    Can anyone advise me what to clean these screens with. As you would
    expect, the monitor handbooks offers no assistance.

    Thanks

    Greg, May 18, 2004

  2. Greg

    a Guest

    In article <>, xyl56
    @hotmail.com says...
    > Our office cleaner has wiped down a couple of our LCD screens, they
    > are the sort of soft screens, which if touched, look like you are
    > dipping your finger in a pool of water.
    >
    > I don't think she has harmed the screens, but when they are switched
    > off they show a wave of smears across them. I've looked in Dick
    > Smiths and a couple of other stores for a cleaner for these types of
    > LCD screens to no avail.
    >
    > Can anyone advise me what to clean these screens with. As you would
    > expect, the monitor handbooks offers no assistance.
    >
    > Thanks

    I've just used those isopropyl wipes you can get
    (just damp not soaking with liquid). Yeah, the LCD manuals will say
    "only use a damp lint free cloth or paper" but they don't seem to have
    done anything bad.

    I guess it could screw up the anti-reflective coatings they have on them
    (but I haven't noticed it and I can spot dead pixels at 2 metres). The
    most important thing is to apply next to no presure when cleaning,
    something I doubt that a cleaning person would do ;-)

    Do not let people drip their finger in the pool!

    a, May 18, 2004

  3. On Tue, 18 May 2004 19:31:41 +1200, Greg <> wrote:

    >Our office cleaner has wiped down a couple of our LCD screens, they
    >are the sort of soft screens, which if touched, look like you are
    >dipping your finger in a pool of water.
    >
    >I don't think she has harmed the screens, but when they are switched
    >off they show a wave of smears across them. I've looked in Dick
    >Smiths and a couple of other stores for a cleaner for these types of
    >LCD screens to no avail.
    >
    >Can anyone advise me what to clean these screens with. As you would
    >expect, the monitor handbooks offers no assistance.
    >
    >Thanks

    Yes some of the clean wipes contain Isopropyl, and from what I read it can
    damage some plastics, so far all I have use is a soft cloth and water as I am
    consented as you..

    The other stuff I can think off is the spray lens cleaner thing called Liquid
    Fusion..

    Camera Lens

    Photo & Video Anti-Reflecting coating..

    I have not tried it, but its a thought..

    Or some Lens cleaning solution and some good Kleenex 3-Ply Plain tissues..

    From searches on the Web seem to contradict each other..

    The GHOST of WOGER., May 18, 2004
  4. On Tue, 18 May 2004 20:20:55 +1200, a <> wrote:

    >In article <>, xyl56
    >@hotmail.com says...
    >> Our office cleaner has wiped down a couple of our LCD screens, they
    >> are the sort of soft screens, which if touched, look like you are
    >> dipping your finger in a pool of water.
    >>
    >> I don't think she has harmed the screens, but when they are switched
    >> off they show a wave of smears across them. I've looked in Dick
    >> Smiths and a couple of other stores for a cleaner for these types of
    >> LCD screens to no avail.
    >>
    >> Can anyone advise me what to clean these screens with. As you would
    >> expect, the monitor handbooks offers no assistance.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >I've just used those isopropyl wipes you can get
    >(just damp not soaking with liquid).

    Read on the Web, its a BIG NO as it can damage plasic, it get hard..

    The GHOST of WOGER., May 18, 2004
  5. Greg

    a Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Tue, 18 May 2004 20:20:55 +1200, a <> wrote:
    >
    >snip
    > >>

    > >I've just used those isopropyl wipes you can get
    > >(just damp not soaking with liquid).

    > Read on the Web, its a BIG NO as it can damage plasic, it get hard..

    snip

    And what exactly is your source on the web?

    a, May 19, 2004
  6. On Wed, 19 May 2004 20:32:39 +1200, a <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> On Tue, 18 May 2004 20:20:55 +1200, a <> wrote:
    >>
    >>snip
    >> >>
    >> >I've just used those isopropyl wipes you can get
    >> >(just damp not soaking with liquid).

    >> Read on the Web, its a BIG NO as it can damage plasic, it get hard..
    >>

    >snip
    >
    >And what exactly is your source on the web?

    And your point is..?

    The GHOST of WOGER., May 19, 2004
  7. Greg

    John Potter Guest

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 19:31:41 +1200, Greg <> wrote:

    >Our office cleaner has wiped down a couple of our LCD screens, they
    >are the sort of soft screens, which if touched, look like you are
    >dipping your finger in a pool of water.
    >
    >I don't think she has harmed the screens, but when they are switched
    >off they show a wave of smears across them. I've looked in Dick
    >Smiths and a couple of other stores for a cleaner for these types of
    >LCD screens to no avail.
    >
    >Can anyone advise me what to clean these screens with. As you would
    >expect, the monitor handbooks offers no assistance.

    You can get hi-tech cloths from opticians for cleaning glasses which
    have no solvent. The fibers are microfine and for glasses these clean
    like nothing else. The blurb says will not damage plastic coatings.
    I liked the one I got from Harrison and Graham, tried another brand
    didn't work quite so well.

    John

    John Potter, May 22, 2004
  8. In article <>, a <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> On Tue, 18 May 2004 20:20:55 +1200, a <> wrote:
    >>
    >>snip
    >> >>
    >> >I've just used those isopropyl wipes you can get
    >> >(just damp not soaking with liquid).

    >> Read on the Web, its a BIG NO as it can damage plasic, it get hard..

    >And what exactly is your source on the web?

    A Google search turned up various cleaning tips
    <http://www.logwell.com/tech/servtips/cleaning.html> including:

    ]Both denatured ethanol and isopropyl alcohol are generally safe on
    ]plastics, but ethanol will mildly attack a few plastics.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, May 25, 2004