HELP !!!! Hotmail BLOCKS attachment !!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by pg, May 11, 2008.

  1. pg

    pg Guest

    Can hotmail users help me please ??

    I asked my friend to send me something, and he sent it to me, as an
    email attachment.

    Now the problem is in Hotmail.

    Hotmail has decided to BLOCK that attachment with the excuse of
    "Windows Live Hotmail has blocked some attachments in this mail
    because they appear unsafe."

    C'mon, whether it's safe or unsafe, let the user be the one who
    decides !!!

    Why in the world Hotmail becomes the master of the users?

    Can anyone please tell me how to UN-block that attachment??

    I really need that attachment !!!

    If it's unsafe, I have antivirus / anti-trojan / anti-spyware
    installed to use against it.

    Please, please tell me HOW to unblock the attachment currently being
    blocked by Hotmail !!!

    Thank you all !!!

    pg, May 11, 2008

  2. pg

    PeeCee Guest

    "pg" <> wrote in message
    > Can hotmail users help me please ??
    >
    > I asked my friend to send me something, and he sent it to me, as an
    > email attachment.
    >
    > Now the problem is in Hotmail.
    >
    > Hotmail has decided to BLOCK that attachment with the excuse of
    > "Windows Live Hotmail has blocked some attachments in this mail
    > because they appear unsafe."
    >
    > C'mon, whether it's safe or unsafe, let the user be the one who
    > decides !!!
    >
    > Why in the world Hotmail becomes the master of the users?
    >
    > Can anyone please tell me how to UN-block that attachment??
    >
    > I really need that attachment !!!
    >
    > If it's unsafe, I have antivirus / anti-trojan / anti-spyware
    > installed to use against it.
    >
    > Please, please tell me HOW to unblock the attachment currently being
    > blocked by Hotmail !!!
    >
    > Thank you all !!!

    Havent got a Hotmail screen in front of me, but from what I can remember
    there 'is' an button to open or download the attachment on the screen.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, May 11, 2008

  3. pg

    pg Guest

    On May 10, 6:58 pm, "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    > "pg" <> wrote in message

    > > Can hotmail users help me please ??

    > > I asked my friend to send me something, and he sent it to me, as an
    > > email attachment.

    > > Now the problem is in Hotmail.

    > > Hotmail has decided to BLOCK that attachment with the excuse of
    > > "Windows Live Hotmail has blocked some attachments in this mail
    > > because they appear unsafe."

    > > C'mon, whether it's safe or unsafe, let the user be the one who
    > > decides !!!

    > > Why in the world Hotmail becomes the master of the users?

    > > Can anyone please tell me how to UN-block that attachment??

    > > I really need that attachment !!!

    > > If it's unsafe, I have antivirus / anti-trojan / anti-spyware
    > > installed to use against it.

    > > Please, please tell me HOW to unblock the attachment currently being
    > > blocked by Hotmail !!!

    > > Thank you all !!!

    > Havent got a Hotmail screen in front of me, but from what I can remember
    > there 'is' an button to open or download the attachment on the screen.
    >
    > Best
    > Paul.

    There "is" a button, but if Hotmail decided that the content is not
    good for you, it just block everything.

    Big brother attitude !!!

    pg, May 11, 2008
  4. pg

    pg Guest

    On May 10, 7:18 pm, "...winston" <> wrote:
    > Crossposting removed for all but Hotmail and Windows Live Mail newsgroups.
    >
    > Ask the recipient to resend the file as zip file or a different extension(e.g. *.xyz, *.abc *.rename, *.need, *.elvis etc)
    >
    > For info on blocked file types..Read the section titled "Notes"http://help.live.com/Help.aspx?market=en-US&project=MailFull&querytyp...
    >
    > Fyi...free Hotmail accounts limit is 10MB; paid account is 20MB

    File size is about 1MB, it's an old fractal freeware that the author
    has already abandoned. My friend has a copy, so I asked him to send it
    over, and now this ....

    Geeeeeeshhhhh....

    pg, May 11, 2008
  5. pg

    pg Guest

    On May 11, 12:05 am, "...winston" <> wrote:
    > Fyi...
    > Crossposting removed.Follow-up set to msn.discussion the appropriate group for Hotmail questions.
    >
    > And the extension of the original file was ?

    ..exe

    The thing is that only NOW that I know hotmail deletes _ALL_ .exe file
    attachments. The matter is this ... when I sign up for Hotmail, there
    wasn't any mention of the "prohibited file extension" thing in the
    "contract" at the sign-up page at all.

    Shhhhhheeeeeeehhhhhh !!!

    Other than Hotmail, do you know of any other webmail operator(s) also
    do this thing? I wouldn't sign up the hotmail account if I knew of the
    "prohibition list".

    pg, May 11, 2008
  6. pg

    Dave Guest

    Gmail
    http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6590&topic=12850

    I just tested Yahoo, and it scanned my .exe attachment, then let me download
    it.

    --
    Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
    http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

    Dave, May 11, 2008
  7. Hotmail Support & FAQ
    https://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productKey=wlmail&ct=eformts

    Can't download or send attachments
    https://help.live.com/help.aspx?pro...MT.HTM&tmt=&domain=support.live.com&format=a2
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

    PA Bear [MS MVP], May 11, 2008
  8. pg

    Guest

    On May 11, 10:46�am, "Dave" <> wrote:
    > Gmailhttp://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6590&topic=12850
    >
    > I just tested Yahoo, and it scanned my .exe attachment, then let me download
    > it.
    >
    > --
    > Vista Home Premium 32 SP1http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
    >
    > "pg" <> wrote in message

    > > On May 11, 12:05 am, "...winston" <> wrote:
    > >> Fyi...
    > >> Crossposting removed.Follow-up set to msn.discussion the appropriate
    > >> group for Hotmail questions.

    > >> And the extension of the original file was ?

    > > .exe

    > > The thing is that only NOW that I know hotmail deletes _ALL_ .exe file
    > > attachments. The matter is this ... when I sign up for Hotmail, there
    > > wasn't any mention of the "prohibited file extension" thing in the
    > > "contract" at the sign-up page at all.

    > > Shhhhhheeeeeeehhhhhh !!!

    > > Other than Hotmail, do you know of any other webmail operator(s) also
    > > do this thing? I wouldn't sign up the hotmail account if I knew of the
    > > "prohibition list".

    > >> --
    > >> � �...winston
    > >> ms-mvp mail

    > >> "pg" <> wrote in
    > >> messagenews:...

    Mork does indeed appear unsafe.

    , May 12, 2008
  9. http://khkb9rqz.blogspot.com/2008/05/wow-total-spaz-out-on-rrap.html

    fake

    an_old_friend, May 12, 2008
  10. pg

    thanatoid Guest

    pg <> wrote in
    ups.com:

    > Can hotmail users help me please ??
    >
    > I asked my friend to send me something, and he sent it to
    > me, as an email attachment.
    >
    > Now the problem is in Hotmail.
    >
    > Hotmail has decided to BLOCK that attachment with the
    > excuse of "Windows Live Hotmail has blocked some
    > attachments in this mail because they appear unsafe."
    >
    > C'mon, whether it's safe or unsafe, let the user be the one
    > who decides !!!

    C'mon now... Is this the first time you noticed that Microsoft
    KNOWS BETTER than ANYBODY else in the whole universe?

    Anyway, Tiger's response is valid and accurate but there is a
    simpler way.

    Simply have the sender rename the file to from fubar.JPG (I am
    guessing it was a JPG or a ZIP) to fubar.BMP

    The BMP format is immune to the JPG virus (which BTW works ONLY
    with Microsoft software) and many webmail servers block ZIPs,
    RARs, etc because who knows what's in them. The BMP will most
    probably not be blocked. Nor would TXT. But a Word or an Excel
    file might because the make excellent containers for malicious
    macros. Then again, blocking two of its most famous formats
    would make MS look like a little, uhm, foolish shall we say? So
    /they/ probably don't - but ANOTHER webmail outfit (gmail?)
    /might/ block it.

    Basically, everyone assumes the users are totally clueless -
    sadly, they are right a lot of the time.

    It actually all started when MS in their supreme wisdom (see
    first sentence) decided file extensions should be hidden from
    users by default. Anyone who does not change that setting within
    the first 10 minutes of sitting in front of their new machine
    /is/ clueless.

    Anyway, once you get the file, change the extension, and you're
    on your way.

    --
    There is no doubt that life is given us, not to be enjoyed, but
    to be overcome--to be got over.

    - Arthur Schopenhauer

    thanatoid, May 12, 2008
  11. pg

    Guest

    On May 11, 11:26 pm, wrote:
    > On May 11, 10:46�am, "Dave" <> wrote:
    >

    > > Gmailhttp://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6590&topic=12850

    > > I just tested Yahoo, and it scanned my .exe attachment, then let me download
    > > it.

    > > --
    > > Vista Home Premium 32 SP1http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

    > > "pg" <> wrote in message

    > > > .exe

    > > > The thing is that only NOW that I know hotmail deletes _ALL_ .exe file
    > > > attachments. The matter is this ... when I sign up for Hotmail, there
    > > > wasn't any mention of the "prohibited file extension" thing in the
    > > > "contract" at the sign-up page at all.

    > > > Shhhhhheeeeeeehhhhhh !!!

    > > > Other than Hotmail, do you know of any other webmail operator(s) also
    > > > do this thing? I wouldn't sign up the hotmail account if I knew of the
    > > > "prohibition list".

    > Mork does indeed appear unsafe.- Hide quoted text -

    not to mention mork is one nasty, ugly sperm guzzler.

    , May 12, 2008
  12. pg

    ExistenceGuest

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    just forward it to another email account

    ExistenceGuest, Nov 13, 2008
  13. pg

    ExistenceGuest

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    try to forward it to yahoo or gmail :captain:

    ExistenceGuest, Jan 24, 2009