Help! How can I let Intel Proset completely control my wirelss?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by networm, Sep 25, 2005.

  1. networm

    networm Guest

    Hi all,

    ToI've heard many stories that on Toshiba Tecra M4 Tablet PC the Micrsoft
    ZeroConfigure wireless does
    not play nicely with the whole system.

    I have also experienced some suspicous problems: mostly, the wireless failed
    many times when resuming from standby( I have 1.5 GB memory, but this
    problem was also recurring when I had 512MB RAM previously...)

    To cure this problem, I have already uninstalled Toshiba ConfigureFree. And
    also somewhere in control panel, I have chosen "don't let MS configure
    wirelss"...

    But it seemed that MS is stilling in controling of the wireless. Every time
    when the wireless failed after resuming from standby, I tried to launch
    manually the Intel Proset wireless utility. It finds available wireless
    networks successfully, but when I click the "connect" button, it complains
    that "An other application is controlling the wireless adaptor"...

    This shows that the MS is still controlling the wireless. The Intel Proset
    does not even have an opportunity to grab the wirelss card.

    How can I completely let Intel Proset to control the wireless card?

    thanks a lot

    --------------------

    Update --

    As I have reported, I have already made sure that step "don't allow MS to
    configure wireless" is done. And the
    Wireless MS ZeroConfigure is disabled even from startup...

    But when it resumes from standby, the wireless failure still occurs 25% of
    time. And when it failed, I run Intel Proset software utility, it still
    complains that the wireless card is in use for another application...

    A proof of the existence of Intel Proset under normal situation is that
    there is a GREEN FAN like icon on notification area of the system tray and
    after it finds the network the following MS icon began to "prapogate wave
    out of the computer icon"...

    The above is when the wireless networks work properly.

    When it resumes from standby, 25% of time the wireless failed. The Intel
    Proset GREEN FAN icon does not appear.

    But there is still the MS icon - "a computer with some wave propagate out
    from it", the typical MS icon in the nofication area of the system tray,
    similar to those LAN icons. But with a big CROSS RED X on it, since wirelss
    does not work properly.

    This makes me suspect that there is still something controlled by MS, not
    completely controled by Intel. Maybe I should install a new Intel Proset
    software/driver? and them Intel to grab control from MS?

    However when after resuming the wirelss failed to come up, then I use Intel
    Proset software, it still complains about not being able to grab the
    wireless card...

    networm, Sep 25, 2005

  2. networm

    networm Guest

    After so much debugging work, I still have the same problem.

    Can I disable the following services from within "msconfig"?

    In msconfig services list:

    Server
    Workstation
    Network Connections
    Network Location Awareness(NLA)
    SavRoam
    Smart Card
    SSDP Discovery Service
    Telephony
    terminal Services
    Distributed Link Tracking Client
    WebClient
    Network Provisioning Service

    In the above list, only SavRoam is not from MS, (it is from unknown
    company), all other services are from MS... can I disable them from loading
    at startup?

    I found Intel has its own version of "ZCfgSrv.exe"... I am trying to disable
    it too.

    networm, Sep 25, 2005

  3. networm

    networm Guest

    btw, I have installed the latest card driver for 2200BG from Intel website.

    networm, Sep 25, 2005
  4. networm

    Quaoar Guest

    "networm" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > tray and after it finds the network the following MS icon began to
    > "prapogate wave out of the computer icon"...
    >
    > The above is when the wireless networks work properly.
    >
    > When it resumes from standby, 25% of time the wireless failed. The
    > Intel Proset GREEN FAN icon does not appear.
    >
    > But there is still the MS icon - "a computer with some wave propagate
    > out from it", the typical MS icon in the nofication area of the system
    > tray, similar to those LAN icons. But with a big CROSS RED X on it,
    > since wirelss does not work properly.
    >
    > This makes me suspect that there is still something controlled by MS,
    > not completely controled by Intel. Maybe I should install a new Intel
    > Proset software/driver? and them Intel to grab control from MS?
    >
    > However when after resuming the wirelss failed to come up, then I use
    > Intel Proset software, it still complains about not being able to grab

    Go into Start/Run/msconfig/startup tab and look at each and every one of
    the startup items to verify what is running wireless. Also, Task
    Manager, for the same. Frankly, I think you might be misguided about
    Wireless Zero being a problem and you might want to re-enable it for a
    time just to see what it does for the connectivity.

    Quaoar, Sep 26, 2005