    Can anyone advise me what to clean these screens with. As you would
    expect, the monitor handbooks offers no assistance.

    Thanks

    Greg, May 18, 2004

  2. Greg wrote:
    > Our office cleaner has wiped down a couple of our LCD screens, they
    > are the sort of soft screens, which if touched, look like you are
    > dipping your finger in a pool of water.
    >
    > I don't think she has harmed the screens, but when they are switched
    > off they show a wave of smears across them. I've looked in a couple
    > of PC stores for a cleaner for these types of LCD screens to no avail.
    >
    > Can anyone advise me what to clean these screens with. As you would
    > expect, the monitor handbooks offers no assistance.
    >
    > Thanks

    I use a super soft cloth made for cleaning CD's, although I imagine that
    a similar product for eyeglasses would work. A **minor** amount of
    moisture or Windex may be needed but don't let it run down the screen
    and seep into the edge of the screen, could be the end of the monitor.
    And don't use those crappy "paper" glass cleaners.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 18, 2004

  3. Greg

    Slime Guest

    NEVER use Windex or any other chemical on an LCD screen!!!!!

    The best thing to use is ordinary home toilet paper.

    --
    Marc Bishop

    Slime, May 18, 2004
  4. Greg

    Rifleman Guest

    "Slime" <> wrote in message
    > NEVER use Windex or any other chemical on an LCD screen!!!!!
    >
    > The best thing to use is ordinary home toilet paper.
    >
    > --

    Is that before or after use?

    Rifleman, May 18, 2004
  5. Greg

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 19:33:15 +1200, Greg wrote:

    >Our office cleaner has wiped down a couple of our LCD screens, they
    >are the sort of soft screens, which if touched, look like you are
    >dipping your finger in a pool of water.

    I have a label on my monitors at work, ' Do not clean these screens'

    >I don't think she has harmed the screens, but when they are switched
    >off they show a wave of smears across them. I've looked in a couple
    >of PC stores for a cleaner for these types of LCD screens to no avail.

    Just watch out for the usual idiot salesman that offers any cleaner.

    >Can anyone advise me what to clean these screens with. As you would
    >expect, the monitor handbooks offers no assistance.

    Very soft cloth, water only barely damp. I use these Servisol Engineers
    Wipes

    http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/largeimages/36172i0.jpg
    Details, www.maplin.co.uk search for part number N93BA

    Just checked on the Samsung site
    http://www.samsung.com/support/prod...sec&RSSI=/module/SSI/right/RMenu_Monitor.sec#
    or shorter http://makeashorterlink.com/?X1D325558

    It's not much to go on.......

    When cleaning the monitor case or the surface of the TFT-LCD, wipe with
    a slightly moistened, soft fabric.
    Do not spray detergent directly on the monitor.
    Use the recommended detergent with a smooth cloth.

    Me

    why?, May 18, 2004
  6. Greg

    °Mike° Guest

    A damp, soft lint-free cloth (do NOT use solvents!), or a dry,
    soft lint-free cloth with Isopropyl Alcohol. Clean with straight
    strokes, in one direction only.

    Under NO circumstances use any of the following, or substances
    based on them:

    Acetone
    Ammonia
    Ethyl Acid
    Ethyl Alcohol
    Methyl Chloride

    Do NOT use paper towels/toilet paper - they are abrasive.
    Only use "Computer Wipes" if they are specifically for LCD.

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 19:33:15 +1200, in
    <>
    Greg scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, May 18, 2004
  7. Greg

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    °Mike° <> wrote in news:40aa4ab6.618515
    @localhost.dot.net:

    > A damp, soft lint-free cloth (do NOT use solvents!), or a dry,
    > soft lint-free cloth with Isopropyl Alcohol. Clean with straight
    > strokes, in one direction only.
    >
    > Under NO circumstances use any of the following, or substances
    > based on them:
    >
    > Acetone
    > Ammonia
    > Ethyl Acid
    > Ethyl Alcohol
    > Methyl Chloride
    >
    > Do NOT use paper towels/toilet paper - they are abrasive.
    > Only use "Computer Wipes" if they are specifically for LCD.
    >

    > On Tue, 18 May 2004 19:33:15 +1200, in
    > <>
    > Greg scrawled:
    >
    >>Our office cleaner has wiped down a couple of our LCD screens, they
    >>are the sort of soft screens, which if touched, look like you are
    >>dipping your finger in a pool of water.
    >>
    >>I don't think she has harmed the screens, but when they are switched
    >>off they show a wave of smears across them. I've looked in a couple
    >>of PC stores for a cleaner for these types of LCD screens to no avail.
    >>
    >>Can anyone advise me what to clean these screens with. As you would
    >>expect, the monitor handbooks offers no assistance.
    >>
    >>Thanks

    Get a 3M Scotchbrite cleaning cloth also labelled as a Notebook Computer
    Cleaning cloth. These things border on magic.

    Fuzzy Logic, May 18, 2004
  8. Greg

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 18:28:16 GMT, in
    <Xns94ED7EE89307Bbobarcabca@198.161.157.145>
    Fuzzy Logic scrawled:

    >°Mike° <> wrote in news:40aa4ab6.618515
    >@localhost.dot.net:
    >
    >> A damp, soft lint-free cloth (do NOT use solvents!), or a dry,
    >> soft lint-free cloth with Isopropyl Alcohol. Clean with straight
    >> strokes, in one direction only.
    >>
    >> Under NO circumstances use any of the following, or substances
    >> based on them:
    >>
    >> Acetone
    >> Ammonia
    >> Ethyl Acid
    >> Ethyl Alcohol
    >> Methyl Chloride
    >>
    >> Do NOT use paper towels/toilet paper - they are abrasive.
    >> Only use "Computer Wipes" if they are specifically for LCD.

    <snip>

    >Get a 3M Scotchbrite cleaning cloth also labelled as a Notebook Computer
    >Cleaning cloth. These things border on magic.

    Why are you telling me this?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, May 18, 2004
  9. Greg

    John Guest

    In article <>, Greg
    <> wrote:

    > Our office cleaner has wiped down a couple of our LCD screens, they
    > are the sort of soft screens, which if touched, look like you are
    > dipping your finger in a pool of water.
    >
    > I don't think she has harmed the screens, but when they are switched
    > off they show a wave of smears across them. I've looked in a couple
    > of PC stores for a cleaner for these types of LCD screens to no avail.
    >
    > Can anyone advise me what to clean these screens with. As you would
    > expect, the monitor handbooks offers no assistance.

    How about a slightly damp cloth?

    You may be tempted to find specialized cleaners for these things -- but
    why not do the simple thing first?

    It should not be so wet that extra dampness can drip down the edges.
    No matter what you use, you shouldn't be pressing on the surface.

    John, May 18, 2004
  10. Greg

    Cpt.Nemo Guest

    Re: How to clean "soft" LCD screens?

    Look on ebay for "microfiber" towels, excellent, good for eyeglasses too.

    Cpt.Nemo, May 19, 2004
  11. Slime wrote:
    > NEVER use Windex or any other chemical on an LCD screen!!!!!
    >
    > The best thing to use is ordinary home toilet paper.

    Try this for an experiment, take a beautiful AOL CD with an absolutely
    flawless surface and try wiping it with toilet paper. You _will_ see
    minor scratches and abrasions if you use any force whatsoever. Try one
    of the extremely soft cloths as I mentioned and you'll see the
    difference. There isn't a paper product made that I'd consider using. As
    for the Windex, (I prefer water) I wouldn't use more than just a slight
    spritz onto the cloth, not enough to affect the soft cover on the LCD
    but enough to wipe away smears.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 19, 2004
  12. Greg

    jinglebts

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    I got a great product called "CleanSafe" for LCD, TFI, Plasma, and Touchscreens. It's a spray, comes with its own cloth, and best of all, it works. I'd had a few waterdrops on my LCD screen that refused to come off for months. I found this spray, thought "what's to lose?", and it really works. One of the very few products that does what it says it will do. (Crazyglue works too. I stuck my index finger to my thumb once.:barresed: )

    Unfortunately, I have no idea where I got it. I wasn't looking for such a thing, so it may have been someplace as simple as one of those big grocery stores or Costco or something like that. The bottle is dark green aluminum with silver trim, it's about 4 inches tall by [narrow], and as I say, it comes with its own cloth. Works like a charm.:veryprou:

    Now if someone could tell me how to clean my touchpad (it's grimy with skin oil), I'd be all set!

    jb

    jinglebts, Feb 15, 2008