Help - huge problem w/HSRP 6506s, inter-VLAN routing and retransmissions

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by papi, Apr 30, 2005.

  1. papi

    papi Guest

    Existing setup: redundant (HSRP) 6506 setup (running for more than a year
    like this), with:
    OS (tm) MSFC2 Software (C6MSFC2-PSV-M), Version 12.1(11b)E, EARLY
    DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    cisco Cat6k-MSFC2 (R7000) processor with 114688K/16384K bytes of memory.
    R7000 CPU at 300Mhz, Implementation 39, Rev 3.3, 256KB L2, 1024KB L3 Cache
    Last reset from power-on
    X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
    Bridging software.
    9 Virtual Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

    32768K bytes of Flash internal SIMM (Sector size 512K).
    Configuration register is 0x102

    .... where the short time to live is caused by our attempts to reset each
    one of the two HSRP participants, in blind attempts to clear up the
    following problem:

    Since yesterday, all VLANs, except for VLAN1, started experiencing HUGE
    TCP retransmissions problems at all connected stations. Various dump files
    sent to Cisco, to no avail (no response from Cisco, as to what the
    problems could be).

    No cabling (physical) work, no VLANs added, no modifications having
    been made to the environment since when it used to work just fine, and
    now, when - because of retransmissions - the whole network (as "seen" from
    client workstations) is crawling to almost a halt.

    If some of the inter-vlan routing is moved (experimentally) to a 3750, the
    retransmissions for those parts/VLANs go away, and the clients experience
    the "old, good" network performance. But this is - obviously - not a
    permanent solution. This only comes to prove that cabling could not be a
    problem, as it becomes the same physical infrastructure under the 3750
    "control"

    Forcing the inter-VLAN routing from the active, to the passive 6506, and
    back, does not improve anything, under either of the conditions.

    The log files show absolutely nothing significant.

    Production is heavily affected - any suggestions would be appreciated. Any
    other info you may think of being needed?!?

    TIA,
    Papi

    papi, Apr 30, 2005

  2. papi

    Dan Daniels Guest

    "papi" <> wrote in message
    > Existing setup: redundant (HSRP) 6506 setup (running for more than a year
    > like this), with:
    > OS (tm) MSFC2 Software (C6MSFC2-PSV-M), Version 12.1(11b)E, EARLY
    > DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

    That's probably your problem. If at all possible, try to avoid using EARLY
    DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE. We had tons of problems with it on the
    MSFC2's. I'm surprised Cisco hasn't told you to upgrade to a more stable
    version of IOS.

    Dan Daniels, Apr 30, 2005

  3. papi

    papi Guest

    On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 04:01:04 +0000, Dan Daniels wrote:

    > "papi" <> wrote in message
    >> Existing setup: redundant (HSRP) 6506 setup (running for more than a year
    >> like this), with:
    >> OS (tm) MSFC2 Software (C6MSFC2-PSV-M), Version 12.1(11b)E, EARLY
    >> DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

    > That's probably your problem. If at all possible, try to avoid using EARLY
    > DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE. We had tons of problems with it on the
    > MSFC2's. I'm surprised Cisco hasn't told you to upgrade to a more stable
    > version of IOS.

    >> cisco Cat6k-MSFC2 (R7000) processor with 114688K/16384K bytes of memory.
    >> R7000 CPU at 300Mhz, Implementation 39, Rev 3.3, 256KB L2, 1024KB L3 Cache
    >> Last reset from power-on
    >> X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
    >> Bridging software.
    >> 9 Virtual Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    >> 509K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
    >>
    >> 32768K bytes of Flash internal SIMM (Sector size 512K).
    >> Configuration register is 0x102
    >>
    >> ... where the short time to live is caused by our attempts to reset each
    >> one of the two HSRP participants, in blind attempts to clear up the
    >> following problem:
    >>
    >> Since yesterday, all VLANs, except for VLAN1, started experiencing HUGE
    >> TCP retransmissions problems at all connected stations. Various dump files
    >> sent to Cisco, to no avail (no response from Cisco, as to what the
    >> problems could be).
    >>
    >> No cabling (physical) work, no VLANs added, no modifications having
    >> been made to the environment since when it used to work just fine, and
    >> now, when - because of retransmissions - the whole network (as "seen" from
    >> client workstations) is crawling to almost a halt.
    >>
    >> If some of the inter-vlan routing is moved (experimentally) to a 3750, the
    >> retransmissions for those parts/VLANs go away, and the clients experience
    >> the "old, good" network performance. But this is - obviously - not a
    >> permanent solution. This only comes to prove that cabling could not be a
    >> problem, as it becomes the same physical infrastructure under the 3750
    >> "control"
    >>
    >> Forcing the inter-VLAN routing from the active, to the passive 6506, and
    >> back, does not improve anything, under either of the conditions.
    >>
    >> The log files show absolutely nothing significant.
    >>
    >> Production is heavily affected - any suggestions would be appreciated. Any
    >> other info you may think of being needed?!?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> Papi

    Thanks for anwering. Cisco has looked over and over whatever docs they
    have, about the version of code, and such, and have not said a word about
    it, though we have upgraded in the past, based on their recommendation,
    when we had other problems (e.g. we ended up with this version of code
    when - last time - we had a huge problem with HSRP). I agree
    with you, but I would have expected them to come back with recomendation
    of some sort, in this regard, especially as we have exhausted absolutely
    all other avenues. At 1:30AM this morning, we were still without a
    resolution ...

    NOTE: sorry for the long thread, but I left the whole content above, in
    the hope that someone may have stumbled across a similar issue.

    Papi

    papi, Apr 30, 2005