HELP!!! I am a TOTAL BEGINNER!

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBIYXllcw==?=, Jan 19, 2004.

  1. I want to learn C++ and Visual Studio .NET (C# and ASP.NET). I know what programming is, I once did some programmers in DOS Basic and COBOL, but I am totally lost on where to begin. I read "Beginner's Programming" by Greg Perry. I go to the bookstore and feel like an IDIOT...where do I begin - what book do I read - the Microsoft (thousands of dollars - three-five day instructed led classes are over my head and my budget. Where so I start

    I want to learn programming, I want to be MCSD certified in the end, not for money reasons but for knowledge. Please please all gurus willing to help - lead me out of the path of confusion and show me the path to enlightment!

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBIYXllcw==?=, Jan 19, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBIYXllcw==?=

    Hermit Dave Guest

    start with a book on .net programming or to start with just get yourself a
    beginners c# book... once you are fairly comfortable with c# language.. move
    to the next level by learning asp.net or windows programming.
    I have in past used wrox press books (well only a few times) but the books
    were excellent.. specially the one for beginners... they do have a lot of
    code samples.. to put it harshly they do spoon feed you the whole time..
    (but i guess as a beginner you do need that..)

    take it easy... programming is a piece of cake... give it some time... keep
    your goal to learn programming and not to become mcsd... (say when you start
    feeling lousy after studying asp.net for a few months and need some extra
    motivation.. give the exam...) trust me you will enjoy it.. plus once you
    get to knowing a few things... start making some application that will give
    you some good hands on..

    hope this helps... go down to amazon.. and look up the books.. read the
    reviews...

    --
    Regards,
    HD

    Hermit Dave, Jan 19, 2004

  3. Thank you - I have printed your reply and will go to store later today and buy.

    Question - I see you said c# Sharp - what about C++? What is the difference?

    Spoon-feeding - I am still looking for my ba-ba!

    Thanks again for the help.

    Ever-grateful!
    John Hayes

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBIYXllcw==?=, Jan 19, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBIYXllcw==?=

    Hermit Dave Guest

    well people would differ in their opinion... my programming life started
    with C and i eventually moved to C++... mainly doing win32 programming and
    COM programming.
    I have used it for so long that i always associate it with old ways...
    with .NET... C++ has to behave and for me it would have meant forgetting
    some ways and learning some new ways... would have complicated my life...
    so i settled for C#

    spoon feeding in the sense that they give you complete examples... its nice
    when its somethings new ... but after a while... you dont need it any
    more...

    and you are welcome.. .glad i could help...

    --
    Regards,
    HD

    Hermit Dave, Jan 20, 2004
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBIYXllcw==?=

    Nweg Guest

    Don't fret!!

    I was in the same boat about a year and a half ago. Dave
    gave you some good info to work with. I chose to go with
    VB.NET because I didn't have any OOP experience and it
    seemed to be a bit easier to learn. Now that I
    understand it I am going to move to C#. From what I have
    heard the migration shouldnt be that bad. ASP.NET isn't
    that bad once you get a language down. I picked it up
    pretty fast. Do what Dave was saying and you should be
    fine. Also, read message boards as they can help you get
    the lingo down. Always remeber that Microsoft has a
    section called MSDN that you can search through to get
    help with coding. It is invaluable.

    Jump in and get coding!! It's the best way to learn!

    Nick Wegner

    Nweg, Jan 20, 2004
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBIYXllcw==?=

    Guest Guest

    You simply don't know what you are talking about. This is a newsgroup for
    certified professionals to exchange ideas.

    Guest, Jan 21, 2004
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBIYXllcw==?=

    Alistair Guest

    Yeah, right...

    I think you should rephrase:

    "...This is a newsgroup that should be for certified
    professionals to exchange ideas..."

    What this appears to have devolved into is a newsgroup for
    certified professionals to flame each other and vent their
    frustration at the shortcomings of the certification
    process...and, of course, for braindumpers to flog their
    wares!

    Occasionally you will find a post where certified
    professionals exchange ideas (see the one below about
    Stacie posting photos of herself - a particularly rousing
    exchange of ideas!), but for the most part you are more
    likely to find a neophyte asking a) how many questions on
    this or that exam and how much time to complete it, or b)
    how do I find the microsoft/traincert website or c) I
    don't speak English but would like to earn certificated
    status. Please direct me to nearest place where I might
    give exams all next week. (Pidgeon English added for
    authenticity)

    Alistair, Jan 22, 2004
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBIYXllcw==?=

    Hermit Dave Guest

    bang on target!!! mate... yeah vent the frustration and provide links to ms
    train cert site...

    --
    Regards,
    HD

    Hermit Dave, Jan 22, 2004
  9. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBIYXllcw==?=

    JaR Guest

    LOL! So true.

    JaR, Jan 22, 2004
  10. >Stacie posting photos of herself - a particularly rousing
    >exchange of ideas!),

    ... and I'm still waiting for the photo.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jan 22, 2004
  11. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBIYXllcw==?=

    Hermit Dave Guest

    lol... yeah i remember going through that thread.... kinda lost my way half
    way through.

    --
    Regards,
    HD

    Hermit Dave, Jan 22, 2004
  12. >lol... yeah i remember going through that thread.... kinda lost my way half
    >way through.

    lol!

    You must have been bored!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jan 22, 2004