    test the power supply. can check the power supply while the it is plugged in
    th AC current?
    Thanks
    Im, Aug 9, 2004

  2. Im

    Jamco Guest

    if its a pentium 111, thats the problem

    "Im" <> wrote in message
    news:8iNRc.118564$...
    > hi all, I a PC P111 hp vectra. The problem is that it blocks from time to
    > time. sometimes when I try to open some programs it takes ages to open but
    > some time it says that program is not responding. what could the problem

    be?

    Jamco, Aug 9, 2004

    "Im" <> wrote in message
    > hi all, I a PC P111 hp vectra. The problem is that it blocks from time to
    > time. sometimes when I try to open some programs it takes ages to open but
    > some time it says that program is not responding. what could the problem

    be?
    > I'm suspecting the HD is about to go bad or the power supply. could anyone
    > help me out. could anyone help me out on how to position the multimeter to
    > test the power supply. can check the power supply while the it is plugged

    in
    > th AC current?
    > Thanks

    It's extremely unlikely that the Power Supply would have anything to do with
    programs taking a long time to open.

    When you say "P111 hp vectra", do you mean it's an HP Vectra with a Pentium
    3? Perhaps something like this computer -
    http://www.bobjohnson.com/_store/Display_Products.asp?prodID=HP-VL400 ?

    There are several possibilities for this problem. The first thing I'd try
    is to scan for viruses, adware and spyware. Then, disable any auto-starting
    programs that you don't need in msconfig. It's possible that there's just a
    lot of crap running in the background and not enough RAM to open more
    programs.
    Patrick Michael, Aug 9, 2004
  4. Im

    Jamco Guest

    I have a pile of about 30 pentium 133's with windows 95 that I can't even
    give away to anyone!!

    Jamco, Aug 9, 2004
  5. On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 21:38:30 GMT, "Jamco" <> wrote:

    >I have a pile of about 30 pentium 133's with windows 95 that I can't even
    >give away to anyone!!
    >
    >"Michael" <> wrote in message
    >> Jamco wrote:
    >> > if its a pentium 111, thats the problem

    >> Must be nice to have 23rd century technology.
    >>
    >> michael

    I think that Michael is referring to the Pentium 111 as being a
    Pentium CXI...as opposed to Pentium 4/IV. :)

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 9, 2004
  6. Im

    AG Guest

    "Im" <> wrote in message
    > hi all, I a PC P111 hp vectra. The problem is that it blocks from time to
    > time. sometimes when I try to open some programs it takes ages to open but
    > some time it says that program is not responding. what could the problem

    be?
    > I'm suspecting the HD is about to go bad or the power supply. could anyone
    > help me out. could anyone help me out on how to position the multimeter to
    > test the power supply. can check the power supply while the it is plugged

    in
    > th AC current?
    > Thanks

    Things to check include the phisical RAM, there are lots of memory checking
    programs, the power supply and the HD. The power supply you can check with
    a Volt Ohm meter, test it while the computer is on by putting the black lead
    on a black wire and the red one on a yellow one then on the red one. If you
    are getting a steady 5 and 12 volts you are good there.
    Get the brand of the HD, the manufacturer will have a program you can
    download and use to check it.
    It sounds more like a program error to me though. Things to do are disable
    the screen saver, I've seen lots of computers with problems there. Just
    turn the monitor off when you're through if you're worried about it.
    If you're using Windows XP or 2000 you can try doing a repair installation
    of the OS, it might work.
    One last thing you could do is boot the computer to a Knoppix CD and see if
    it has problems running programs there that would pretty well eliminate
    hardware except the hard drive as the problem.

    AG
    AG, Aug 10, 2004
  7. Im

    Itbuz Guest

    Great! Thanks

    Itbuz, Aug 11, 2004
  8. Im

    Teddy Turner Guest

    Check for Adware and Spyware using AD-Aware and check for viruses. Then
    Defrag your drive and disable any unnecessary programs from starting up in
    msconfig. Can only help!!

    Teddy Turner, Aug 11, 2004