    I would appreciate some advice on which manufacturer and what some of
    the important considerations I should consider. If you've read this to
    this point thank you and also for any additional help!

    Jamie M., Jan 26, 2004

  2. Canon G3 gets good reviews but I think it's a bit more than you want to
    spend.

    Charles Schuler, Jan 26, 2004

  3. Jamie M.

    Happy Canuck Guest

    I'd consider the Canon SD100 ($449 at Futureshop).

    Small, easy to carry, good quality, good features.

    Check here for review information:
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

    Bill/Toronto

    Happy Canuck, Jan 26, 2004
  4. On 25 Jan 2004 22:47:39 -0800, (Jamie M.) wrote:

    >I just can't seem to decide what type of digital camera to buy. I
    >would like to spend approx.$400 Canadian. I think a 3 megapixel, 3
    >times zoom would be about right. I have looked at comsumer reports on
    >the topic and have a little knowledge. I will be using my camera
    >mainly for photographing my children, mainly during sports activities.
    >I would appreciate some advice on which manufacturer and what some of
    >the important considerations I should consider. If you've read this to
    >this point thank you and also for any additional help!

    You may want to consider the Canon A70. Optical and Digital Zoom for
    the sporting events; also, a total of 12 shooting modes which include
    aperture and shutter speed priorities good for sports or portraits;
    was rated a "Best Buy" by PC World Magazine for cameras under $400.

    You will probably want to purchase a larger capacity card and
    rechargeable batteries (w/ charger) for an additional $75 U.S.

    Alan

    Alan Wonsowski, Jan 26, 2004
  5. Jamie M.

    Hyun Guest

    (Jamie M.) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I just can't seem to decide what type of digital camera to buy. I
    > would like to spend approx.$400 Canadian. I think a 3 megapixel, 3
    > times zoom would be about right. I have looked at comsumer reports on
    > the topic and have a little knowledge. I will be using my camera
    > mainly for photographing my children, mainly during sports activities.
    > I would appreciate some advice on which manufacturer and what some of
    > the important considerations I should consider. If you've read this to
    > this point thank you and also for any additional help!

    At this price point, the main issue based on what you want to take
    pictures of will be shutter lag especially when using a flash. I use
    a Nikon 4300 (4 megapixel and 3x optical zoom) and am very happy with
    the results after getting used to its shutter lag, etc. It may be a
    bit higher than your price point but on sale it will be close.

    Arthur Lee
    http://www.best-digital-photos.com/index1

    Hyun, Jan 26, 2004
  6. Jamie M.

    JEB Guest

    Check out the Minolta Dimage Z1. It has a 10x optical lense, 3.2 mp and
    about every setting you could want. Can use in auto functions or manual.
    Well worth the $ - about $325US.

    JEB

    JEB, Jan 27, 2004
  7. At http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp you can find a buying guide.
    By entering a few properties it gives you some proposals.

    According to why you said about main usage I would recommend to give more
    priority on small shutter and focus lags. This seems important for me as
    children tend to move fast (not only on sport events) and all digital
    cameras have the disadvantage of being slower in getting the focus and
    making the picture as the "normal" cameras.

    Have a look at the in-depth-reviews at http://www.dpreview.com/reviews where
    always tests are made regarding autofocus and shutter lags. There are even
    test pictures available for download in original quality at dpreview.

    From the menu and picture quality I prefer Canon but from the lag times they
    may not be the best. For sport events the 3x zoom may be a little poor if
    the children e.g. are on a football field. You will find out that the use of
    the digital zoom is not good because of bad picture quality. So probably a
    better optical zoom would be good. However the most compact digital cameras
    are around 3x optical zoom. Olympus has some models with more if this is
    important to you.

    It's a pleasure,

    Martin.

    Martin Wildam, Jan 29, 2004
  8. Jamie M.

    Paul L Guest

    Martin, great post, I'd like to add not using full auto mode on any camera
    for sports or other tough situations. You even may have to change focus
    modes in action shots. At least w/a digital you don't have to wait for
    developing.

    "Martin Wildam" <> wrote in message
    > At http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp you can find a buying

    guide.
    > By entering a few properties it gives you some proposals.
    >
    > According to why you said about main usage I would recommend to give more
    > priority on small shutter and focus lags. This seems important for me as
    > children tend to move fast (not only on sport events) and all digital
    > cameras have the disadvantage of being slower in getting the focus and
    > making the picture as the "normal" cameras.
    >
    > Have a look at the in-depth-reviews at http://www.dpreview.com/reviews

    where
    > always tests are made regarding autofocus and shutter lags. There are even
    > test pictures available for download in original quality at dpreview.
    >
    > From the menu and picture quality I prefer Canon but from the lag times

    they

    Paul L, Jan 29, 2004
  9. Thanks.

    A problem with manual focus is - besides I have difficulty estimating the
    distance - that the field of depth is smaller with the digital cameras (my
    experience so far, maybe because of the smaller lenses). Therefore the
    digital cameras are more sensitive regarding focus mistakes and I would give
    a big priority on a quick and good autofocus.

    Tried some digicams and I experienced often missed autofocus. With my Canon
    S50 it seems that autofocus misses more often if I use higher resolution or
    if I am under artificial or lower light with flash. However I got used to
    taking a lot more pictures than with my film SLR camera because half of the
    pictures taken indoors are to delete.

    Martin Wildam, Jan 31, 2004