    I have copy of Win ME and Win XP on hand..

    thanks
    ALLL

    jan, Oct 21, 2007

  2. jan

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 12:23:07 -0400, jan <>
    wrote:

    >I have a Dell Dimension 8100 with WIN XP and i want to down grade it to
    >WIN ME ..
    > How do i got about doing this task....
    >

    > I have copy of Win ME and Win XP on hand..

    There is no support for such a downgrade.
    (And if memory serves me, neither for an upgrade from Me to XP as
    well :)

    Just make sure you have a backup of all your data and do a fresh
    install of Me.
    And make sure you have the relevant drivers from Dell at hand.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok

    Gerard Bok, Oct 21, 2007

  3. jan

    smackedass Guest

    Why in God's name do you want to do this? ME was one of the most unstable
    OSs that Microsoft ever released.

    smackedass

    smackedass, Oct 21, 2007
  4. jan

    jan Guest

    WIN me works better on my dell 8100 .

    so how do i do a fresh restart / install for Win ME do i hit the F2
    key ????

    jan, Oct 21, 2007
  5. jan

    smackedass Guest

    Really, I'm able to find computers dropped off at my town dump that are
    better/stronger/faster than a Dell 8100. Even if it's true, that the 8100
    can run ME but not XP, then isn't it time for a new box?

    Notwithstanding the responses that say "don't do it!", keep in mind that ME
    only runs on FAT, which is an inherently less secure file system than NTFS.
    That speaks volumes. No pun intended.

    smackedass

    smackedass, Oct 22, 2007
  6. jan

    Bill Eitner Guest

    Barry Watzman wrote:
    > Man you do not want to do that. XP is the best OS that Microsoft has
    > ever published, and ME was the WORST OS that they ever published. If
    > the hardware truly won't run XP, then go to 98SE not ME. If you are
    > used to the look and feel of 9x and don't like XP, then setup XP in the
    > "Classic Mode" and it will look and feel like Windows 9x. The ONLY good
    > reason not to use XP is if the hardware is too weak to run it, and in
    > that case, the fallback should be 98SE, not ME.

    Could go back to 2000 as well.

    Bill Eitner, Oct 22, 2007
  7. jan

    Victek Guest

    > WIN me works better on my dell 8100 .
    >
    > so how do i do a fresh restart / install for Win ME do i hit the F2 key
    > ????

    If the computer is not already set to look for a bootable CD before booting
    from the hard drive you will need to press the F2 key. In the BIOS options
    there is a BOOT menu where you can set device priority. Make the CDROM
    drive the 1st bootable device. Save and exit the BIOS. The computer will
    reboot and then boot the Windows ME CD (you may have to "press any key to
    boot from the CD" while that message is on the screen). Once you're in the
    Windows setup you can delete and recreate the hard disk partition, and off
    you go installing ME. As someone else mentioned, make sure you have the
    necessary device drivers and of course your license key.

    Hope that helps.

    Victek, Oct 22, 2007
  8. jan

    Bill Eitner Guest

    jan wrote:
    > WIN me works better on my dell 8100 .
    >
    > so how do i do a fresh restart / install for Win ME do i hit the F2 key
    > ????

    Put the disk in.

    If it doesn't start by itself, open my computer or
    windows explorer, go the the drive where the disk
    is, run setup.exe and follow the instructions.

    You might want to try Windows 2000 first. Or,
    look into optimizing XP. There's a lot that can
    be done.

    I just went to the Dell site and looked up the
    Dimension 8100. It says it's a Pentium 4 running
    at 1.3 to 2.0 GHz with 128 MB to 2 GB of RAM.
    As long as there's a decent amount of RAM,
    XP should run fine. With enough RAM a Pentium III
    box will run XP. I'm writing this on a 900 MHz
    Athlon (PIII equivalent) with 1 GB of RAM that runs
    XP easily/responsively. My last box had ME and it was
    okay, but I like XP more. If I had to downgrade, I'd
    try 2000 first. And if I had your box I'd figure out
    what is slowing it down. It's plenty powerful enough
    to run XP properly.

    Bill Eitner, Oct 22, 2007
  9. jan

    smackedass Guest

    > While the statement is true, it's totally irrelevant for most private
    > users who really don't care about security, indeed who may find that
    > "security" and "permissions" actually get in the way of things and are of
    > negative value.

    I guess that what I'm saying that, in addition to ME just being a lame
    operating system, if it is ever intended to be part of a secure environment,
    this computer will have one more strike against it.

    sa

    smackedass, Oct 22, 2007
  10. jan

    smackedass Guest

    AND, my larger point is, especially for fledgling computer technicians, be
    aware that the computer in front of you might not be the best one to use. I
    can't say how many computers I've found at the local dump, that were
    repairable/upgradable to being better computers than many of my clients ask
    me to fix!

    While I'm typing this message from a 6 month old Dell Inspiron E1505 that
    runs Windows Vista, the computer that is downstairs in my shop is an
    eMachine that I got for NOTHING 'cept for a dumpster dive. It has the full
    2003 MS Office suite, which would have cost several hundred dollars from
    Staples, and though it isn't the fastest machine, it's fine to keep
    alongside my repair jobs, to download drivers and do research.

    If I were jan, I'd much more concentrate on finding a decent machine, that
    can run at least XP, rather than downgrade the OS, to ME, of all
    possibilities! This approach is downright counter-intuitive, to any person
    who is interested in doing things the best way possible. And this again
    demonstrates the disparity between what the A+ cert training does, and what
    it should do., I recently spoke to someone who is going for his cert, and
    he asked me about a question about the "token ring" topology. I couldn't
    believe it; who CARES about token ring, it is obsolete, was never any good
    to begin with! On the other hand, I'm certain that there are no questions
    about the practicality of downgrading a computer from XP to ME, when, at
    this point in time, there's probably an XP capable box sitting on someone's
    curb.

    sa

    smackedass, Oct 22, 2007
  11. jan

    trope Guest

    On Oct 21, 9:23 am, jan <> wrote:
    > I have a Dell Dimension 8100 with WIN XP and i want to down grade it to
    > WIN ME ..
    > How do i got about doing this task....
    >
    > I have copy of Win ME and Win XP on hand..
    >
    > thanks
    > ALLL

    While you are at it you might just as well add AOL and make the job
    complete.

    trope, Oct 22, 2007
  12. jan

    Patty Guest

    On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 13:09:11 GMT, smackedass wrote:

    > If I were jan, I'd much more concentrate on finding a decent machine, that
    > can run at least XP, rather than downgrade the OS, to ME, of all
    > possibilities! This approach is downright counter-intuitive, to any person
    > who is interested in doing things the best way possible. And this again
    > demonstrates the disparity between what the A+ cert training does, and what
    > it should do., I recently spoke to someone who is going for his cert, and
    > he asked me about a question about the "token ring" topology. I couldn't
    > believe it; who CARES about token ring, it is obsolete, was never any good
    > to begin with! On the other hand, I'm certain that there are no questions
    > about the practicality of downgrading a computer from XP to ME, when, at
    > this point in time, there's probably an XP capable box sitting on someone's
    > curb.

    While I don't know much about the Dell 8100 (I have a Dell 4100 that I'm
    running Linux on), I did have Windows XP Pro on a Compaq Deskpro that had a
    600MHz Pentium 3. It ran XP just fine, I saw no real problems with it.
    Granted it wasn't the fastest kid on the block and I never tried to use it
    for gaming. It did have 512MB RAM on it, perhaps that's Jan's biggest
    problem with XP and her Dell, not enough RAM. Btw, I have a friend with an
    older Dell 2350 (came with XP, 1.8 GHz Pentium 4 and 256MB RAM). He
    remarked to me one day that it had gotten slower and slower and he could
    barely use it. He was able to upgrade the RAM to 1GB for a small cost and
    now he says he no longer needs a new computer. His Dell just flies and
    does everything he needs it to do.

    Patty

    Patty, Oct 22, 2007