Help: How do I change the type of text list, from up-down to side-by-side...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Eric, Jul 28, 2005.

  1. Eric

    Eric Guest

    How do I make a list that looks like this,

    ASF
    MCY
    MRGE
    MZ
    PSTA

    look like this,

    ASF MCY MRGE MZ PSTA

    without doing it manually? I have some long lists that I need to
    change this way.

    Pls help - it must be possible but I can't find a program or option
    that'll do it.

    Hopefully I can do it in a standard program like notepad or open
    office or something that I already have ( IE, FireFox, Agent, Open
    Office, ThunderBird, Foxit Reader) but I will download a program if I
    need to - hopefully small.

    thanks a lot
    Eric

    Eric, Jul 28, 2005

  2. Eric

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Re: How do I change the type of text list, from up-down to side-by-side...

    Have you tried a search and replace in Word? Load the file into Word, and
    search for paragraph marks and replace them with a space or a tab or
    whatever you want. Works *great*!

    Toolman Tim, Jul 28, 2005

  3. Eric

    Guest

    Eric <> wrote:

    |>How do I make a list that looks like this,
    |>
    |>ASF
    |>MCY
    |>MRGE
    |>MZ
    |>PSTA
    |>
    |>look like this,
    |>
    |>ASF MCY MRGE MZ PSTA

    I'd use UltraEdit, but anything that will allow you to make and run
    macros.

    --
    http://VISTA.com/

    , Jul 28, 2005
  4. Eric

    Eric Guest

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:07:53 -0700, wrote:

    > Eric <> wrote:
    >
    >|>How do I make a list that looks like this,
    >|>
    >|>ASF
    >|>MCY
    >|>MRGE
    >|>MZ
    >|>PSTA
    >|>
    >|>look like this,
    >|>
    >|>ASF MCY MRGE MZ PSTA
    >|>

    >I'd use UltraEdit, but anything that will allow you to make and run
    >macros.

    I had no idea what a macro was but found out quickly and made one that
    works perfect for me in open office.

    thanks for your help this will save me much time.
    Eric

    Eric, Jul 28, 2005
  5. Re: How do I change the type of text list, from up-down to side-by-side...

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > Have you tried a search and replace in Word? Load the file into Word, and
    > search for paragraph marks and replace them with a space or a tab or
    > whatever you want. Works *great*!

    Q: In case those files also have normal text as well, can you limit
    S/R to a highlighted block with Word -- so you can do a "replace all"
    (without prompting) for each list and not hose the normal text? Or is
    S/R always going to look at the whole file?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 28, 2005
  6. Eric

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> Have you tried a search and replace in Word? Load the file into Word, and
    >> search for paragraph marks and replace them with a space or a tab or
    >> whatever you want. Works *great*!

    > Q: In case those files also have normal text as well, can you limit
    > S/R to a highlighted block with Word -- so you can do a "replace all"
    > (without prompting) for each list and not hose the normal text? Or is
    > S/R always going to look at the whole file?

    Marked blocks work fine for that - S&R is limited to the selection. It does
    that in Excel too. So when I'm making long lists of similar products, I can
    type it once, and copy/paste/S&R for the next batch of similar items. (Price
    lists at work...*so* boring <g>)

    Toolman Tim, Jul 28, 2005