    Any ideas?
    TIA
    Graham
    Experienced but Undocumented, Jan 12, 2004

  2. Experienced but Undocumented

    dg Guest

    1. Run the install software first, don't plug the printer in
    2. Make sure u finish the installation even the printer is not plugin
    3. Shutdown, Plug printer and restart.

    that should solve your problem

    "Experienced but Undocumented" <> wrote in message
    > Trying to install a Lexmark Z42 on USB. The computer is running Windows

    98,

    dg, Jan 12, 2004

  3. Experienced but Undocumented

    SLP Guest

    "Experienced but Undocumented" <> wrote in message
    > Trying to install a Lexmark Z42 on USB. The computer is running Windows

    98,
    > and other USB devices work on this computer.
    >
    > When I run the printer's setup program, I have two port options: LPT1 and
    > File.
    >
    > When the printer is plugged into the computer, Windows detects the USB
    > device, but installs it as "%USB\UKNOWN.DeviceDesc%" (And btw...it is
    > UKNOWN...not UNKNOWN)
    >
    > When I use Device Manager to reinstall the drivers, I select the folder
    > where the drivers are stored and Windows says "The specified location does
    > not contain information about your hardware."
    >
    > Any ideas?
    > TIA
    > Graham

    I've seen this happen several times with Lexmark's.

    Unplug the Printer cable from the PC and uninstall the Lexmark printer
    driver and software - either from Start / Programs / Lexmark or from the
    Control Panel.

    Reboot and place the Printer driver CD in the drive, but *do not* run it.

    Connect the USB cable and the PC should find and load the drivers
    automatically.

    If it still doesn't work, remove the cable again, uninstall the drivers and
    reboot. Run the Printer Driver CD and connect the cable when prompted on
    screen. Sometimes on the second go, it just works.

    SLP
    SLP, Jan 12, 2004
  4. "dg" <> wrote in message
    > 1. Run the install software first, don't plug the printer in
    > 2. Make sure u finish the installation even the printer is not plugin
    > 3. Shutdown, Plug printer and restart.

    I tried, but it only lets me select LPT1 and File. :(

    Graham
    Experienced but Undocumented, Jan 13, 2004