    --
    - -
    ME

    Automan1911, Mar 5, 2005

  2. In article <Xns961093EE49431nomailnil@65.32.5.122>,
    Automan1911 <> wrote:
    :I just bought a Cisco etherswitch 1200 switch with 25 10baseT ports, 2
    :10/100 uplinks, 1 aui and a com port on the back. I need to know how to
    :comunicate with it so i can configure the switch for my network. If anyone
    :Has a Idea as to how I can do this please let me know.

    I'm not familar with that particular model, but quite likely what
    you need is a serial connection at 9600 baud into the com port.
    I suspect a "straight-through" cable would be appropriate.

    For some of the operations, you might also need a terminal program
    capable of generating a BREAK signal. Not all versions of HyperTerm
    are able to do that. You might want to look for Kermit
    (literally decades of experience and development behind it) or
    TerraTerm Pro (well respected, free.)
    --
    Are we *there* yet??

    Walter Roberson, Mar 5, 2005

  3. Automan1911

    Automan1911 Guest

    -cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote in

    > In article <Xns961093EE49431nomailnil@65.32.5.122>,
    > Automan1911 <> wrote:
    >:I just bought a Cisco etherswitch 1200 switch with 25 10baseT ports, 2
    >:10/100 uplinks, 1 aui and a com port on the back. I need to know how
    >:to comunicate with it so i can configure the switch for my network. If
    >:anyone Has a Idea as to how I can do this please let me know.
    >
    > I'm not familar with that particular model, but quite likely what
    > you need is a serial connection at 9600 baud into the com port.
    > I suspect a "straight-through" cable would be appropriate.
    >
    > For some of the operations, you might also need a terminal program
    > capable of generating a BREAK signal. Not all versions of HyperTerm
    > are able to do that. You might want to look for Kermit
    > (literally decades of experience and development behind it) or
    > TerraTerm Pro (well respected, free.)

    Ok I tryed that and all i can get is

    ATQ0H0

    atleast there is comunication right? Just not what I want to see.:(

    Automan1911, Mar 5, 2005
  4. In article <wTqWd.4187409$>,
    Automan1911 <> wrote:
    :-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote in
    :news:d0d33d$ims$:
    :> I'm not familar with that particular model, but quite likely what
    :> you need is a serial connection at 9600 baud into the com port.

    :Ok I tryed that and all i can get is

    :ATQ0H0

    Wrong serial port. You are talking your built-in modem.
    --
    Entropy is the logarithm of probability -- Boltzmann

    Walter Roberson, Mar 5, 2005
  5. Automan1911

    Ivan Ostreš Guest

    In article <d0ddv5$2hn$>, -
    cnrc.gc.ca says...
    > In article <wTqWd.4187409$>,
    > Automan1911 <> wrote:
    > :-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote in
    > :news:d0d33d$ims$:
    > :> I'm not familar with that particular model, but quite likely what
    > :> you need is a serial connection at 9600 baud into the com port.
    >
    > :Ok I tryed that and all i can get is
    >
    > :ATQ0H0
    >
    > Wrong serial port. You are talking your built-in modem.

    Not necessarily. It could be that he just has wrong cable.

    To OP: search groups.google.com, there's been a lot of posts on that
    talk about such behaviour from old cisco switches and wrong cable.

    Just my 0.02.

    --
    -Ivan.

    Ivan Ostreš, Mar 6, 2005