    This ring any bells with anyone?

    cheers,
    max
    Max, Oct 21, 2005

  2. Max

    Rider Guest

    "Max" <max.b@[nospam].orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm trying to help an aquaintance setup an old PC they were given, they
    > claim it has neither ethernet ports nor USB ports, which to me sounds
    > crazy.
    >
    > Unfortunately I'm trying to do this over the phone, I'm trying to identify
    > the PC, but all they can tell me is that it's running win98 (so must be
    > fairly aged) and has a "C" and "designer series" on the case, also it is a
    > tower, not a lay flat case (not to sure of the terminology there).
    >
    > This ring any bells with anyone?
    >
    > cheers,
    > max

    Its entirely possible for it to not have either ethernet or USB ports, if
    it's old enough. How long have you been working on computers???

    A lay flat case is a desktop case.

    From the information you've given, it could be anything.

    Rider
    Rider, Oct 21, 2005

  3. Max

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>, max.b@[nospam].orcon.net.nz
    says...
    > I'm trying to help an aquaintance setup an old PC they were given, they
    > claim it has neither ethernet ports nor USB ports, which to me sounds crazy.

    USB ports were not common in machines made before 1996 or so, and some
    boards after that date had them on a slot bracket that was optional or
    didn't need to be installed.

    Onboard ethernet was not common then either.
    Rob J, Oct 21, 2005
  4. Max

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:28:27 +1300, Max wrote:

    > I'm trying to help an aquaintance setup an old PC they were given, they
    > claim it has neither ethernet ports nor USB ports, which to me sounds crazy.

    It is not. USB ports are new, but appeared on MB before Ethernet ports.

    Remember win98 even SE, does not natively support USB, nor ethernet. Well
    not quite, Realtek 8029 is supported off the CD.
    Gordon, Oct 21, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    Gordon <> wrote:

    >Remember win98 even SE, does not natively support USB, nor ethernet.

    I thought Wind98 was the first version of Dimdows to include proper
    support for USB, at least. Remember that was released not long after the
    first Apple iMac, which was the key factor in making USB wildly
    successful.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 21, 2005
  6. Max

    Shane Guest

    On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 19:41:22 +1300, Bling Bling wrote:

    > On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 19:35:09 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >>>Remember win98 even SE, does not natively support USB, nor ethernet.

    >> I thought Wind98 was the first version of Dimdows to include proper
    >> support for USB,

    > It was!
    >
    > Win98fe included support for the USB. But it required drivers for all the
    > hardware that would be connected to said USB.
    >
    > WinNT5.1 includes many of those drivers out of the box.
    >

    > Bling Bling

    It wasnt.. windows 95 OSR2 was the first

    Shane, Oct 21, 2005
  7. Max

    Bling Bling Guest

    --
    Pamela Jones: "Linux will continue to grow, and open formats and standards
    will continue to be adopted in part because we don't trust Microsoft."
    Bling Bling, Oct 21, 2005
  8. Max

    steve Guest

    Max wrote:

    > I'm trying to help an aquaintance setup an old PC they were given, they
    > claim it has neither ethernet ports nor USB ports, which to me sounds
    > crazy.

    Not if it's more than 10 years old.

    > Unfortunately I'm trying to do this over the phone, I'm trying to identify
    > the PC, but all they can tell me is that it's running win98 (so must be
    > fairly aged)

    My daughter uses Win98 today.....It's immune to most of the XP/2000-specific
    viruses....and runs almost all the software....as well as being able to run
    almost all the OLD software, too.

    Win98SE is the "sweet spot" for Windows and DOS software compatibility and
    Windows system security.

    My daughter uses Open Office, Firefox, Thunderbird....on Win98SE....and she
    doesn't need any anti-virus software.....provided she doesn't execute any
    attachments or use MS IE by mistake.

    > and has a "C" and "designer series" on the case, also it is a
    > tower, not a lay flat case (not to sure of the terminology there).
    >
    > This ring any bells with anyone?

    When it boots up cold, what does the BIOS output display on-screen?

    How to do you get into the setup? DEL or F2 or something else?
    steve, Oct 21, 2005
  9. Max

    Rob J Guest

    In article <-a-geek.net>,
    -a-geek.net says...

    > >> I thought Wind98 was the first version of Dimdows to include proper
    > >> support for USB,

    > > It was!
    > >
    > > Win98fe included support for the USB. But it required drivers for all the
    > > hardware that would be connected to said USB.
    > >
    > > WinNT5.1 includes many of those drivers out of the box.
    > >

    > > Bling Bling

    > It wasnt.. windows 95 OSR2 was the first

    OSR2.1 to be exact. But many USB peripherals required Windows 98 as a
    minimum.
    Rob J, Oct 21, 2005
  10. Max

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Max wrote:
    >
    > > I'm trying to help an aquaintance setup an old PC they were given, they
    > > claim it has neither ethernet ports nor USB ports, which to me sounds
    > > crazy.

    > Not if it's more than 10 years old.
    >
    > > Unfortunately I'm trying to do this over the phone, I'm trying to identify
    > > the PC, but all they can tell me is that it's running win98 (so must be
    > > fairly aged)

    > My daughter uses Win98 today.....It's immune to most of the XP/2000-specific
    > viruses....and runs almost all the software....as well as being able to run
    > almost all the OLD software, too.
    >
    > Win98SE is the "sweet spot" for Windows and DOS software compatibility and
    > Windows system security.

    XP/2000 are far more secure and loads of viruses run on Win98.
    Rob J, Oct 21, 2005
  11. Max

    PC Guest

    > I'm trying to help an aquaintance setup an old PC they were given, they
    > claim it has neither ethernet ports nor USB ports, which to me sounds
    > crazy.
    >
    > Unfortunately I'm trying to do this over the phone, I'm trying to identify
    > the PC, but all they can tell me is that it's running win98 (so must be
    > fairly aged) and has a "C" and "designer series" on the case, also it is a
    > tower, not a lay flat case (not to sure of the terminology there).
    >
    > This ring any bells with anyone?
    >
    > cheers,
    > max

    Max

    USB and Ethernet were not common on PC's until Windows 2000 was released.
    You could add them but it often required add in cards and driver software.

    Considering Taiwan produced PC boxes and components by the 10's of Millions
    let alone the American & European manufacturers, your description is like
    asking to identify a 'red apple'
    The best way identify the Motherboard, CPU, Ram, HD etc will be by visually
    inspecting it.

    Do be aware an older PC like this may well be uneconomic to 'fix up' even
    if it is a family or mates rates job.
    Not only difficult to identify, but highly likely frustrating to work on
    because of it's slowness.

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PC, Oct 21, 2005
  12. Max

    Enkidu Guest

    Max wrote:
    > I'm trying to help an aquaintance setup an old PC they were given, they
    > claim it has neither ethernet ports nor USB ports, which to me sounds crazy.
    >
    > Unfortunately I'm trying to do this over the phone, I'm trying to identify
    > the PC, but all they can tell me is that it's running win98 (so must be
    > fairly aged) and has a "C" and "designer series" on the case, also it is a
    > tower, not a lay flat case (not to sure of the terminology there).
    >
    > This ring any bells with anyone?
    >
    > cheers,
    > max

    Commodore? Is the "C" accompanied by a double wdge thingee?

    http://www.commodore.ca/

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 21, 2005
  13. Max

    Crains Guest

    steve wrote:
    > My daughter uses Open Office, Firefox, Thunderbird....on
    > Win98SE....and she doesn't need any anti-virus software.....provided
    > she doesn't execute any attachments or use MS IE by mistake.

    My god!!! there are people who believe that the only way to get a virus is
    by using IE or opening attachments?
    Have you forgotten about Blaster already?
    Crains, Oct 21, 2005
  14. Max

    Crains Guest

    Max wrote:
    > I'm trying to help an aquaintance setup an old PC they were given,
    > they claim it has neither ethernet ports nor USB ports, which to me
    > sounds crazy.
    > Unfortunately I'm trying to do this over the phone, I'm trying to
    > identify the PC, but all they can tell me is that it's running win98
    > (so must be fairly aged) and has a "C" and "designer series" on the
    > case, also it is a tower, not a lay flat case (not to sure of the
    > terminology there).
    > This ring any bells with anyone?
    >
    > cheers,
    > max

    What exactly are you trying to do? If you are looking for information
    regarding the hardware on the PC try a utility like Belarc Advisor
    http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html I think this will be more useful
    than who built the box.
    Crains, Oct 21, 2005
  15. Max

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote in

    > Its entirely possible for it to not have either ethernet or USB ports,
    > if it's old enough. How long have you been working on computers???

    Lets give him an MFM RLL drive in a 286 and see what happens.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Oct 21, 2005
  16. Max

    Rob J Guest

    In article <JJ16f.1741$>,
    says...
    > "Max" <max.b@[nospam].orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
    > > I'm trying to help an aquaintance setup an old PC they were given, they
    > > claim it has neither ethernet ports nor USB ports, which to me sounds
    > > crazy.
    > >
    > > Unfortunately I'm trying to do this over the phone, I'm trying to identify
    > > the PC, but all they can tell me is that it's running win98 (so must be
    > > fairly aged) and has a "C" and "designer series" on the case, also it is a
    > > tower, not a lay flat case (not to sure of the terminology there).
    > >
    > > This ring any bells with anyone?
    > >
    > > cheers,
    > > max
    > >

    > Max
    >
    > USB and Ethernet were not common on PC's until Windows 2000 was released.
    > You could add them but it often required add in cards and driver software.

    My 430TX motherboard made 1996 has onboard ports. Most ATX boards made
    from this time on had them built in. It was only in Baby AT boards that
    often they would be in a slot bracket that in some cases was an optional
    extra, but the chips would be present on the board.
    Rob J, Oct 21, 2005
  17. Max

    EMB Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > "Rider" <> wrote in
    >

    >>Its entirely possible for it to not have either ethernet or USB ports,
    >>if it's old enough. How long have you been working on computers???

    > Lets give him an MFM RLL drive in a 286 and see what happens.

    Low level format from debug anyone?

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Oct 21, 2005
  18. Max

    nick Guest

    I'm not sure why it matters what sort of PC it is, probably what is
    more relevant is the chipsets and other specs.

    Belarc Advisor has been mentioned. The other way to get readable system
    specs is to boot a linux live cd like knoppix or damn small linux and
    use utilities like lspci to find out whats in there.
    nick, Oct 21, 2005
  19. On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 22:06:22 +1300, Dave Taylor wrote:

    > "Rider" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Its entirely possible for it to not have either ethernet or USB ports,
    >> if it's old enough. How long have you been working on computers???

    > Lets give him an MFM RLL drive in a 286 and see what happens.

    I have one it's a wyse, love the keyboard, 20M and 40M MFM drives. Has the
    old OD Connected BBS on it :). Dos 5.5 and xtree gold too
    David A' Rebel, Oct 21, 2005
  20. Max

    Fran Guest

    Crains wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >> My daughter uses Open Office, Firefox, Thunderbird....on
    >> Win98SE....and she doesn't need any anti-virus software.....provided
    >> she doesn't execute any attachments or use MS IE by mistake.
    >>

    > My god!!! there are people who believe that the only way to get a virus is
    > by using IE or opening attachments?
    > Have you forgotten about Blaster already?

    Which affected Win98 how?

    Fran
    :):):)
    Fran, Oct 21, 2005