Help! Help! I've lost my inbox emails.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Alasdair, Aug 13, 2010.

  1. Alasdair

    Alasdair Guest

    when I switched on my computer last evening, I was shocked to find
    that there were no emails in my Outlook Express inbox for Identity A
    except the "Welcome to Outlook Express 6" which I normally get when I
    initially install Outlook Express from scratch.

    By the way, I am running Windows XP with all the service packs and
    Outlook Express is my email client.

    After sniffing the smelling salts and thinking about it, I found that
    the inboxes for my various identities appear to have gone to the
    Recycle Bin. I have 7 files called inbox.bak.

    Please, is there any way of reading these *.bak files without
    restoring them so that I can find out which file relates to Identity
    A?

    All the other identities seem to be OK.

    --
    Alasdair.

    Alasdair, Aug 13, 2010

  2. Alasdair

    Dan C Guest

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 13:15:41 +0100, Alasdair wrote:

    > when I switched on my computer last evening, I was shocked to find that
    > there were no emails in my Outlook Express inbox for Identity A except
    > the "Welcome to Outlook Express 6" which I normally get when I initially
    > install Outlook Express from scratch.
    >
    > By the way, I am running Windows XP with all the service packs and
    > Outlook Express is my email client.
    >
    > After sniffing the smelling salts and thinking about it, I found that
    > the inboxes for my various identities appear to have gone to the Recycle
    > Bin. I have 7 files called inbox.bak.
    >
    > Please, is there any way of reading these *.bak files without restoring
    > them so that I can find out which file relates to Identity A?
    >
    > All the other identities seem to be OK.

    A quick format of the hard drive will correct these issues.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he harpooned Flipper.

    Dan C, Aug 13, 2010

  3. Alasdair

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 13/08/2010 13:15, Alasdair wrote:
    > when I switched on my computer last evening, I was shocked to find
    > that there were no emails in my Outlook Express inbox for Identity A
    > except the "Welcome to Outlook Express 6" which I normally get when I
    > initially install Outlook Express from scratch.
    >
    > By the way, I am running Windows XP with all the service packs and
    > Outlook Express is my email client.
    >
    > After sniffing the smelling salts and thinking about it, I found that
    > the inboxes for my various identities appear to have gone to the
    > Recycle Bin. I have 7 files called inbox.bak.
    >
    > Please, is there any way of reading these *.bak files without
    > restoring them so that I can find out which file relates to Identity
    > A?

    I doubt those are the files you are looking for. Just restore from your
    last data backup and you should be fine.

    Desk Rabbit, Aug 13, 2010
  4. Alasdair

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-08-13, Alasdair <> wrote:
    > when I switched on my computer last evening, I was shocked to find
    > that there were no emails in my Outlook Express inbox for Identity A
    > except the "Welcome to Outlook Express 6" which I normally get when I
    > initially install Outlook Express from scratch.

    [...]

    The official answer is probably somewhere here
    <http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?mode=r&qid=512263&query=o
    utlook+express+lost+inbox+messages&spid=1173&catalog=LCID%3D1033&1033comm=1
    &ast=25&ast=28&res=20> or <http://xrl.us/bhvwgy> for short.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Aug 13, 2010
  5. Alasdair wrote:
    > when I switched on my computer last evening, I was shocked to find
    > that there were no emails in my Outlook Express inbox for Identity A
    > except the "Welcome to Outlook Express 6" which I normally get when I
    > initially install Outlook Express from scratch.
    >
    > By the way, I am running Windows XP with all the service packs and
    > Outlook Express is my email client.
    >
    > After sniffing the smelling salts and thinking about it, I found that
    > the inboxes for my various identities appear to have gone to the
    > Recycle Bin. I have 7 files called inbox.bak.
    >
    > Please, is there any way of reading these *.bak files without
    > restoring them so that I can find out which file relates to Identity
    > A?
    >
    > All the other identities seem to be OK.
    >
    > --
    > Alasdair.

    Rename the file extension and use Outhouse to open it.

    Smelling salts? A jalepeno rubbed in each eye does a better job.

    <nods>

    §ñühw¤£f, Aug 13, 2010
  6. Alasdair

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 13:22:45 +0000, Dan C wrote:

    > On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 13:15:41 +0100, Alasdair wrote:
    >
    >> when I switched on my computer last evening, I was shocked to find that
    >> there were no emails in my Outlook Express inbox for Identity A except
    >> the "Welcome to Outlook Express 6" which I normally get when I
    >> initially install Outlook Express from scratch.
    >>
    >> By the way, I am running Windows XP with all the service packs and
    >> Outlook Express is my email client.
    >>
    >> After sniffing the smelling salts and thinking about it, I found that
    >> the inboxes for my various identities appear to have gone to the
    >> Recycle Bin. I have 7 files called inbox.bak.
    >>
    >> Please, is there any way of reading these *.bak files without restoring
    >> them so that I can find out which file relates to Identity A?
    >>
    >> All the other identities seem to be OK.

    > A quick format of the hard drive will correct these issues.

    And you call others 'stupid'

    Meat Plow, Aug 13, 2010
  7. Alasdair

    Dan C Guest

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 14:14:03 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 13:22:45 +0000, Dan C wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 13:15:41 +0100, Alasdair wrote:
    >>
    >>> when I switched on my computer last evening, I was shocked to find
    >>> that there were no emails in my Outlook Express inbox for Identity A
    >>> except the "Welcome to Outlook Express 6" which I normally get when I
    >>> initially install Outlook Express from scratch.
    >>>
    >>> By the way, I am running Windows XP with all the service packs and
    >>> Outlook Express is my email client.
    >>>
    >>> After sniffing the smelling salts and thinking about it, I found that
    >>> the inboxes for my various identities appear to have gone to the
    >>> Recycle Bin. I have 7 files called inbox.bak.
    >>>
    >>> Please, is there any way of reading these *.bak files without
    >>> restoring them so that I can find out which file relates to Identity
    >>> A?
    >>>
    >>> All the other identities seem to be OK.

    >> A quick format of the hard drive will correct these issues.

    > And you call others 'stupid'

    No, I call *you* stupid.

    Which is quite correct.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he rolled off the prostitute.

    Dan C, Aug 13, 2010
  8. Alasdair

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 14:52:51 +0000, Dan C wrote:

    > On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 14:14:03 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> A quick format of the hard drive will correct these issues.

    >> And you call others 'stupid'

    > No, I call *you* stupid.

    In what Universe does someone "other" than you not include me? LMAO!

    > Which is quite correct.

    This from a grammar-crippled, illiterate imbecile. :(

    Meat Plow, Aug 13, 2010
  9. Alasdair

    Mike Easter Guest

    Alasdair wrote:
    > when I switched on my computer last evening, I was shocked to find
    > that there were no emails in my Outlook Express inbox for Identity A
    > except the "Welcome to Outlook Express 6" which I normally get when I
    > initially install Outlook Express from scratch.

    OE inboxes are very very subject to corruption, especially if you don't
    take care of them and maintain them by keeping them small instead of
    using them for storage and if you don't have a system for compacting
    them often enough and especially if you use an AV agent on your incoming
    mail.

    The AV agent can discover a viral template and try to sanitize it and in
    the process it can wreck the .dbx file.

    One of the weaknesses of OE as a mailuser agent is the weakness of its
    database - which database function is a very critical part of any mail
    client.

    > By the way, I am running Windows XP with all the service packs and
    > Outlook Express is my email client.
    >
    > After sniffing the smelling salts and thinking about it, I found that
    > the inboxes for my various identities appear to have gone to the
    > Recycle Bin.

    This sentence says that the inboxes for numerous various identities is
    whacked.

    > I have 7 files called inbox.bak.
    >
    > Please, is there any way of reading these *.bak files without
    > restoring them so that I can find out which file relates to Identity
    > A?
    >
    > All the other identities seem to be OK.

    This sentence says that the condition of the identities is not whacked.

    Your report is ambiguous about the condition of the other identities.

    It is possible to use a .dbx tool on the .bak files and see if there is
    anything useful in there.

    There are free and pay OE .dbx tools. Most of the free ones have given
    way to the pay ones. You can search on outlook express extraction and
    include the term freeware or not.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 13, 2010
  10. Alasdair

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 08:05:31 -0600, §ñühw¤£f wrote:

    > A jalepeno rubbed in each eye does a better job.

    That, or Optrex.

    --
    "When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
    Then I realised God doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and

    Aardvark, Aug 13, 2010
  11. Alasdair

    joevan Guest

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 17:44:04 +0000 (UTC), Aardvark
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 08:05:31 -0600, §ñühw¤£f wrote:
    >
    >> A jalepeno rubbed in each eye does a better job.

    >That, or Optrex.

    "When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
    Then I realised God doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and
    prayed for forgiveness." - Emo Phillips
    Here you go if you like corny comedy. What other kind is there?
    http://www.emophilips.com/video/video/177

    joevan, Aug 13, 2010
  12. Alasdair

    philo Guest

    On 08/13/2010 07:15 AM, Alasdair wrote:
    > when I switched on my computer last evening, I was shocked to find
    > that there were no emails in my Outlook Express inbox for Identity A
    > except the "Welcome to Outlook Express 6" which I normally get when I
    > initially install Outlook Express from scratch.
    >
    > By the way, I am running Windows XP with all the service packs and
    > Outlook Express is my email client.
    >
    > After sniffing the smelling salts and thinking about it, I found that
    > the inboxes for my various identities appear to have gone to the
    > Recycle Bin. I have 7 files called inbox.bak.
    >
    > Please, is there any way of reading these *.bak files without
    > restoring them so that I can find out which file relates to Identity
    > A?
    >
    > All the other identities seem to be OK.
    >
    > --
    > Alasdair.

    When Outlook Express compacts the folders
    the backups go to your recycle bin

    so simply restore them

    then if necessary rename them to end with .dbx

    To be safe, save a copy of them somewhere

    philo, Aug 13, 2010
  13. On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 13:15:41 +0100, Alasdair wrote:

    > when I switched on my computer last evening, I was shocked to find that
    > there were no emails in my Outlook Express inbox for Identity A except
    > the "Welcome to Outlook Express 6" which I normally get when I initially
    > install Outlook Express from scratch.
    >
    > By the way, I am running Windows XP with all the service packs and
    > Outlook Express is my email client.
    >
    > After sniffing the smelling salts and thinking about it, I found that
    > the inboxes for my various identities appear to have gone to the Recycle
    > Bin. I have 7 files called inbox.bak.
    >
    > Please, is there any way of reading these *.bak files without restoring
    > them so that I can find out which file relates to Identity A?
    >
    > All the other identities seem to be OK.

    u can just restore it from the bak file

    �b�b�b�, Aug 13, 2010
  14. Alasdair

    Dan C Guest

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 15:00:34 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 14:52:51 +0000, Dan C wrote:

    >>> And you call others 'stupid'

    >> No, I call *you* stupid.

    > In what Universe does someone "other" than you not include me? LMAO!
    >
    >> Which is quite correct.

    > This from a grammar-crippled, illiterate imbecile. :(

    LOL! Pwned. Again.

    It's really too easy. Getting boring.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he lay back and lit Piglet's cigarette.

    Dan C, Aug 14, 2010
  15. Alasdair

    Tony Guest

    Why you dick just right click on the files in the recycle bin then left
    click on restore.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    proper manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first
    day on the job for potty mouth,

    beyond the realm of understandability

    Tony, Aug 14, 2010
  16. Alasdair

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 02:19:40 +0000, Dan C wrote:

    > On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 15:00:34 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> No, I call *you* stupid.

    >> In what Universe does someone "other" than you not include me? LMAO!
    >>
    >>> Which is quite correct.

    >> This from a grammar-crippled, illiterate imbecile. :(

    > LOL! Pwned. Again.
    >
    > It's really too easy. Getting boring.

    You got the paint wore off of the wall I got you backed into.

    Standard backpedal Pwned screed laughed at.

    Meat Plow, Aug 14, 2010
  17. Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 02:19:40 +0000, Dan C wrote:

    >>> In what Universe does someone "other" than you not include me? LMAO!

    >>> This from a grammar-crippled, illiterate imbecile. :(

    >> LOL! Pwned. Again.
    >>
    >> It's really too easy. Getting boring.

    > You got the paint wore off of the wall I got you backed into.
    >
    > Standard backpedal Pwned screed laughed at.

    You two tards are well matched.
    Better amp it up a bit though, those 90's lames are...well...so 90's.

    <nods>

    §ñühw¤£f, Aug 14, 2010
  18. Aardvark wrote:
    > On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 08:05:31 -0600, §ñühw¤£f wrote:
    >
    >> A jalepeno rubbed in each eye does a better job.

    > That, or Optrex.

    WILL TAHT GET YUO HIGH!?!?!?!?

    §ñühw¤£f, Aug 14, 2010
  19. Alasdair

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 08:00:59 -0600, §ñühw¤£f wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> LOL! Pwned. Again.
    >>>
    >>> It's really too easy. Getting boring.

    >> You got the paint wore off of the wall I got you backed into.
    >>
    >> Standard backpedal Pwned screed laughed at.
    >>

    > You two tards are well matched.
    > Better amp it up a bit though, those 90's lames are...well...so 90's.

    Yeah we'll just poast edit like you. That will really amp it up huh?

    And I'll be sure to post with mommy's computer just like you.

    Meat Plow, Aug 14, 2010
  20. Meat Plow <> pinched out a steaming pile
    of<>:

    >On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 08:00:59 -0600, §ñühw¤£f wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow wrote:

    for

    packs

    found

    gone to

    LMAO!

    >>> You got the paint wore off of the wall I got you backed into.
    >>>
    >>> Standard backpedal Pwned screed laughed at.
    >>>

    >> You two tards are well matched.
    >> Better amp it up a bit though, those 90's lames are...well...so

    90's.

    >Yeah we'll just poast edit like you. That will really amp it up huh?

    Heh.. you wish Chubbs.

    >And I'll be sure to post with mommy's computer just like you.

    My mom wont let you.
    NYEAH....ouch.
    Hey fatass, I just got a yz 490. How long yu think before I take dirt
    nap with it?

    §ñühw¤£f, Aug 15, 2010