    won't even talk to me.
    Am I missing something somewhere?
    Thanks -Rob-

    ve7eje, May 17, 2010

  2. ve7eje <> writes:
    >I have a couple of Cisco 2811 routers that I am attempting to get a
    >HWIC-2FE working in. Cisco doc (http://tinyurl.com/68fwmh) indicates a
    >minimum IOS version of 12.4(15)T is required. I have tried several IOS
    >images including c2800nm-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T4 and c2800nm-
    >advipservicesk9-mz.124-22.T.
    >The most I can get is the card recognized but tagged as =93WIC module
    >not supported/disabled in this slot=94. I have tried it in several
    >different slots in 2 different routers. I don't have SmartNet so Cisco
    >won't even talk to me.
    >Am I missing something somewhere?

    Sometimes I've found that the minimum IOS version isn't quite
    accurate. I'd bump up versions to something later than 12.4(15)T
    to see if they get picked up. That is a fairly old version anyway.
    (yeah, I see you have, but I'd keep trying in the 12.4T line).

    Smartnet isn't that expensive for that router. Sounds worthwhile to
    put it on maintenance just to get support.
    Ie. CDW has basic Smartnet at $230 for it. They won't make you
    "recertify" hardware at this level, just buy it off-the-shelf..

    Doug McIntyre, May 18, 2010

  3. Am 17.05.2010 20:38, schrieb ve7eje:

    > The most I can get is the card recognized but tagged as “WIC module
    > not supported/disabled in this slot”. I have tried it in several
    > different slots in 2 different routers.

    Does SHOW DIAG list the WIC with the correct FRU Number (WIC Name)?

    --
    Jens

    Jens Bretschneider, May 18, 2010
  4. ve7eje

    Stephen Guest

    On 18 May 2010 12:55:30 GMT, Doug McIntyre <> wrote:

    >ve7eje <> writes:
    >>I have a couple of Cisco 2811 routers that I am attempting to get a
    >>HWIC-2FE working in. Cisco doc (http://tinyurl.com/68fwmh) indicates a
    >>minimum IOS version of 12.4(15)T is required. I have tried several IOS
    >>images including c2800nm-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T4 and c2800nm-
    >>advipservicesk9-mz.124-22.T.
    >>The most I can get is the card recognized but tagged as =93WIC module
    >>not supported/disabled in this slot=94. I have tried it in several
    >>different slots in 2 different routers. I don't have SmartNet so Cisco
    >>won't even talk to me.
    >>Am I missing something somewhere?

    >Sometimes I've found that the minimum IOS version isn't quite
    >accurate. I'd bump up versions to something later than 12.4(15)T
    >to see if they get picked up. That is a fairly old version anyway.
    >(yeah, I see you have, but I'd keep trying in the 12.4T line).

    doesnt the Rom code have to recognise the card sometimes?

    >Smartnet isn't that expensive for that router. Sounds worthwhile to
    >put it on maintenance just to get support.
    >Ie. CDW has basic Smartnet at $230 for it. They won't make you
    >"recertify" hardware at this level, just buy it off-the-shelf..

    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl

    Stephen, May 18, 2010
  5. Stephen <> writes:
    >On 18 May 2010 12:55:30 GMT, Doug McIntyre <> wrote:
    >>ve7eje <> writes:
    >>>I have a couple of Cisco 2811 routers that I am attempting to get a
    >>>HWIC-2FE working in. Cisco doc (http://tinyurl.com/68fwmh) indicates a
    >>>minimum IOS version of 12.4(15)T is required. I have tried several IOS
    >>>images including c2800nm-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T4 and c2800nm-
    >>>advipservicesk9-mz.124-22.T.
    >>>The most I can get is the card recognized but tagged as =93WIC module
    >>>not supported/disabled in this slot=94. I have tried it in several
    >>>different slots in 2 different routers. I don't have SmartNet so Cisco
    >>>won't even talk to me.
    >>>Am I missing something somewhere?

    >>Sometimes I've found that the minimum IOS version isn't quite
    >>accurate. I'd bump up versions to something later than 12.4(15)T
    >>to see if they get picked up. That is a fairly old version anyway.
    >>(yeah, I see you have, but I'd keep trying in the 12.4T line).

    >doesnt the Rom code have to recognise the card sometimes?

    No, the only time the BootROM is ever a factor is with memory (there
    have been routers that needed a new BootROM in order to take more
    memory than they originally were designed for), or going back even
    older, for certain times of Flash DIMMs when Cisco switched manufacturers.

    But both of those are ancient history now-a-days..

    IOS has all its own device drivers, and if 'show diag' shows the card
    with what looks like valid data, then almost always you need a newer
    version of IOS for the router..

    Sometimes you need a different software license level, but the data
    sheet claims IP Base is sufficient for these, and typically in the
    past Cisco hasn't done the license levels for basic ethernet ports..

    Doug McIntyre, May 18, 2010
  6. ve7eje

    ve7eje Guest

    On May 17, 11:38 am, ve7eje <> wrote:
    > I have a couple of Cisco 2811 routers that I am attempting to get a
    > HWIC-2FE working in. Cisco doc (http://tinyurl.com/68fwmh) indicates a
    > minimum IOS version of 12.4(15)T is required. I have tried several IOS
    > images including c2800nm-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T4 and c2800nm-
    > advipservicesk9-mz.124-22.T.
    > The most I can get is the card recognized but tagged as “WIC module
    > not supported/disabled in this slot”. I have tried it in several
    > different slots in 2 different routers. I don't have SmartNet so Cisco
    > won't even talk to me.
    > Am I missing something somewhere?
    > Thanks -Rob-

    OK, it looks like despite Cisco doc to the contrary, 12.4(24)T is the
    minumum required. I was able to get the card recognized using c2800nm-
    advipservicesk9-mz.124-24.T.
    Now I just need to get a version that supports DECNet.

    Thanks -Rob-

    ve7eje, May 19, 2010