Help installing a new harddrive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Appelonius, Oct 28, 2003.

  1. Appelonius

    Appelonius Guest

    I'm trying to get my new harddrive working. I've got Windows to recognize
    it and it seems that a partition has been created. I can't seem to format
    it though, and the computer doesn't even see it when I reboot to dos mode.

    I'm wondering now if it has something to do with the jumper settings. I've
    followed the diagram in the book, the new drive is a DiamondMax Plus 8, and
    I've followed Style B accordingly:

    http://www.intrasof.com/gmfiles/jumper-settings.jpg << (Diagram in the
    manual that came with the HD)

    I'm not sure, though, what the Cylinder Limitation Jumper is supposed to
    be... so I just ignored that. The drive came pre-set to Cable Select mode.
    I understand that you can only use Cable Select if your other drive in the
    system is also using Cable Select - but it looks like it's set up as Master
    so I set this new drive up as Slave by removing the jumper.

    Should I have done something different? Maybe I misread my Master drive and
    I should have set this one to Cable Select. Will it damage the drive if the
    jumper's set wrong?
    Appelonius, Oct 28, 2003

  2. Appelonius

    Billy Guest

    Is your primary drive set to Master, only drive? You may need to change
    it to master, with slave.
    How was a partition created and with what OS? Use the MMC/Fdisk to
    really partition and then format it.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255867

    Billy, Oct 28, 2003

  3. Appelonius

    Appelonius Guest

    "Billy" <> wrote in message
    > Is your primary drive set to Master, only drive? You may need to change
    > it to master, with slave.
    > How was a partition created and with what OS? Use the MMC/Fdisk to
    > really partition and then format it.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255867

    Neither drive seems to have a "master only" or "master with slave" setting.

    I created the partition with the software on the CD that came with the
    drive - and I checked the drive out in fdisk and it recognized the
    partition.

    I'm using Windows 95 but to set up the disk I booted from the CD.
    Appelonius, Oct 28, 2003
  4. Appelonius

    Appelonius Guest

    Hey people, just thought I should let you know that I've managed to figure
    out the problem, you can ignore this thread now :)
    Appelonius, Oct 28, 2003
  5. Appelonius

    Billy Guest

    Cool take care.

    Billy, Oct 28, 2003
  6. Appelonius

    trout Guest

    Appelonius wrote:

    > Hey people, just thought I should let you know that I've managed to
    > figure out the problem, you can ignore this thread now :)

    "Aaaaaaargh!"

    That's the sound of the person in the future that has searched
    Google Groups with the same problem; and didn't find out how you fixed
    yours.
    --
    "Don't mess with them. They have ray-guns."
    trout, Oct 28, 2003
  7. Appelonius

    Appelonius Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    > Appelonius wrote:
    >
    > > Hey people, just thought I should let you know that I've managed to
    > > figure out the problem, you can ignore this thread now :)

    > "Aaaaaaargh!"
    >
    > That's the sound of the person in the future that has searched
    > Google Groups with the same problem; and didn't find out how you fixed
    > yours.

    Good point, I suppose I should let you know as a public service.

    For some reason Windows still identified drive D: as my CD drive, and
    identified drive E: as my new HD. I booted to DOS, and decided to try to
    format D: in one of those insane
    idea-hits-you-that-you-try-for-no-good-reason moments, and to my surprise it
    went ahead and formatted it. When I booted back up to Windows it was
    identifying D: as my new HD and now E: is my CD.
    Appelonius, Nov 1, 2003
  8. Appelonius

    trout Guest

    Appelonius wrote:

    > "trout" <> wrote in message
    >> Appelonius wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hey people, just thought I should let you know that I've managed to
    >>> figure out the problem, you can ignore this thread now :)

    >> "Aaaaaaargh!"
    >>
    >> That's the sound of the person in the future that has searched
    >> Google Groups with the same problem; and didn't find out how you
    >> fixed yours.

    > Good point, I suppose I should let you know as a public service.
    >
    > For some reason Windows still identified drive D: as my CD drive, and
    > identified drive E: as my new HD. I booted to DOS, and decided to
    > try to format D: in one of those insane
    > idea-hits-you-that-you-try-for-no-good-reason moments, and to my
    > surprise it went ahead and formatted it. When I booted back up to
    > Windows it was identifying D: as my new HD and now E: is my CD.

    Good of you to check back in. Always gives a nice sense of
    completion; to see what happened from problem to solution. Some people
    read these things out of a sense of curiosity, and it's like having the
    last chapter missing.
    And, you might have just given someone a shove in the right
    direction for their problem.
    --
    "Hey, you never know...."
    trout, Nov 1, 2003