directx 8.1,and a
    > gforce4 mx video card with the latest drivers 56.64.
    >
    > thats all the relevant info i can think of,if i missed anything ill be
    > happy to post it.
    >
    > when ie loads a webpage the cpu go's to 100% and freezes the computer
    > for about 3seconds,all apps become frozen,some times it freezes multi
    > times on bigger pages.it does the same thing in outlook when there is
    > html in the email.
    >
    > if i start ie6 with the homepage set to blank it loads fine,its only
    > when it needs to read html or other web stuff.
    >
    > i have firebird installed also and it loads pages with no probs,so its
    > a ie thing.
    >
    > ive tryed reinstalling ie,ive tryed uninstalling fully then
    > reinstalling,ive tryed downgrading to ie4,but each time the same prob
    > happend.
    >
    > ive ran multi virus checks using mcafee,spybot,and ad-aware,it was
    > nothing detected in there.
    >
    > it worked fine one night,then the next day it started doing this.i
    > didnt install anything that night,the only thing i could think of was
    > i ran a old version of getright on this pc that was on another threw
    > the lan.
    >
    > my only guess is that the browser api ie uses is somehow messed up
    > since firebird/mirc/agent/ftp/online games all work fine.
    >
    > its been like this for a few weeks,ive tryed to fix it and been
    > looking on google groups for answers but ive found nothing so far,all
    > i can think of is to reformat and id really like to avoid that.
    >
    > any help is greatly appreciated :)

    Have you tried a 'Repair"? Control Panel; Add/Remove Programs. You
    could also look into Internet Options; Security tab; select a "custom"
    level and see what activeX controls and plug-ins you may wish to
    disallow, or be prompted to allow.
    --
    "And yes; better punctuation would make your post easier to read."
    trout, Apr 2, 2004
  6. abber

    °Mike° Guest

    You didn't offend me, but you are making yourself
    look illiterate. You are welcome to ask any question
    you like in this group, but badly written questions
    very often go unanswered, and rightly so, IMO.

    On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 13:57:10 -0800, in
    <>
    abber scrawled:

    °Mike°, Apr 2, 2004
  7. abber

    abber Guest

    if it did not offend you then what reason was there to post 2
    messages,both with the intent to make fun of me.no one else posted
    anything about the format of my question.i can only think of one
    reason why you did,but ill leave it unsaid cuz im not one.

    if i look illiterate maybe its because thats as far as my writing can
    go,im a highschool drop out,and even when i was in school i wasnt
    really paying much mind.some people just arent smart,being a newsgroup
    person you of all people should know that by now.

    the question i wrote out seemed ok to me,i included the prob and lots
    of info.yes i wish i could have been more elagent but thats just the
    way i talk,what would you have me do.

    ill be the first to admit im not that smart but whats that make the
    person who picks on the dumb kid.

    if your intent was really good then i ask that you help me to make a
    better worded question that you find unbad.other wise ill just assume
    you never had any intent of helping and just wanted to attack me
    becuase you felt you are smart and i am dumb.
    abber, Apr 3, 2004
  8. abber

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 15:01:15 -0800, in
    <>
    abber scrawled:

    >if it did not offend you

    It did not.

    >then what reason was there to post 2 messages,

    I didn't post 2 messages. The first post was from an
    idiot who is impersonating me -- check the email addresses.

    >both with the intent to make fun of me.

    Not at all. I posted links to good grammar, and good
    newsgroup questions, in good faith, in the hope that
    you would get the message and post in a way that
    is not difficult to read and understand.

    >no one else posted anything about the format of my
    >question.

    I beg to differ.

    >i can only think of one reason why you did,but ill leave it
    >unsaid cuz im not one.

    Not one what?

    >if i look illiterate maybe its because thats as far as my
    >writing can go,

    Excuse #1. No, that's as far as you WANT it to go. Your writing style
    smacks *wholly* of laziness, not of illiteracy.

    >im a highschool drop out,

    Excuse #2. So what?

    >and even when i was in school i wasnt really paying much mind.

    Excuse #3. So what?

    >some people just arent smart,being a newsgroup person

    What's a "newsgroup person"? And what does it/they have
    to do with being smart, or not?

    >you of all people should know that by now.
    >
    >the question i wrote out seemed ok to me,

    Excuse #4. It doesn't to the majority of people reading it.

    >i included the prob and lots of info.

    I'm not even going to go into your (mis)use of abbreviations,
    but do you realise that you have a SHIFT key on your
    keyboard?

    >yes i wish i could have been more elagent but thats just the
    >way i talk,what would you have me do.

    How about attempting to improve the way you portray yourself,
    without all the excuses?

    >ill be the first to admit im not that smart but whats that make the
    >person who picks on the dumb kid.

    As far as I can see, nobody is picking on you. I have tried
    to point out to you that you should endeavour to improve
    your writing skills, You want help? People have to be able
    to, and want to, read your message and understand it.

    >if your intent was really good then i ask that you help me to
    >make a better worded question

    Study them, and above all, USE YOUR SHIFT KEY!

    >that you find unbad.other wise ill just assume you never had
    >any intent of helping and just wanted to attack me
    >becuase you felt you are smart and i am dumb.

    You assume whatever you want to, poor-little-picked-on-person.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Apr 3, 2004
  9. abber

    abber Guest

    heh,that was kind of fun.i dont troll newsgroups much anymore but this
    brightened up my day.if you cant get your prob fixed you might as well
    have a laugh right.

    ill make ya a deal,i will work on my punctuation if you stop being so
    anal about grammar.i think we would both gain alot :)
    abber, Apr 3, 2004
  10. abber

    Vicroz Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message news:<c4j277$2k65e3$-berlin.de>...
    > abber wrote:
    >
    > > hi,can anyone help.im using ie6 with sp1 installed on windows98se,im
    > > on a cable modem that runs threw a hub,i dont have a firewall
    > > setup,all my windows updates are installed,i have directx 8.1,and a
    > > gforce4 mx video card with the latest drivers 56.64.
    > >
    > > thats all the relevant info i can think of,if i missed anything ill be
    > > happy to post it.
    > >
    > > when ie loads a webpage the cpu go's to 100% and freezes the computer
    > > for about 3seconds,all apps become frozen,some times it freezes multi
    > > times on bigger pages.it does the same thing in outlook when there is
    > > html in the email.
    > >
    > > if i start ie6 with the homepage set to blank it loads fine,its only
    > > when it needs to read html or other web stuff.
    > >
    > > i have firebird installed also and it loads pages with no probs,so its
    > > a ie thing.
    > >
    > > ive tryed reinstalling ie,ive tryed uninstalling fully then
    > > reinstalling,ive tryed downgrading to ie4,but each time the same prob
    > > happend.
    > >
    > > ive ran multi virus checks using mcafee,spybot,and ad-aware,it was
    > > nothing detected in there.
    > >
    > > it worked fine one night,then the next day it started doing this.i
    > > didnt install anything that night,the only thing i could think of was
    > > i ran a old version of getright on this pc that was on another threw
    > > the lan.
    > >
    > > my only guess is that the browser api ie uses is somehow messed up
    > > since firebird/mirc/agent/ftp/online games all work fine.
    > >
    > > its been like this for a few weeks,ive tryed to fix it and been
    > > looking on google groups for answers but ive found nothing so far,all
    > > i can think of is to reformat and id really like to avoid that.
    > >
    > > any help is greatly appreciated :)

    > Have you tried a 'Repair"? Control Panel; Add/Remove Programs. You
    > could also look into Internet Options; Security tab; select a "custom"
    > level and see what activeX controls and plug-ins you may wish to
    > disallow, or be prompted to allow.

    Hi-

    Windows is a pre-emptive operating system. This means that the OS
    tells the processer to stop whatever it is doing when you tell it to
    do something new (i.e. launch an application). A processor spike is to
    be expected when you launch an app. The length of the spike is
    dependant on the "cost" of the app. I wouldn't expect a spike
    launching Notepad, but I would expect one opening any Office app or
    IE. Of course this will vary with the speed of your processor.

    In your case I would guess that you have some 3rd party browser
    extensions that are loading along with IE. A good example would be
    something like a Yahoo toolbar. Anything that does not come with IE
    has to be plugged into IE when it initializes. If the code is well
    written, then any delay will probably be so miniscule as to not even
    be noticed. The problem children are the poorly written extensions and
    especially the freeware plug-ins.

    From IE go to the Tools>Internet Options>Settings>View Objects. This
    is a listing of all MS and 3rd party ActiveX plug-ins. Remove anything
    that you don't need or that you haven't explicitly installed.

    If this makes no difference then run a repair of IE from Control
    Panel>Add/Remove Programs>Internet Explorer.

    If the repair doesn't help then you may be looking at an Anti-Virus
    issue. AV that is configured for Real TIme scanning can cause delays.
    Disable your AV Service and bounce the box. Then launch IE and see if
    it makes any difference. This can be done easily by using the MSConfig
    utility that ships with XP.

    hth.

    Vic
    Vicroz, Apr 3, 2004