    trial or a fix for the above. Sorry for the length of this ant help will be
    gratfully excepted.

    Richard

    Richard G Carruthers, Aug 8, 2005

  2. Hi, Richard.

    "Richard G Carruthers" <> wrote in message
    >I installed a Trial Version

    -snip-

    > an Anti-virus that worked without problems on my computer. I first tried
    > Avast and had the usual problems that some others had plus a nasty one
    > that I have not heard anything about anyone having.

    The only problem I've ever had was with occasional lock-ups at shutdown.

    1. Do you know for sure that Avast is the source of this matter?
    2. Are you running other firewall/AV software - possibly from BIOS, that
    might create a conflict?

    My suggestion is to install any AV early on, when the O/S is quite fresh.
    Then, if you want to install anything else you download it and disable your
    i-net connection and firewall/AV, now, install the stuff - re-boot, and
    re-activate your firewall/AV and i-net. Always use this procedure whenever
    you are experiencing trouble.What burner software are you using? XP x64 is
    quite new and everything cannot be expected to cope with everything else. .
    ..after all, they all come from different sources and they too have to addapt
    to the newness of it all. In the 'worst-case-scenario' you might have to
    decide to exchange some of your hardware and get something other that falls
    into place as smoothly as we all wish it would always be - but rarely is.

    > Periodically without warning it would wipe out the installation of my
    > cd-rom & DVD/CD burner. Tried all the suggestions and the only way I ever
    > got it back was to reinstall.

    I refuse to believe that Avast is doing that, if it does it has to be
    because of something else in your system that has gone bad, and getting rid
    of it won't rid you of the problem.

    In my experience there is some software that installs enhancements or
    modules that might be the source of all kinds of curious behaviour. 'Nero
    inCD' is one 'Nvidia nView' - the desktop virtualisation module - is
    another. There is nothing wrong with the software as such, it might work
    perfectly on one machine, and be a total disaster on another. Careful
    analyzing is a requirement.

    And - your equipment in mind - install things one at a time. Wait several
    days before installing anything else again. You need to get a personal
    relationship with your machine. It's like a wife, you know. You've go to
    know which buttons to press.

    So I got rid of it. Install eTrust's x64bit trial and
    > had nothing but trouble installing it. It took hours to get it to install
    > right and update right.

    I haven't tried it myself, but NOD32 have gotten terrific reviews.
    Personally, though, I think you have a chipset that is conflicting with some
    software you are running. I would re-install from scratch and get all
    possible hardware related updates (ROM/driver) using the above procedure,
    carefully re-install only the basic stuff to positivly identify the culprit.
    Might be a lengthy process, but in the end, often the cheapest and most
    educating and rewarding one.

    And - if ever you re-install anything remotely Window'ish - uninstall
    first!!!

    Regards, Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 8, 2005

  3. Richard G Carruthers

    John Barnes Guest

    Just to clarify, what do you mean by wipe out your CD rom? What are your
    symptoms and what shows in device manager when it is wiped out? Also what
    do you mean when you say reinstall? The whole system or allowing the CD to
    install when you re boot? If the device is still in Device Manager when
    this happens, have you tried the roll back drivers options in Device
    manager? What were the results, and finally have you checked the drivers in
    the CD to see if all are WHQL and note any that aren't and delete them. Do
    an uninstall on the device and what happens when you reboot?

    John Barnes, Aug 8, 2005
  4. Yes I am sure remove avast and no problem install avast and problem returns
    within hours, remove it is gone. What I mean is Yellow question marks in
    device manager beside both CD-Rom and DVD/CD burner and they cannot be
    reinstalled. once in awhile system restore will work but usually end up
    reinstalling x64. Am using CDBurner XP Pro 3 works fine when DVD
    available and in eTrust.

    Richard G Carruthers, Aug 8, 2005
  5. Richard G Carruthers

    John Barnes Guest

    So eTrust is now installed and working fine. Then it would appear that
    Avast and CDBurner XP Pro 3 have a conflict.

    John Barnes, Aug 8, 2005
  6. Richard G Carruthers

    John Barnes Guest

    There is a 30 day trial of NOD32 available here if you are still looking for
    something else. I don't know where you are since one post you got rid of
    eTrust and another it works fine.

    http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/NOD32_for_Windows_20002003XPx64/1030805525/1

    John Barnes, Aug 8, 2005
  7. etrust works right once installled took hours refused to update. Updated a
    couple of times after original install than will not update. I do not call
    that operating correctly and CA has refused to respond to repeated requests-
    have wven tried reporting it as a bug. I couldn't agree more there is a
    problem with avast but this happens without ever using any burning software.
    I doubt it is with
    CDBurner XP Pro 3. Thanks for the info will try Nod32 asASAP and report
    back.

    Richard G Carruthers, Aug 8, 2005
  8. Richard G Carruthers

    jackfrost64 Guest

    Re: Still desperately need antivius or....

    Nothing has worked so far but, finally did find a way to get error
    message. Doesn't mean much to me but here it is: "Can' find infomation on
    the Inoculatel T engine for window's 2003 (....". Any assist will be greatly
    appreciated.

    jackfrost64, Aug 9, 2005
  9. Re: Still desperately need antivius or....

    Either there's something wrong with your display, or your keybord. Doesn't
    mean much to me as well. Please, copy the exact error message and search the
    knowledgebase.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 10, 2005
  10. Richard G Carruthers

    jackfrost64 Guest

    Re: Still desperately need antivius or....

    Thanks for the suggestions, I have searched Google and several other search
    engines as well as Microsoft Knowledge baseand have found. The Error
    message is exactly as posted in the other posting.m I have disconnected the
    keyboard & mouse ( Which were both Microsoft Programable) and connect a Ps/2
    mouse & keyboard. Will let you know what happens.

    Richard

    jackfrost64, Aug 10, 2005
  11. Richard G Carruthers

    jackfrost64 Guest

    Re: Still desperately need antivius or....

    Have changed out both keyboard and mouse , but "There is no joy in Mudville
    Tonight"

    Richard

    jackfrost64, Aug 10, 2005