Help! I think I've gone blind!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Aardvark, Oct 16, 2008.

  1. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    I have no idea if this will get through to the group, but I'm posting
    anyway.

    Since last night my newsreader has been misbehaving. I had been reading
    posts in 24hshd then moved on to others of my subscribed groups and read
    some posts in those.

    On returning to this group I found that although the post numbers in my
    'Subscribed Groups' pane increased, my preview pane (which usually
    contains the headers of the posts) is completely empty. Nada, Zilch,
    zero. A totally blank white space.

    Thinking that this may have been a glitch in my news server I switched to
    my backup server. Still the same. Tried my tertiary server, still no joy.

    Tried unsubbing and resubbing to the group and the result was the same.
    My preview pane still looks like a polar bear walking through a blizzard
    as seen through the wall of an igloo.

    Closed Pan.

    Reopened Pan.

    No headers.

    Rebooted, opened Pan, no headers.

    I can read and post to my other subscribed groups just fine. This problem
    only exists with 24hshd. Does anyone have any idea to remedy this
    situation? Blinky or Beauregard- any suggestions?

    I'll check back using Goggle Gropes (spit!) periodically today and see a)
    if this post has shown up and b) if anyone has a fix.

    Sittin' and hopin' with bated breath.

    --
    Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008
    http://www.liverpool08.com

    Aardvark, Oct 16, 2008

  2. Aardvark wrote:

    > I have no idea if this will get through to the group, but I'm posting
    > anyway.

    Yep, it made it through the cyber of space.

    > Since last night my newsreader has been misbehaving. <schnippage>

    > I can read and post to my other subscribed groups just fine. This problem
    > only exists with 24hshd. Does anyone have any idea to remedy this
    > situation? Blinky or Beauregard- any suggestions?

    I don't know what to offer, other than to test a reply also using Pan --
    although a different version than yours (the older stable one).

    > I'll check back using Goggle Gropes (spit!) periodically today ...

    Nobody will see it! :)

    Nobody will see it! :)

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 16, 2008

  3. On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 12:42:26 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

    > I have no idea if this will get through to the group, but I'm posting
    > anyway.
    >
    > Since last night my newsreader has been misbehaving. I had been reading
    > posts in 24hshd then moved on to others of my subscribed groups and read
    > some posts in those.
    >
    > On returning to this group I found that although the post numbers in my
    > 'Subscribed Groups' pane increased, my preview pane (which usually
    > contains the headers of the posts) is completely empty. Nada, Zilch,
    > zero. A totally blank white space.
    >
    > Thinking that this may have been a glitch in my news server I switched to
    > my backup server. Still the same. Tried my tertiary server, still no joy.
    >
    > Tried unsubbing and resubbing to the group and the result was the same.
    > My preview pane still looks like a polar bear walking through a blizzard
    > as seen through the wall of an igloo.
    >
    > Closed Pan.
    >
    > Reopened Pan.
    >
    > No headers.
    >
    > Rebooted, opened Pan, no headers.
    >
    > I can read and post to my other subscribed groups just fine. This problem
    > only exists with 24hshd. Does anyone have any idea to remedy this
    > situation? Blinky or Beauregard- any suggestions?
    >
    > I'll check back using Goggle Gropes (spit!) periodically today and see a)
    > if this post has shown up and b) if anyone has a fix.

    > Sittin' and hopin' with bated breath.

    Pan/0.133 is still regarded as a beta version, & may not be too stable in
    some distros. Charles Kerr has slowed down on the development of the 0.13x
    versions, for some reason.
    Personally I prefer the 0.14.2.xx version which is stable & has more
    features. I dunno which distro you're using, but there will be an older
    version for it in the repositories.

    William Poaster, Oct 16, 2008
  4. Aardvark

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-10-16, Aardvark <> wrote:

    [...]

    > On returning to this group I found that although the post numbers in my
    > 'Subscribed Groups' pane increased, my preview pane (which usually
    > contains the headers of the posts) is completely empty. Nada, Zilch,
    > zero. A totally blank white space.

    [...]

    Have you manged to plonk all posts in the group? Or set the foreground
    and background to the same colour?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Oct 16, 2008
  5. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 17:33:48 +0100, Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2008-10-16, Aardvark <> wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >> On returning to this group I found that although the post numbers in my
    >> 'Subscribed Groups' pane increased, my preview pane (which usually
    >> contains the headers of the posts) is completely empty. Nada, Zilch,
    >> zero. A totally blank white space.

    > [...]
    >
    > Have you manged to plonk all posts in the group? Or set the foreground
    > and background to the same colour?

    Spot on the button, mate. Plonked everybody while trying to plonk
    nettechguide numbskulls LOL.

    Aardvark, Oct 16, 2008