    Chris Guest

    What do I do now?

    Thanks in advance

    Chris, Jul 18, 2004

  2. Chris

    Michael-NC Guest

    Reset the cmos, reseat the video card and hope you didn't cause an ESD event
    that farked the machine.

    Michael-NC, Jul 19, 2004

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    how do you reset the cmos? and what is a esd event?

    thanks for your reply

    Chris, Jul 19, 2004
  4. Chris

    PLS Guest

    maybe if you posted the make/model of your machine/motherboard
    someone could help you.

    ESD=electrostatic discharge. i.e. static zapped the circuitry.

    PLS, Jul 19, 2004
  5. Chris

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > how do you reset the cmos? and what is a esd event?

    There is usually a jumper near the battery, refer to your mainboard manual.

    ESD= Electro static discharge.

    http://www.reade.com/Safety/esd.html

    Try and reseat the video card and does anything happen when you boot the
    machine?

    Michael-NC, Jul 19, 2004
  6. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Thanks I tried that and no effect. Basically, when I try to boot there is
    no beep that indicates the system has booted. Nothing on the screen at all
    and the floppy drive does not light up. The motherboard says; CRX-266 GX
    MBRD on the back and ST_MGX M on the front. Also, the Award cmos ;PCI/PNP
    586 S/N 149202021.

    Thanks again for your help

    Chris, Jul 19, 2004
  7. Chris

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks I tried that and no effect. Basically, when I try to boot there is
    > no beep that indicates the system has booted. Nothing on the screen at

    all
    > and the floppy drive does not light up. The motherboard says; CRX-266 GX
    > MBRD on the back and ST_MGX M on the front. Also, the Award cmos ;PCI/PNP
    > 586 S/N 149202021.

    Does the CPU fan spin up? Does the power LED come on? Why did you change the
    battery/was the board working before?

    Are you _sure_ you put the correct battery in?

    Make sure you didn't loosen the power switch connection when you changed the
    battery. They are usually in the lower right corner of the board and there
    are 3 or 4 wires with small connectors attached to a set of pins. Check all
    the connections.

    Michael-NC, Jul 19, 2004
  8. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Yes, the fan spins and the power led lights up and initially the cd lights
    up as well as the keyboard. However, no beep, screen nor floppy. I changed
    the battery because I was getting a message at startup saying there was a
    problem with the battery and the clock was not keeping time. I will check
    the wires you suggested but I am starting to think that this password
    related and I need to somehow reset the cmos.

    Thanks

    Chris, Jul 19, 2004
  9. Chris

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > Yes, the fan spins and the power led lights up and initially the cd lights
    > up as well as the keyboard. However, no beep, screen nor floppy. I

    changed
    > the battery because I was getting a message at startup saying there was a
    > problem with the battery and the clock was not keeping time. I will check
    > the wires you suggested but I am starting to think that this password
    > related and I need to somehow reset the cmos.
    >
    > Thanks

    Try the jumper to reset the cmos. Perhaps your monitor went out. Do you have
    another computer you could try the monitor on? Same thing with the video
    card.
    Check your external cable connections as well.

    Michael-NC, Jul 19, 2004
  10. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Found the jumper finally and reset the cmos, thanks for the input

    Chris, Jul 19, 2004
  11. Chris

    ProfGene Guest

    You might have knocked something loose while changing the battery. First
    make sure your VGA cable is connected right then open the computer and check
    that the graphics card is seated tightly. Touch the power supply with your
    hand before touching the graphics card to discharge static electricity which
    could damage your card. Also if this doesn't work give the problem again in
    much more detail like the machine's specs. And try starting it up before
    you put the cover or panel back on to make sure you don't snag any of the
    case wiring by accident.

    ProfGene, Jul 20, 2004
  12. Chris

    Arc Guest

    Do this...turn the machine on and allow it enuff time for a
    normal boot up. Now without touching anything else on the
    case pull the plug out of the Power Supply ( try to do this
    as cleanly as possible). Now pull the CMOS jumper and reset
    the CMOS. Wait about 2 minutes then reboot....the machine
    should now boot up with the default CMOS settings, go in
    and adjust these according to your needs.

    Arc, Jul 28, 2004