    wireless connection items to the same wireless card. Could it be possible?
    -----------------------------
    AN

    an, Jan 12, 2009

  2. an

    Big_Al Guest

    Re: Help:How to make two or more wireless connection items in NetworkConnections?

    an said this on 1/12/2009 9:56 AM:
    > Hello!
    > I begin to use wireless connection for my laptop computer recently.
    > But there is something borthers me that I must change the IP freqently
    > between home IP address and office IP address.So I hope to make two
    > wireless connection items to the same wireless card. Could it be possible?
    > -----------------------------
    > AN

    You don't have to.
    Setup you home for instance. It will be remembered in XP that you have
    an appropriate security password to your home network router.
    Then go to the office and 'view available networks' and you will pick
    and setup that one. It too will be remembered.

    The laptop will now search and find one of the two that are available
    and connect. I move around from home to home, a total of 5, and each
    one just connects when available.
    If you right click on the wireless connection and click the 'wireless
    networks' tab you will see the different routers you are able to
    connected to. You can modify them (change passwords here if they ever
    change) and order them for priority, but thats seems only necessary if
    you had multiple routers in range. And you don't here.

    Big_Al, Jan 12, 2009

  3. an

    Pavel A. Guest

    an wrote:
    > Hello!
    > I begin to use wireless connection for my laptop computer recently.
    > But there is something borthers me that I must change the IP freqently
    > between home IP address and office IP address.So I hope to make two
    > wireless connection items to the same wireless card. Could it be possible?

    If this is a company laptop, the usual advice is
    to ask your IT person at work, how you connect at home.
    Otherwise you can be very sorry.

    Regards,
    -- pa

    Pavel A., Jan 12, 2009
  4. an

    smlunatick Guest

    On Jan 12, 2:56 pm, "an" <> wrote:
    > Hello!
    >   I begin to use wireless connection for my laptop computer recently.
    > But there is something borthers me that I must change the IP freqently
    > between home IP address and office IP address.So I hope to make two
    > wireless connection items to the same wireless card. Could it be possible?
    > -----------------------------
    > AN

    Most wireless adapters use a configuration management system, either
    the manufacturer's version or Wireless Zero Configuration by
    Microsoft.) These record the wireless network name (aka SSID) details
    and access into Windows. Then, when your wireless network adapter
    detects a corresponding network, it then locates the "saved" info in
    the record and then reconnects to the network. If the network is not
    in the list of "saved" network, it will request the network access
    details (aka passphrase.)

    smlunatick, Jan 12, 2009
  5. Hi
    There are few easy ways for doing it.
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#fewtcp-ip
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 13, 2009
  6. an

    an Guest

    My home device is a wireless router,while Office one is a wireless hub.

    an, Jan 13, 2009
  7. an

    an said this on 1/13/2009 2:43 AM:
    > My home device is a wireless router,while Office one is a wireless hub.

    No matter, you connect to the wireless network somehow, just do it and
    it will remember it as a configuration to use if it ever sees it again.

    I've never heard of wireless hub. Maybe wireless access point.

    Big_Al, Jan 13, 2009
  8. an

    an Guest

    I use a wireless router as a wireless hub.

    an, Jan 14, 2009
  9. an

    an said this on 1/14/2009 3:13 AM:
    > I use a wireless router as a wireless hub.

    Why do you harp on this. You still have to connect to it somehow.
    Connect and let XP remember.

    If its wireless, it normally has an SSID and password and encryption
    type. Do and let xp remember.

    Big_Al, Jan 14, 2009
  10. an

    an Guest

    I don't think the XP will remember the IP setting.

    an, Jan 14, 2009
  11. an

    an said this on 1/14/2009 3:57 AM:
    > I don't think the XP will remember the IP setting.

    Wow, this is complicated.

    When you connect to a wireless device, and *IF* you have your wireless
    TCP/IP set to automatic DHCP (as most are) then your wireless connection
    will assign your PC the IP settings it needs for that wireless device.
    YOU DON"T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING. This is the nice thing about DHCP.
    The router will set tell your PC what to do.

    If you have a situation that forces you to hand enter IP addresses well
    then you're screwed. Some businesses I've heard do that, but its a
    realllllly stupid concept. Especially if you have laptops coming and
    going.

    I connect at my office and get an IP in the right range for there. I
    come home and get another, I go to friends, and another, and a hotel and
    another. ITS DHCP. The router is doing it.

    Please just try it then complain if you have an issue. It just might
    work and you're worried about nothing. Its non destructive and you're
    not installing anything.

    Big_Al, Jan 14, 2009
  12. an

    an Guest

    Thanks!
    Unfortunately,I was assigned a fix IP address, and also fix MAC address.
    So it is very inconvenience. Stupid as you said.

    an, Jan 15, 2009
  13. an

    an said this on 1/15/2009 8:54 AM:
    > Thanks!
    > Unfortunately,I was assigned a fix IP address, and also fix MAC address.
    > So it is very inconvenience. Stupid as you said.

    That's really weird in these days. Most routers can be fixed to assign
    fixed IP addresses based on your MAC address. We did it all the time
    at the office till we fixed other reasons for the practice. We needed
    to fix IPs for RDP port forwarding.

    I never have figured out why anyone would want to fake a MAC address.
    They are so unimportant and always unique thus not an issue.

    Sorry, Unless some bystander reads all this and has some good input, I
    think you got as much as you can get. Maybe there is a utility that
    can be found that will change preferences some how. I know one of the
    people in our office had a laptop and she was told to make two logins
    with different profiles, one office and one "not office". Thus she
    could get different configs per login. And it worked in her situation.
    The office included a VPN to a data server at another site etc.
    It wouldn't take much to add another user and see if the practice of
    hard coding the IP / MAC at the office stays in one profile and your get
    the DHCP ability with your home router on another.

    Big_Al, Jan 15, 2009