Help! How to use telephoto lens with Sony F717?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Satish K, Jul 19, 2003.

  1. Satish K

    Satish K Guest

    I recently bought VCL-HGD1758. I am puzzled on what's the correct way to use
    it? I was looking for step-by-step guide but couldn't find anywhere. Here is
    what I am doing:

    - Attach this 1758 lens to Carl-Zeiss lens
    - In setup menu, under Camera 1, set the Digital Zoom to ON
    - In setup menu, under Camera 1, set the Conversion Lens to ON
    - On left side of the camera body, set the switch for Focus to Auto

    Now on the LCD, I see something really weird! I see the telephoto lens's
    circular periphary! Also thw zoom button doesn't work at all.

    What am I doing wrong? Although under setup, when I set the Conversion Lens
    to OFF, I see correct display through the LCD and zoom button works fine.
    If someone has experience using this telephoto lens, please let me know a
    "step-by-step" procedure so that I am ready to shoot some long distance
    objects with this hulk.

    Thank you so much,

    - Satish

    Satish K, Jul 19, 2003

  2. On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 03:23:25 GMT, "Satish K" <>
    wrote:

    >- Attach this 1758 lens to Carl-Zeiss lens
    >- In setup menu, under Camera 1, set the Digital Zoom to ON
    >- In setup menu, under Camera 1, set the Conversion Lens to ON
    >- On left side of the camera body, set the switch for Focus to Auto
    >
    >Now on the LCD, I see something really weird! I see the telephoto lens's
    >circular periphary! Also thw zoom button doesn't work at all.

    First off, set "Conversion Lens" to off. That setting's for use with
    a specific lens, and it isn't a telephoto. The zoom control doesn't
    work with that setting turned on.

    Second... With the Zoom at the minimum position, even with the
    telephoto adapter, you're only at about half the total magnification
    of the lens without the adapter. To take full advantage of a
    teleconverter, you need to zoom in. Way in.

    That circle you're seeing is caused by vignetting. At minimum zoom,
    your field of view is wide enough that the teleconverter gets in the
    way and cuts out parts of the picture. So again, zoom in.

    Lastly, turn off digital zoom. With the lens on the F717, plus a
    t-com, you really don't need it.

    Paul Fedorenko, Jul 19, 2003

  3. You should not use the "Conversion Lens" option at all, that's designed
    to enable a particular wide-angle lens.

    A telextender is used to extend the maximum zoom, no to use throughout
    the zoom range. At wide angle settings, you'll see the edges of the
    zoom lens itself in the picure, it's not designed to be used at those
    settings.

    Basically, fit the telextender and zoom out to maximum telephoto.
    That's when you use it. Using the telextender is designed to extend the
    maximum telephoto of the lens optically ... Normally, you want to avoid
    using digital zoom (but it can help in a pinch to give you just another
    increment of reach).

    So ... Turn off the Conversion Lens option, turn off Digital Zoom, fit
    the telextender, and zoom out to maximum. Then you're ready to shoot.
    Remember: you'll get your best pictures in this configuration with the
    camera mounted on a tripod. Try to keep your shutter speed at 1/300
    second or higher if you're hand-holding the camera.

    Godfrey

    Godfrey DiGiorgi, Jul 19, 2003
  4. Satish K

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    How many of these fake posts are you going to make? To those who wonder
    why there are suddenly two Tony Spadaros posting the smart one and his
    apparently brain dead twin - just look at the headers and you will see that
    one is a sniveling little coward afraid to use his real name. Just as he
    always posts his auction spam under a fake name.
    My suggestion is whenever he posts another auction, someone should
    register a fake name on ebay, and bid up his item until it is out of
    everyone else's range (say 500 dollars for a close up ring) then refuse to
    pay, claiming there was a lie in the original ad and leave negative feedback
    on his record. Eventually he might either get the idea or stop selling crap
    on ebay
    Just a suggestion. Some of you people with a lot of time on your hands
    might have some fun with it.
    I'm going to the beach - so any postes you see here from me in the next
    week or so are fakes. Just killfile him, and eventually he will fade away.
    FLUSSSSSH!

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Jul 19, 2003
  5. Satish K

    Guest

    In message <190720030700029970%>,
    Godfrey DiGiorgi <> wrote:

    >Normally, you want to avoid
    >using digital zoom (but it can help in a pinch to give you just another
    >increment of reach).

    What do you mean by "reach"? "Reach" is exactly what digital zoom can't
    do. It zooms into the captured data, not into the scene.
    --

    John P Sheehy <>

    , Jul 21, 2003
  6. Purely a manner of speaking, John. Digital zoom adds some flexibility
    to the use of a 1.7x telextender, even if it does not increase the
    resolution.

    Godfrey

    Godfrey DiGiorgi, Jul 21, 2003