HELP: Installing Jimmie Neutron game crashes PC - Why?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Kevin Sutton, Jan 31, 2004.

  1. Kevin Sutton

    Kevin Sutton Guest

    I have just installed a new graphics card in a friends PC to allow it
    to run 3D games, mainly games for her 8 year old. The PC is a PC
    Company Duron 800 based on a Chaintech CT-7AIV motherboard with 256Mb
    SD-RAM, on-board S3-Savage graphics and Windows ME. I have added an
    Albatron GeForce4 MX440 (64Mb) AGP card as an upgrade to the on-board
    graphics. There was no jumper on the m/b to disable the on-board
    graphics so I am assuming that putting the new card in the AGP slot
    has deactivated the on-board chip.

    Anyway, once the card was installed, I have installed several 3D games
    and most of them run fine (e.g. LucasArts Star Wars Racer, Bionicles
    game etc). A big problem has arisen when I install either Croc 2 or
    Jimmie Neutron : Boy Genius. The installations seem to go fine but
    when I try to run the games the whole machine just hangs. Pushing
    Ctrl-Alt-Del says that the game is running but then the whole PC locks
    up shortly after. A hard boot (i.e. reset button) is then the only
    answer.

    Can anyone help with any suggestions? I have the latest NVidia
    drivers etc installed but don't know what to do next.

    Cheers
    Kevin
    Kevin Sutton, Jan 31, 2004

  2. Kevin Sutton

    ac Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I have just installed a new graphics card in a friends PC to allow it
    > to run 3D games, mainly games for her 8 year old. The PC is a PC
    > Company Duron 800 based on a Chaintech CT-7AIV motherboard with 256Mb
    > SD-RAM, on-board S3-Savage graphics and Windows ME. I have added an
    > Albatron GeForce4 MX440 (64Mb) AGP card as an upgrade to the on-board
    > graphics. There was no jumper on the m/b to disable the on-board
    > graphics so I am assuming that putting the new card in the AGP slot
    > has deactivated the on-board chip.
    >
    > Anyway, once the card was installed, I have installed several 3D games
    > and most of them run fine (e.g. LucasArts Star Wars Racer, Bionicles
    > game etc). A big problem has arisen when I install either Croc 2 or
    > Jimmie Neutron : Boy Genius. The installations seem to go fine but
    > when I try to run the games the whole machine just hangs. Pushing
    > Ctrl-Alt-Del says that the game is running but then the whole PC locks
    > up shortly after. A hard boot (i.e. reset button) is then the only
    > answer.
    >
    > Can anyone help with any suggestions? I have the latest NVidia
    > drivers etc installed but don't know what to do next.

    Does it use a Via motherboard chipset? If so install the latest Via 4-
    in-1 drivers.

    Check the BIOS settings (for things such as AGP aperature)

    Check you version of Direct X (up to version 9 these days) Goto Run->
    dxdiag

    Check the sound card (or on-board sound) driver, to see that it is the
    latest.

    Check for patches for the games that are giving you problems.

    Check to see what programs are running in the background (such as virus
    scanners, spyware etc), before running the games.

    Check for bad memory sticks with something like
    http://www.memtest86.com/

    Check that the CPU is overheating...(unlikely in this case though)

    Run a complete defrag and disk check on your hard drive.

    Get rid of Windows ME ...........
    ac, Jan 31, 2004

  3. Kevin Sutton

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 11:19:19 +1300, ac wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> I have just installed a new graphics card in a friends PC to allow it

    > Get rid of Windows ME ...........

    Possibly one of the best things you could do, assuming there are no
    hardware problems. XP is more likely to support the hardware and hardly
    ever crashes (for me anyway, it has never totaly crashed, not that i can
    remember).
    On the other hand Win 98 is more likely to support the older games that you
    are running on it, and it should have drivers for everything.
    -[Myth]-, Feb 5, 2004