    nonsense. They tell me that this particular software is extremely difficult to
    get working but that it's a wonderful program once it works. Can anyone give me
    some clues?

    Gigi, May 17, 2004

  2. Gigi

    mark mandel Guest

    "Gigi" <itchyfeet(no spam)@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    news:pw3qc.4416$...
    > I purchased an Iomega external hard drive and it came with "Ghost" and I'd

    like
    > to use this software to make a mirror image of my C drive. Every time I

    install
    > it and try to use it, I get error messages. Symantec Techs tell me I have

    > buy a ps2 mouse and keyboard but other techs at the computer stores say

    that's
    > nonsense. They tell me that this particular software is extremely

    difficult to
    > get working but that it's a wonderful program once it works. Can anyone

    give me
    > some clues?

    What are the error messages? Maybe one of us here can help with that.

    I myself have found the Ghost utility to be pretty useful but on a number of
    occasions encountered error messages as well(one being that the available
    hard drive space that it would have been restored to was too much given the
    cluster sizes).

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandel, May 17, 2004

  3. Gigi

    Guest

    On Mon, 17 May 2004 13:57:03 GMT, "Gigi" <itchyfeet(no
    spam)@earthlink.net> spewed forth:

    >I purchased an Iomega external hard drive and it came with "Ghost" and I'd like
    >to use this software to make a mirror image of my C drive. Every time I install
    >it and try to use it, I get error messages. Symantec Techs tell me I have to
    >buy a ps2 mouse and keyboard but other techs at the computer stores say that's
    >nonsense. They tell me that this particular software is extremely difficult to
    >get working but that it's a wonderful program once it works. Can anyone give me
    >some clues?

    Ignore the message that states you may have difficulties with your USB
    mouse or keyboard, but keep in mind you may need a PS/2 adapter in
    some certain instances. I would suggest cloning your drive with an
    "automatic login" just in case you have problems
    I use the cloning feature and clone my C: drive to a backup.
    Simply name the file and it saves it with a *.GHO file extension to
    your backup media and then spans the image across several files with
    the *.GHS file extension (in my case several 2 GB files).
    I use Ghost for backup and it has proven very reliable for me, plus
    saves several hours of loading software, D/L'ing updates,etc, etc.
    --
    Mark

    Otherwise known as
    ------------
    Cablenetguy

    , May 17, 2004
  4. Gigi

    Thor Guest

    make sure you have legacy USB support enabled in the BIOS.

    Thor, May 17, 2004
  5. Gigi

    Plato Guest

    Gigi wrote:

    > buy a ps2 mouse and keyboard but other techs at the computer stores say that's

    Techs dont work at computer stores. Salesmen do. A "tech" can make at
    least $30/hour doing tech work. Computer stores pay like $8/hour plus
    commission.

    Plato, May 18, 2004
  6. Gigi

    Robert Baer Guest

    Plato wrote:

    > Gigi wrote:
    > >
    > > buy a ps2 mouse and keyboard but other techs at the computer stores say that's

    > Techs dont work at computer stores. Salesmen do. A "tech" can make at
    > least $30/hour doing tech work. Computer stores pay like $8/hour plus
    > commission.

    ....and most sales people know diddly squat..

    Robert Baer, May 18, 2004
  7. Gigi

    heavenbound Guest

    ghost is crap for hardware support. it sucks. it does not work with usb when
    you reboot into ghost mode at all.

    heavenbound, May 18, 2004
  8. Gigi

    Gigi Guest

    "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > Plato wrote:
    > >
    > > Gigi wrote:
    > > >
    > > > buy a ps2 mouse and keyboard but other techs at the computer stores say

    that's

    > > Techs dont work at computer stores. Salesmen do. A "tech" can make at
    > > least $30/hour doing tech work. Computer stores pay like $8/hour plus
    > > commission.

    > ...and most sales people know diddly squat..

    I agree however, the guys (3) at CompUSA had all worked with Ghost; 1 had
    successfully installed the software but it took him several days, 1 had given up
    and returned the software to the store, and 1 was still trying to get it to
    work. Does anyone know of some other software that would transfer a mirror
    image of my C drive to the new external Iomega D drive? That's what I want to
    do but I sure don't want to go out and buy a new keyboard and a new mouse
    especially 'cause I have no guarantee that the effort would provide a solution.
    I did try and hook up an old ps2 mouse to this computer but WinXP didn't
    recognize it.

    Gigi, May 18, 2004
  9. Gigi

    bearman Guest

    > "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > > Plato wrote:

    say
    > that's
    > > >
    > > > Techs dont work at computer stores. Salesmen do. A "tech" can make at
    > > > least $30/hour doing tech work. Computer stores pay like $8/hour plus
    > > > commission.

    > > ...and most sales people know diddly squat..

    > I agree however, the guys (3) at CompUSA had all worked with Ghost; 1 had
    > successfully installed the software but it took him several days, 1 had

    given up
    > and returned the software to the store, and 1 was still trying to get it

    > work. Does anyone know of some other software that would transfer a

    mirror
    > image of my C drive to the new external Iomega D drive? That's what I

    want to
    > do but I sure don't want to go out and buy a new keyboard and a new mouse
    > especially 'cause I have no guarantee that the effort would provide a

    solution.
    > I did try and hook up an old ps2 mouse to this computer but WinXP didn't
    > recognize it.

    I've been using Acronis True Image to make a clone of my main drive. Works
    really well so far with no problems. It also does images and other things
    such as allowing for incremental backups. Check it out.

    Bearman

    bearman, May 18, 2004
  10. Gigi

    Plato Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:

    > > > buy a ps2 mouse and keyboard but other techs at the computer stores say that's

    > > Techs dont work at computer stores. Salesmen do. A "tech" can make at
    > > least $30/hour doing tech work. Computer stores pay like $8/hour plus
    > > commission.

    > ...and most sales people know diddly squat..

    Of course, one could get lucky and get a real tech that has a job at a
    PC store just to get leads. Cheaper than the yellow pages and you get
    paid in the process as well :)

    Plato, May 18, 2004
  11. Gigi

    Robert Baer Guest

    Gigi wrote:

    > "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > > Plato wrote:

    > that's
    > > >
    > > > Techs dont work at computer stores. Salesmen do. A "tech" can make at
    > > > least $30/hour doing tech work. Computer stores pay like $8/hour plus
    > > > commission.

    > > ...and most sales people know diddly squat..

    > I agree however, the guys (3) at CompUSA had all worked with Ghost; 1 had
    > successfully installed the software but it took him several days, 1 had given up
    > and returned the software to the store, and 1 was still trying to get it to
    > work. Does anyone know of some other software that would transfer a mirror
    > image of my C drive to the new external Iomega D drive? That's what I want to
    > do but I sure don't want to go out and buy a new keyboard and a new mouse
    > especially 'cause I have no guarantee that the effort would provide a solution.
    > I did try and hook up an old ps2 mouse to this computer but WinXP didn't
    > recognize it.

    It is total BS; you do not need, nor will it make *ANY* difference to
    change the keyboard and/or mouse.
    From what i have seen, the "help' from Symantec is 80 percent "hell"
    with 10 percent "pee", which spells "hell pee" or their brand of
    "hellP".

    Robert Baer, May 19, 2004
  12. Gigi

    heavenbound Guest

    using a ps2 keyboard and ps2 mouse probably will work, but usb does not work
    with ghost for the mouse, keyboard i don't know.

    heavenbound, May 19, 2004
  13. Gigi

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "heavenbound" <> wrote in

    > using a ps2 keyboard and ps2 mouse probably will work, but usb does
    > not work with ghost for the mouse, keyboard i don't know.

    It will if your BIOS is set to enable legacy support for keyboard and
    mouse.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk