HELP HELP HELP DVDROM WOES

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Sparky, Dec 26, 2005.

  1. Sparky

    Sparky Guest

    I have an NEC DVD_RW ND 1300A combo drive, which was working perfectly a
    week ago. Now it no longer recognises CD's placed in the drive.
    If I put a DVD in it will recognise it and read it.
    If I put in a CD NOTHING I just get the following message

    "PLEASE INSERT A DISC INTO DRIVE F"

    And YES there is a CD in. This is the same for CD's I have burnt AS WELL
    as comercially crerated CD's
    It will not read music CD's
    It will not even read the WINXP HOME installation CD.

    THINGS I HAVE DONE

    Removed the drive from SYSTEM in CPL re installed same problem

    Uninstalled the driver re-insatlled same problem. I am guessing I am
    re-installing the driver from WINDOWS directory as the WINXP CD cannot
    be read.

    I cannot roll back to a previous driver None to go back to?

    Been to GOOGLE to look for drivers cannot find any

    NEC website cannot find drivers there

    Am about to biff this into the bin and get another drive
    BEFORE I do that anyone got any ideas I have not tried or help?
    Thanks
    Sparky, Dec 26, 2005

  2. >
    > "PLEASE INSERT A DISC INTO DRIVE F"

    If you try and boot off the WINXP CD does it work (hardware problem rather
    than software problem?)

    Thanks
    Craig
    Craig Whitmore, Dec 26, 2005

  3. Sparky

    Sparky Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:

    >> "PLEASE INSERT A DISC INTO DRIVE F"
    >>

    > If you try and boot off the WINXP CD does it work (hardware problem rather
    > than software problem?)
    >
    > Thanks
    > Craig

    NOPE.. cannot boot from ANY CD .. Drive does not recognise CD's just
    DVD's Used to work fine last week. Would play Music CD'S boot Softwared
    CD's now all it reads is DVD's . When I look at the drive in MY COMPUTER
    there is an entry in the COMMENTS section which says "CONTAINS DIGITAL
    PHOTOS> IMAGES AND GRAPHICS FILES" that entry is there eveb if the drive
    is empty.. Loks like a hardware fault??
    thanks for the message
    Sparky, Dec 26, 2005
  4. Sparky

    Rob J Guest

    In article <zUMrf.10565$>, sparkynz1
    @netscape.net says...
    > I have an NEC DVD_RW ND 1300A combo drive, which was working perfectly a
    > week ago. Now it no longer recognises CD's placed in the drive.
    > If I put a DVD in it will recognise it and read it.
    > If I put in a CD NOTHING I just get the following message
    >
    > "PLEASE INSERT A DISC INTO DRIVE F"
    >
    > And YES there is a CD in. This is the same for CD's I have burnt AS WELL
    > as comercially crerated CD's
    > It will not read music CD's
    > It will not even read the WINXP HOME installation CD.
    >
    > THINGS I HAVE DONE
    >
    > Removed the drive from SYSTEM in CPL re installed same problem
    >
    > Uninstalled the driver re-insatlled same problem. I am guessing I am
    > re-installing the driver from WINDOWS directory as the WINXP CD cannot
    > be read.
    >
    > I cannot roll back to a previous driver None to go back to?
    >
    > Been to GOOGLE to look for drivers cannot find any
    >
    > NEC website cannot find drivers there
    >
    > Am about to biff this into the bin and get another drive
    > BEFORE I do that anyone got any ideas I have not tried or help?
    > Thanks

    We had a drive that didn't work. Checked and a piece of card had been
    put in the drive by a child, removed that and the drive started working
    again.
    Rob J, Dec 26, 2005
  5. Sparky

    Sparky Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > In article <zUMrf.10565$>, sparkynz1
    > @netscape.net says...
    >
    >>I have an NEC DVD_RW ND 1300A combo drive, which was working perfectly a
    >>week ago. Now it no longer recognises CD's placed in the drive.
    >>If I put a DVD in it will recognise it and read it.
    >>If I put in a CD NOTHING I just get the following message
    >>
    >> "PLEASE INSERT A DISC INTO DRIVE F"
    >>
    >>And YES there is a CD in. This is the same for CD's I have burnt AS WELL
    >>as comercially crerated CD's
    >>It will not read music CD's
    >>It will not even read the WINXP HOME installation CD.
    >>
    >>THINGS I HAVE DONE
    >>
    >>Removed the drive from SYSTEM in CPL re installed same problem
    >>
    >>Uninstalled the driver re-insatlled same problem. I am guessing I am
    >>re-installing the driver from WINDOWS directory as the WINXP CD cannot
    >>be read.
    >>
    >>I cannot roll back to a previous driver None to go back to?
    >>
    >>Been to GOOGLE to look for drivers cannot find any
    >>
    >>NEC website cannot find drivers there
    >>
    >>Am about to biff this into the bin and get another drive
    >>BEFORE I do that anyone got any ideas I have not tried or help?
    >>Thanks
    >>

    > We had a drive that didn't work. Checked and a piece of card had been
    > put in the drive by a child, removed that and the drive started working
    > again.

    Hey thanks for that. But as you have no doubt read, the drive reads
    DVD's no problem but not CD's
    ALSO it is on MY computer which the kidfs have no access to.
    But thanks anyway
    Sparky, Dec 26, 2005
  6. Sparky

    XP Guest

    On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 20:24:15 +1300, Sparky <> wrote:

    >I have an NEC DVD_RW ND 1300A combo drive, which was working perfectly a
    >week ago. Now it no longer recognises CD's placed in the drive.
    >If I put a DVD in it will recognise it and read it.
    >If I put in a CD NOTHING I just get the following message
    >
    > "PLEASE INSERT A DISC INTO DRIVE F"
    >
    >And YES there is a CD in. This is the same for CD's I have burnt AS WELL
    >as comercially crerated CD's
    >It will not read music CD's
    >It will not even read the WINXP HOME installation CD.
    >
    >THINGS I HAVE DONE
    >
    >Removed the drive from SYSTEM in CPL re installed same problem
    >
    >Uninstalled the driver re-insatlled same problem. I am guessing I am
    >re-installing the driver from WINDOWS directory as the WINXP CD cannot
    >be read.
    >
    >I cannot roll back to a previous driver None to go back to?
    >
    >Been to GOOGLE to look for drivers cannot find any
    >
    >NEC website cannot find drivers there
    >
    >Am about to biff this into the bin and get another drive
    >BEFORE I do that anyone got any ideas I have not tried or help?
    >Thanks

    Its worn out.

    I have one, no problems at all and I don't use any Drivers, just what XP
    provides..

    There are plenty of firmware Updates..

    By the Way do you Smoke..?
    XP, Dec 26, 2005
  7. Sparky

    XP Guest

    On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 21:08:08 +1300, Sparky <> wrote:

    >Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >
    >>> "PLEASE INSERT A DISC INTO DRIVE F"
    >>>

    >> If you try and boot off the WINXP CD does it work (hardware problem rather
    >> than software problem?)
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Craig
    >>

    >NOPE.. cannot boot from ANY CD .. Drive does not recognise CD's just
    >DVD's Used to work fine last week. Would play Music CD'S boot Softwared
    >CD's now all it reads is DVD's . When I look at the drive in MY COMPUTER
    >there is an entry in the COMMENTS section which says "CONTAINS DIGITAL
    >PHOTOS> IMAGES AND GRAPHICS FILES" that entry is there eveb if the drive
    >is empty.. Loks like a hardware fault??
    >thanks for the message

    The CD lens could be dirty, try a cleaning CD, and if you Smoke kiss the drive
    good bye
    XP, Dec 26, 2005
  8. Sparky

    Sparky Guest

    XP wrote:

    >>>If you try and boot off the WINXP CD does it work (hardware problem rather
    >>>than software problem?)
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>Craig
    >>>

    >>NOPE.. cannot boot from ANY CD .. Drive does not recognise CD's just
    >>DVD's Used to work fine last week. Would play Music CD'S boot Softwared
    >>CD's now all it reads is DVD's . When I look at the drive in MY COMPUTER
    >>there is an entry in the COMMENTS section which says "CONTAINS DIGITAL
    >>PHOTOS> IMAGES AND GRAPHICS FILES" that entry is there eveb if the drive
    >>is empty.. Loks like a hardware fault??
    >>thanks for the message

    > The CD lens could be dirty, try a cleaning CD, and if you Smoke kiss the drive
    > good bye

    yip did the clean thing... still no joy. READS DVDs perfectly.. and no i
    do not smoke
    Sparky, Dec 26, 2005
  9. Sparky

    Sparky Guest

    XP wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 20:24:15 +1300, Sparky <> wrote:
    >

    >>I have an NEC DVD_RW ND 1300A combo drive, which was working perfectly a
    >>week ago. Now it no longer recognises CD's placed in the drive.
    >>If I put a DVD in it will recognise it and read it.
    >>If I put in a CD NOTHING I just get the following message
    >>
    >> "PLEASE INSERT A DISC INTO DRIVE F"
    >>
    >>And YES there is a CD in. This is the same for CD's I have burnt AS WELL
    >>as comercially crerated CD's
    >>It will not read music CD's
    >>It will not even read the WINXP HOME installation CD.
    >>
    >>THINGS I HAVE DONE
    >>
    >>Removed the drive from SYSTEM in CPL re installed same problem
    >>
    >>Uninstalled the driver re-insatlled same problem. I am guessing I am
    >>re-installing the driver from WINDOWS directory as the WINXP CD cannot
    >>be read.
    >>
    >>I cannot roll back to a previous driver None to go back to?
    >>
    >>Been to GOOGLE to look for drivers cannot find any
    >>
    >>NEC website cannot find drivers there
    >>
    >>Am about to biff this into the bin and get another drive
    >>BEFORE I do that anyone got any ideas I have not tried or help?
    >>Thanks

    > Its worn out.
    >

    > I have one, no problems at all and I don't use any Drivers, just what XP
    > provides..
    >

    > There are plenty of firmware Updates..
    >
    > By the Way do you Smoke..?

    nope do not smoke.
    AND why would I need a frimware update if it was working fine last week.
    Trying the SAME Cd's thayt worked last week but do not work this week??
    Thanks.
    Sparky, Dec 26, 2005
  10. Sparky

    Mark Remfrey Guest

    "Sparky" <> wrote in message
    >I have an NEC DVD_RW ND 1300A combo drive, which was working perfectly a
    >week ago. Now it no longer recognises CD's placed in the drive.
    > If I put a DVD in it will recognise it and read it.
    > If I put in a CD NOTHING I just get the following message
    >
    > "PLEASE INSERT A DISC INTO DRIVE F"
    >
    > And YES there is a CD in. This is the same for CD's I have burnt AS WELL
    > as comercially crerated CD's
    > It will not read music CD's
    > It will not even read the WINXP HOME installation CD.
    >
    > THINGS I HAVE DONE
    >
    > Removed the drive from SYSTEM in CPL re installed same problem
    >
    > Uninstalled the driver re-insatlled same problem. I am guessing I am
    > re-installing the driver from WINDOWS directory as the WINXP CD cannot be
    > read.
    >
    > I cannot roll back to a previous driver None to go back to?
    >
    > Been to GOOGLE to look for drivers cannot find any
    >
    > NEC website cannot find drivers there
    >
    > Am about to biff this into the bin and get another drive
    > BEFORE I do that anyone got any ideas I have not tried or help?
    > Thanks

    As a remote possibility, have you installed any games in the last week?
    Specifically, ones that use StarForce copy protection?

    StarForce installs some nasty device drivers that have been known to hijack
    and kill CD-ROM drives.

    --

    Regards,
    Mark Remfrey

    "Two wrongs don't make a right.... it usually takes three or more!"
    Mark Remfrey, Dec 26, 2005
  11. Sparky

    Bryan Guest

    Sparky <> wrote in

    > I have an NEC DVD_RW ND 1300A combo drive, which was working perfectly
    > a week ago. Now it no longer recognises CD's placed in the drive.
    > If I put a DVD in it will recognise it and read it.
    > If I put in a CD NOTHING I just get the following message
    >
    > "PLEASE INSERT A DISC INTO DRIVE F"
    >
    > And YES there is a CD in. This is the same for CD's I have burnt AS
    > WELL as comercially crerated CD's
    > It will not read music CD's
    > It will not even read the WINXP HOME installation CD.
    >
    > THINGS I HAVE DONE
    >
    > Removed the drive from SYSTEM in CPL re installed same problem
    >
    > Uninstalled the driver re-insatlled same problem. I am guessing I am
    > re-installing the driver from WINDOWS directory as the WINXP CD cannot
    > be read.
    >
    > I cannot roll back to a previous driver None to go back to?
    >
    > Been to GOOGLE to look for drivers cannot find any
    >
    > NEC website cannot find drivers there
    >
    > Am about to biff this into the bin and get another drive
    > BEFORE I do that anyone got any ideas I have not tried or help?
    > Thanks

    Can you try this drive in another system?
    Bryan, Dec 26, 2005
  12. Sparky

    S Roby Guest

    Unfortunately these things are uneconomic to repair
    You will have to buy another
    ie: its stuffed

    Is it under warranty??
    Some drives (LG) have 2 year warranty.
    S Roby, Dec 26, 2005
  13. Sparky

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Sparky wrote:
    > XP wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 21:08:08 +1300, Sparky <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> NOPE.. cannot boot from ANY CD .. Drive does not recognise CD's just
    >>> DVD's Used to work fine last week. Would play Music CD'S boot
    >>> Softwared CD's now all it reads is DVD's . When I look at the drive
    >>> in MY COMPUTER there is an entry in the COMMENTS section which says
    >>> "CONTAINS DIGITAL PHOTOS> IMAGES AND GRAPHICS FILES" that entry is
    >>> there eveb if the drive is empty.. Loks like a hardware fault??
    >>> thanks for the message

    >> The CD lens could be dirty, try a cleaning CD, and if you Smoke kiss
    >> the drive good bye
    >>

    > yip did the clean thing... still no joy. READS DVDs perfectly.. and
    > no i do not smoke

    I could be wrong, I've been wrong once before. However, doesn't a combo
    drive (or any DVD drive that reads CDs for that matter) use a separate laser
    for each type of media? I went through the lengthy and painful process of
    returning several Samsung combo drives (DVD-read, CD-read/write) earlier
    this year that would read DVDs fine but kept saying "No disc" when a CD was
    inserted. Finally got the retailer to swap the last dud the NZ agents gave
    me for a Lite-On, been fine ever since.

    However, that said, that "CONTAINS DIGITAL PHOTOS> IMAGES AND GRAPHICS
    FILES" would suggest malware to me. As mentioned by someone else, trying it
    in another machine would be helpful. Maybe upgrading/reflashing firmware
    also/instead if you don't have access to another machine. Something may have
    corrupted the firmware.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Dec 27, 2005
  14. Sparky

    Impossible Guest

    "Mark Remfrey" <> wrote in message
    > "Sparky" <> wrote in message
    >>I have an NEC DVD_RW ND 1300A combo drive, which was working
    >>perfectly a week ago. Now it no longer recognises CD's placed in the
    >>drive.
    >> If I put a DVD in it will recognise it and read it.
    >> If I put in a CD NOTHING I just get the following message
    >>
    >> "PLEASE INSERT A DISC INTO DRIVE F"
    >>
    >> And YES there is a CD in. This is the same for CD's I have burnt AS
    >> WELL as comercially crerated CD's
    >> It will not read music CD's
    >> It will not even read the WINXP HOME installation CD.
    >>
    >> THINGS I HAVE DONE
    >>
    >> Removed the drive from SYSTEM in CPL re installed same problem
    >>
    >> Uninstalled the driver re-insatlled same problem. I am guessing I
    >> am re-installing the driver from WINDOWS directory as the WINXP CD
    >> cannot be read.
    >>
    >> I cannot roll back to a previous driver None to go back to?
    >>
    >> Been to GOOGLE to look for drivers cannot find any
    >>
    >> NEC website cannot find drivers there
    >>
    >> Am about to biff this into the bin and get another drive
    >> BEFORE I do that anyone got any ideas I have not tried or help?
    >> Thanks

    > As a remote possibility, have you installed any games in the last
    > week? Specifically, ones that use StarForce copy protection?
    >
    > StarForce installs some nasty device drivers that have been known to
    > hijack and kill CD-ROM drives.
    >
    > --

    A simple way to determine if the problem is software-related is to run
    msconfig and reboot in diagnostic mode with all startup programs and
    non-essential services disabled. If you then have access to CDs,
    re-enable each program and service, one-by-one, until you find the
    culprit.
    Impossible, Dec 27, 2005
  15. Sparky

    Jerry Guest

    Impossible wrote:
    > "Mark Remfrey" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Sparky" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I have an NEC DVD_RW ND 1300A combo drive, which was working
    >>>perfectly a week ago. Now it no longer recognises CD's placed in the
    >>>drive.
    >>>If I put a DVD in it will recognise it and read it.
    >>>If I put in a CD NOTHING I just get the following message
    >>>
    >>> "PLEASE INSERT A DISC INTO DRIVE F"
    >>>
    >>>And YES there is a CD in. This is the same for CD's I have burnt AS
    >>>WELL as comercially crerated CD's
    >>>It will not read music CD's
    >>>It will not even read the WINXP HOME installation CD.
    >>>
    >>>THINGS I HAVE DONE
    >>>
    >>>Removed the drive from SYSTEM in CPL re installed same problem
    >>>
    >>>Uninstalled the driver re-insatlled same problem. I am guessing I
    >>>am re-installing the driver from WINDOWS directory as the WINXP CD
    >>>cannot be read.
    >>>
    >>>I cannot roll back to a previous driver None to go back to?
    >>>
    >>>Been to GOOGLE to look for drivers cannot find any
    >>>
    >>>NEC website cannot find drivers there
    >>>
    >>>Am about to biff this into the bin and get another drive
    >>>BEFORE I do that anyone got any ideas I have not tried or help?
    >>>Thanks

    >>As a remote possibility, have you installed any games in the last
    >>week? Specifically, ones that use StarForce copy protection?
    >>
    >>StarForce installs some nasty device drivers that have been known to
    >>hijack and kill CD-ROM drives.
    >>
    >>--

    > A simple way to determine if the problem is software-related is to run
    > msconfig and reboot in diagnostic mode with all startup programs and
    > non-essential services disabled. If you then have access to CDs,
    > re-enable each program and service, one-by-one, until you find the
    > culprit.

    If he can't even boot from a CD-ROM he won't be able to read one in
    windows. Replace the drive is the only fix I think.
    Jerry, Dec 27, 2005
  16. Sparky

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > Maybe upgrading/reflashing firmware
    > also/instead if you don't have access to another machine. Something
    > may have corrupted the firmware.

    I was thinking the same thing, something like a region crack for DVD's
    going wrong and breaking the device?

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Dec 27, 2005
  17. Sparky

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 19:55:21 +1300, Jerry wrote:

    > Impossible wrote:
    >> "Mark Remfrey" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"Sparky" <> wrote in message

    >>>As a remote possibility, have you installed any games in the last
    >>>week? Specifically, ones that use StarForce copy protection?
    >>>
    >>>StarForce installs some nasty device drivers that have been known to
    >>>hijack and kill CD-ROM drives.
    >>>
    >>>--

    >> A simple way to determine if the problem is software-related is to run
    >> msconfig and reboot in diagnostic mode with all startup programs and
    >> non-essential services disabled. If you then have access to CDs,
    >> re-enable each program and service, one-by-one, until you find the
    >> culprit.

    > If he can't even boot from a CD-ROM he won't be able to read one in
    > windows. Replace the drive is the only fix I think.

    CD's use a different light frequency and focusing system to DVD disks IIRC
    in DVD drives. So it is possible for one of them to be stuffed while the
    other is OK.

    He should try to read a CD in that drive after booting from a known-ok boot
    floppy (www.bootdisk.com iirc) or bootable CD (assuming his BIOS supports
    cd booting, most have for the last few years).

    If booting allows him to read the cd, it's his os or software. If not, it's
    hardware. If it's hardware replace it with a new drive - DVD writer, 16x
    dual layer goes for as little as $70 NEW mail order. e.g. not worth fixing
    that drive, replace it.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #5775 +(8483)- [X]

    * ab is away - gone, if anyone talks in the next 25 minutes as me it's bm
    being an asshole -
    <ab> HAHAHA DISREGARD THAT, I SUCK COCKS

    Note: All my comments are copyright 27/12/2005 11:39:25 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Dec 27, 2005
  18. Sparky

    Impossible Guest

    "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    > Impossible wrote:
    >> "Mark Remfrey" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"Sparky" <> wrote in message

    >>>As a remote possibility, have you installed any games in the last
    >>>week? Specifically, ones that use StarForce copy protection?
    >>>
    >>>StarForce installs some nasty device drivers that have been known
    >>>to hijack and kill CD-ROM drives.
    >>>
    >>>--

    >> A simple way to determine if the problem is software-related is to
    >> run msconfig and reboot in diagnostic mode with all startup
    >> programs and non-essential services disabled. If you then have
    >> access to CDs, re-enable each program and service, one-by-one,
    >> until you find the culprit.

    > If he can't even boot from a CD-ROM he won't be able to read one in
    > windows. Replace the drive is the only fix I think.

    Not necessarily. There are several reports of fixes for this kind of
    problem that involve disabling/uninstalling startup programs.
    Certainly worth 5 minutes to check before giving up on the hardware.
    Impossible, Dec 27, 2005
  19. Sparky

    Jerry Guest

    Impossible wrote:
    > "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Impossible wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Mark Remfrey" <> wrote in message

    >>>A simple way to determine if the problem is software-related is to
    >>>run msconfig and reboot in diagnostic mode with all startup
    >>>programs and non-essential services disabled. If you then have
    >>>access to CDs, re-enable each program and service, one-by-one,
    >>>until you find the culprit.

    >>If he can't even boot from a CD-ROM he won't be able to read one in
    >>windows. Replace the drive is the only fix I think.

    > Not necessarily. There are several reports of fixes for this kind of
    > problem that involve disabling/uninstalling startup programs.
    > Certainly worth 5 minutes to check before giving up on the hardware.

    In his second post Sparky said "NOPE.. cannot boot from ANY CD .. Drive
    does not recognise CD's just DVD's".

    Windows has not even started to load when booting from a CD, the BIOS
    hasn't even tried the HDD boot record. You can unplug the HDD and boot
    from a CD. He has a hardware problem, probably the DVD drive, possibly
    but not likely, IDE channel on the MB
    Jerry, Dec 27, 2005
  20. Sparky

    Impossible Guest

    "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    > Impossible wrote:
    >> "Jerry" <> wrote in message

    >>>If he can't even boot from a CD-ROM he won't be able to read one in
    >>>windows. Replace the drive is the only fix I think.

    >> Not necessarily. There are several reports of fixes for this kind
    >> of problem that involve disabling/uninstalling startup programs.
    >> Certainly worth 5 minutes to check before giving up on the
    >> hardware.

    > In his second post Sparky said "NOPE.. cannot boot from ANY CD ..
    > Drive does not recognise CD's just DVD's".
    >
    > Windows has not even started to load when booting from a CD, the
    > BIOS hasn't even tried the HDD boot record. You can unplug the HDD
    > and boot from a CD. He has a hardware problem, probably the DVD
    > drive, possibly but not likely, IDE channel on the MB

    Sparky never mentioned that he'd EVER booted from a bootable CD
    before -- only that he'd never had problems reading CDs in Windows. If
    the bios isn't set for a CD boot to begin with, then scrapping the
    drive on the basis of that "test" would be premature, I'd say.

    In any case, relax -- we're all just trying to be helpful here. It
    never hurts to try one more thing.
    Impossible, Dec 27, 2005