    who is telling the truth!?
    will the olympus 350 zoom( £180 in currys) do the job?

    any advice much appreciated, many thanks

    andy, Dec 28, 2003

  2. andy

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "andy" <> writes:
    > I have received olympus D390 digi cam for xmas, 2 million pixels,
    > I am new to digital photography but i would like to be able to eventually
    > print pictures up to A4 size, would this camera allow me to do this or do i
    > need more pixels?

    You can print as big as you want, but at A4 size you may notice a
    little softness in the picture if you look closely at it. From a
    distance it will look fine.

    > Jessops have told me i need a 3 million pixel cam, currys suggest 4
    > million, who is telling the truth!? will the olympus 350 zoom( £180
    > in currys) do the job?

    I don't think it will make much difference. Salespeople love to have
    a single number like megapixels that they can point to as a measure of
    the camera's quality, but in reality it's much more complicated than
    that. If you like the camera in other regards, it's not worth
    upgrading simply to get more pixels.

    Most camera shops will make prints for you from digital files, too.
    Why don't you just take a picture and get an A4 print made and see if
    it satisfies you? If after looking at the print you think you want
    more pixels, make sure to get another print made with the 3 MP (or
    whatever) camera and look closely to decide if you really think it's
    better. You may see less difference than you expect.

    Paul Rubin, Dec 28, 2003

  3. andy

    andy Guest

    "Paul Rubin" <http://> wrote in message
    > "

    so do i just take the memory card into the camera shop then?

    andy, Dec 28, 2003
  4. andy

    Jud McCranie Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 17:47:13 -0000, "andy"
    <> wrote:

    >I have received olympus D390 digi cam for xmas, 2 million pixels,
    >I am new to digital photography but i would like to be able to eventually
    >print pictures up to A4 size, would this camera allow me to do this or do i
    >need more pixels?
    >Jessops have told me i need a 3 million pixel cam, currys suggest 4 million,
    >who is telling the truth!?

    I'm not sure, but to give you a quick answer I think you need more
    then 2 megapixels to enlarge to that size.

    -------------------------------------
    Replace you know what by "j" to email.

    Jud McCranie, Dec 28, 2003
  5. andy

    Matti Vuori Guest

    "andy" <> wrote in

    > I have received olympus D390 digi cam for xmas, 2 million pixels,
    > I am new to digital photography but i would like to be able to
    > eventually print pictures up to A4 size, would this camera allow me to
    > do this or do i need more pixels?
    > Jessops have told me i need a 3 million pixel cam, currys suggest 4
    > million, who is telling the truth!?

    It depends on the amount of detail in the images and your quality goals,
    but if you plan on doing this regularly, a 4 Mpix model is most likely the
    _minimum_ level.

    That kind of size for prints shows that you may have some ambitions for the
    photographs, so you probably should get a more capable camera with full
    manual adjustments, not a happy snapshot like the C-350 that you suggested.

    Now that we seem to be talking about Olympus, their "creative" line shows
    some examples of suitable models:
    http://cf.olympus-europa.com/consumer/digimg/series.cfm?id=CREATIVE

    --
    Matti Vuori, <http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm>

    Matti Vuori, Dec 28, 2003
  6. andy

    Harvey Guest

    http://digigraphica.com/oped/03/resolution.shtml

    Harvey, Dec 28, 2003
  7. andy

    andy Guest

    "Matti Vuori" <> wrote in message
    > "andy" <> wrote in
    >
    > > I have received olympus D390 digi cam for xmas, 2 million pixels,
    > > I am new to digital photography but i would like to be able to
    > > eventually print pictures up to A4 size, would this camera allow me to
    > > do this or do i need more pixels?
    > > Jessops have told me i need a 3 million pixel cam, currys suggest 4
    > > million, who is telling the truth!?

    > It depends on the amount of detail in the images and your quality goals,
    > but if you plan on doing this regularly, a 4 Mpix model is most likely the
    > _minimum_ level.
    >
    > That kind of size for prints shows that you may have some ambitions for

    the
    > photographs, so you probably should get a more capable camera with full
    > manual adjustments, not a happy snapshot like the C-350 that you

    suggested.

    > Now that we seem to be talking about Olympus, their "creative" line shows
    > some examples of suitable models:

    i am on a budget though, so if i bought the c350 what size of prints could i
    realistically produce without losing any sharpness?

    andy, Dec 28, 2003
  8. andy

    Ron Hunter Guest

    andy wrote:
    > I have received olympus D390 digi cam for xmas, 2 million pixels,
    > I am new to digital photography but i would like to be able to eventually
    > print pictures up to A4 size, would this camera allow me to do this or do i
    > need more pixels?
    > Jessops have told me i need a 3 million pixel cam, currys suggest 4 million,
    > who is telling the truth!?
    > will the olympus 350 zoom( £180 in currys) do the job?
    >
    > any advice much appreciated, many thanks

    It depends on just how good you want the output to look. Most consider
    300 dots/inch the 'sweet spot' for printing pictures. In order to print
    A4 at 300 dots/inch you will need about a 6 mp camera. If you aren't
    quite as picky, you can get good A4 pictures from a 3 mp camera, but you
    WILL be able to see the difference if someone puts a picture from a 6 mp
    camera beside it.

    Max good quality pictures from 2 mp are about 5 x 7 inches.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 28, 2003
  9. andy

    Tim Bird Guest

    i used to print 2MP pics full A4, not pin sharp, but not bad quality,
    still have them gracing my walls now, good quality paper and ink are nearly
    as important as number of pixels, with premium photo paper and using the top
    quality printing mode of my printer (HP 920) i can acheave a pretty good
    result from 2MP, but i must say.... 3 is LOADS better

    HTH

    Tim
    --
    From the Keyboard of Tim Bird
    www.timbird.net

    Gravity is not just a good idea........ ITS THE LAW!!!
    How can i soar like an Eagle.... When I am surrounded by Turkeys!!!!

    Tim Bird, Dec 28, 2003
  10. andy

    Ralph Mowery Guest

    > I have received olympus D390 digi cam for xmas, 2 million pixels,
    > I am new to digital photography but i would like to be able to eventually
    > print pictures up to A4 size, would this camera allow me to do this or do

    > need more pixels?

    What is A4 in inches or cm ? At work we have a plotter that will go to
    sizes like that but I don't have the numbers right off.
    A 2 mp is very good up to a 5x7 and maybe ok for an 8x10.

    Ralph Mowery, Dec 28, 2003
  11. andy

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Ron Hunter <> writes:
    > It depends on just how good you want the output to look. Most
    > consider 300 dots/inch the 'sweet spot' for printing pictures.

    Try 200 dpi.

    Paul Rubin, Dec 28, 2003
  12. andy

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Ron Hunter <> writes:
    > It depends on just how good you want the output to look. Most
    > consider 300 dots/inch the 'sweet spot' for printing pictures. In
    > order to print A4 at 300 dots/inch you will need about a 6 mp camera.
    > If you aren't quite as picky, you can get good A4 pictures from a 3 mp
    > camera, but you WILL be able to see the difference if someone puts a
    > picture from a 6 mp camera beside it.
    >
    > Max good quality pictures from 2 mp are about 5 x 7 inches.

    An awful lot of professional photographers were making 11x14 and
    larger prints every day of the week with the 2.7 mp Nikon D1.

    Paul Rubin, Dec 28, 2003
  13. andy

    Liz Guest

    In message <>
    Ron Hunter <> wrote:

    > andy wrote:
    > > I have received olympus D390 digi cam for xmas, 2 million pixels,
    > > I am new to digital photography but i would like to be able to eventually
    > > print pictures up to A4 size, would this camera allow me to do this or do i
    > > need more pixels?
    > > Jessops have told me i need a 3 million pixel cam, currys suggest 4 million,
    > > who is telling the truth!?
    > > will the olympus 350 zoom( £180 in currys) do the job?
    > >
    > > any advice much appreciated, many thanks
    > >

    > It depends on just how good you want the output to look. Most consider
    > 300 dots/inch the 'sweet spot' for printing pictures.

    That's for commercial printing.
    I thought perhaps the OP was asking about inkjet, in which case 180*p*pi does
    very well (printing out at 720*d*pi).

    However, I agree that a 2mp camera will probably only give top results up to
    about A5.

    Liz
    --
    Virtual Liz at http://www.v-liz.co.uk
    Kenya; Tanzania; India; Seychelles

    Liz, Dec 28, 2003
  14. andy

    Tim Hobbs Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 15:28:15 -0500, "Ralph Mowery" <>
    wrote:

    >> I have received olympus D390 digi cam for xmas, 2 million pixels,
    >> I am new to digital photography but i would like to be able to eventually
    >> print pictures up to A4 size, would this camera allow me to do this or do

    >> need more pixels?

    >What is A4 in inches or cm ? At work we have a plotter that will go to
    >sizes like that but I don't have the numbers right off.
    >A 2 mp is very good up to a 5x7 and maybe ok for an 8x10.

    297mm x 210mm.

    --
    Tim Hobbs

    Barcoding? http://www.bartec-systems.com
    Land Rovers? http://www.seriesii.co.uk

    Tim Hobbs, Dec 28, 2003
  15. "Ralph Mowery" <> wrote in message
    > > I have received olympus D390 digi cam for xmas, 2 million pixels,
    > > I am new to digital photography but i would like to be able to

    eventually
    > > print pictures up to A4 size, would this camera allow me to do this or

    do
    > > need more pixels?

    > What is A4 in inches or cm ? At work we have a plotter that will go to
    > sizes like that but I don't have the numbers right off.
    > A 2 mp is very good up to a 5x7 and maybe ok for an 8x10.

    A-4 is 21 x 29 cm or about 8 1/4 x 11 1/4 inches

    Journalist

    Journalist-North, Dec 28, 2003
  16. On Sunday 28 December 2003 09:47, andy wrote:

    > I have received olympus D390 digi cam for xmas, 2 million pixels,
    > I am new to digital photography but i would like to be able to
    > eventually print pictures up to A4 size, would this camera allow me to
    > do this or do i need more pixels?

    I have a 2.1 megapixel Canon Powershot S10. Amazingly, it turns out
    surprisingly decent, unmanipulated 8x10 prints right out of the camera,
    either via an inkjet printer (Epson Stylus Photo 825) or my local
    photofinisher; although I rarely make prints bigger than 5x7 with it.
    The camera is for snapshots. For "serious" work, I have other cameras
    that are more suitable depending on the requirements of the task.

    So, before you buy another camera and possibly waste your money, why
    don't you make a few test prints with the 390 to see if the A4 print
    quality is good enough for you?

    --
    Stefan Patric
    NoLife Polymath Group

    Stefan Patric, Dec 28, 2003
  17. On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 15:28:15 -0500, "Ralph Mowery" <>
    wrote:

    >> I have received olympus D390 digi cam for xmas, 2 million pixels,
    >> I am new to digital photography but i would like to be able to eventually
    >> print pictures up to A4 size, would this camera allow me to do this or do

    >> need more pixels?

    >What is A4 in inches or cm ? At work we have a plotter that will go to
    >sizes like that but I don't have the numbers right off.
    >A 2 mp is very good up to a 5x7 and maybe ok for an 8x10.

    Although I've been active in photography for many years (since about
    1950) this is the first time I've ever seen mention of A4 or A5 print
    designations. They've probably been around for years, but ...

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair?)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Dec 29, 2003
  18. andy

    Ralph Mowery Guest

    > so do i just take the memory card into the camera shop then?

    Most shops will take either the card from the cam or you can put it on a 3
    inch floppy or a cdr disc.

    Just as with music and the sound, it all depends on how critical you look at
    the pix. What most people would see as fine , others would really notice.
    Have you seen any pix taken at that size with a 35 mm camera and compaired
    them with some taken with a camera of the larger (think it is 70 ) film size
    and can you tell any differance ?

    Ralph Mowery, Dec 29, 2003
  19. andy

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > Ron Hunter <> writes:
    >
    >>It depends on just how good you want the output to look. Most
    >>consider 300 dots/inch the 'sweet spot' for printing pictures.

    > Try 200 dpi.

    For me, 200 is enough. The more discriminating here insist on 300.
    Given printer drivers that are able to work their magic on the input
    file to get the best possible representation on paper, 200 is probably a
    very good figure.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 29, 2003
  20. andy

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Roger Halstead <> writes:
    > Although I've been active in photography for many years (since about
    > 1950) this is the first time I've ever seen mention of A4 or A5 print
    > designations. They've probably been around for years, but ...

    A4 and A5 are standard European sizes of stationery, not really
    typical for photography. A4 corresponds to US letter size (8.5x11).
    It's actually slightly different from US letter size but pretty close.
    A5 is like A4 folded in half widthwise.

    Paul Rubin, Dec 29, 2003