help, hdd,lappy issue

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by doS, Feb 18, 2007.

  1. doS

    doS Guest

    Hello have a lappy with a 80gig harddrive the pc sees this just fine .its a
    PATA.I was going to replace with an 120 gig ultra ata drive. the notebook
    wont see the 120gig drive, even in the bios..if i put the 120 in a usb
    encloser, it works fine as an external.This has me stumped.
     
    doS, Feb 18, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. doS

    philo Guest

    "doS" <> wrote in message
    news:su%Bh.26$...
    > Hello have a lappy with a 80gig harddrive the pc sees this just fine .its

    a
    > PATA.I was going to replace with an 120 gig ultra ata drive. the notebook
    > wont see the 120gig drive, even in the bios..if i put the 120 in a usb
    > encloser, it works fine as an external.This has me stumped.
    >
    >



    Probably a BIOS issue.

    The OS can see a 2nd drive...(even if the bios does not)...
    especially USB




    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
     
    philo, Feb 18, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. doS

    doS Guest

    i can put in the seagate 120 and it works fine, the samsung 120 is the one
    it wont see, could it be just that particular drive make, the samsung?


    "philo" <> wrote in message
    news:45d8799f$0$16272$...
    >
    > "doS" <> wrote in message
    > news:su%Bh.26$...
    >> Hello have a lappy with a 80gig harddrive the pc sees this just fine .its

    > a
    >> PATA.I was going to replace with an 120 gig ultra ata drive. the notebook
    >> wont see the 120gig drive, even in the bios..if i put the 120 in a usb
    >> encloser, it works fine as an external.This has me stumped.
    >>
    >>

    >
    >
    > Probably a BIOS issue.
    >
    > The OS can see a 2nd drive...(even if the bios does not)...
    > especially USB
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
    >
     
    doS, Feb 18, 2007
    #3
  4. doS

    mdp Guest

    doS wrote:
    > i can put in the seagate 120 and it works fine, the samsung 120 is
    > the one it wont see, could it be just that particular drive make, the
    > samsung?
    >
    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    > news:45d8799f$0$16272$...
    >>
    >> "doS" <> wrote in message
    >> news:su%Bh.26$...
    >>> Hello have a lappy with a 80gig harddrive the pc sees this just
    >>> fine .its a PATA.I was going to replace with an 120 gig ultra ata
    >>> drive. the notebook wont see the 120gig drive, even in the bios..if
    >>> i put the 120 in a usb encloser, it works fine as an external.This
    >>> has me stumped.

    >>
    >>
    >> Probably a BIOS issue.
    >>
    >> The OS can see a 2nd drive...(even if the bios does not)...
    >> especially USB
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> --
    >> Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


    Could be but double check the jumper settings on the samsung with the mfg's
    instructions. You could also try the samsung in the external using a HD
    laptop adapter or run a mfg diagnostics tool.
     
    mdp, Feb 18, 2007
    #4
  5. doS

    Frosty Guest

    On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 11:51:38 -0500 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk "doS"
    <>, intended to write something intelligible,
    but instead wrote :

    > Hello have a lappy


    You have a WHAT??
    You douchbag! Do you talk on a celly too? I'll be you suck dickys.
     
    Frosty, Feb 18, 2007
    #5
  6. Uh, I think you should stick with a PATA Hard Drive, ATA is a different
    format.


    "doS" <> wrote in message
    news:su%Bh.26$...
    > Hello have a lappy with a 80gig harddrive the pc sees this just fine .its
    > a PATA.I was going to replace with an 120 gig ultra ata drive. the
    > notebook wont see the 120gig drive, even in the bios..if i put the 120 in
    > a usb encloser, it works fine as an external.This has me stumped.
    >
    >
     
    Daniel Anderson, Feb 18, 2007
    #6
  7. doS

    doS Guest

    no, i have a telly and you have snowballs

    "Frosty" < > wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 11:51:38 -0500 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk "doS"
    > <>, intended to write something intelligible,
    > but instead wrote :
    >
    >> Hello have a lappy

    >
    > You have a WHAT??
    > You douchbag! Do you talk on a celly too? I'll be you suck dickys.
    >
     
    doS, Feb 19, 2007
    #7
  8. doS

    doS Guest

    thanks, its a laptop drive, I didnt see any jumpers?
    it does work fine in an usb external

    "mdp" <> wrote in message
    news:45d88a84$0$24475$...
    > doS wrote:
    >> i can put in the seagate 120 and it works fine, the samsung 120 is
    >> the one it wont see, could it be just that particular drive make, the
    >> samsung?
    >>
    >> "philo" <> wrote in message
    >> news:45d8799f$0$16272$...
    >>>
    >>> "doS" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:su%Bh.26$...
    >>>> Hello have a lappy with a 80gig harddrive the pc sees this just
    >>>> fine .its a PATA.I was going to replace with an 120 gig ultra ata
    >>>> drive. the notebook wont see the 120gig drive, even in the bios..if
    >>>> i put the 120 in a usb encloser, it works fine as an external.This
    >>>> has me stumped.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Probably a BIOS issue.
    >>>
    >>> The OS can see a 2nd drive...(even if the bios does not)...
    >>> especially USB
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

    >
    > Could be but double check the jumper settings on the samsung with the
    > mfg's instructions. You could also try the samsung in the external using
    > a HD laptop adapter or run a mfg diagnostics tool.
    >
     
    doS, Feb 19, 2007
    #8
  9. doS

    WhzzKdd Guest

    doS wrote:
    > no, i have a telly and you have snowballs
    >

    Frosty has snowballs? Wow - that's GOTTA be cold <g>
     
    WhzzKdd, Feb 19, 2007
    #9
  10. doS

    Al Pilarcik Guest

    Daniel Anderson wrote:
    > Uh, I think you should stick with a PATA Hard Drive, ATA is a
    > different format.


    No, it is not a different format.


    PATA or P-ATA = Parallel ATA

    SATA or S-ATA = Serial ATA

    http://www.t13.org/
     
    Al Pilarcik, Feb 19, 2007
    #10
  11. doS

    Frosty Guest

    On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 20:29:50 -0500 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk "doS"
    <>, intended to write something intelligible,
    but instead wrote :

    >no, i have a telly and you have snowballs


    Well, yes, that would make sense wouldn't it.


    >
    >"Frosty" < > wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 11:51:38 -0500 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk "doS"
    >> <>, intended to write something intelligible,
    >> but instead wrote :
    >>
    >>> Hello have a lappy

    >>
    >> You have a WHAT??
    >> You douchbag! Do you talk on a celly too? I'll bet you suck dickys.
    >>

    >
     
    Frosty, Feb 19, 2007
    #11
  12. doS

    Frosty Guest

    On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 17:44:38 -0800 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    "WhzzKdd" <>, intended to write
    something intelligible, but instead wrote :

    >doS wrote:
    >> no, i have a telly and you have snowballs
    >>

    >Frosty has snowballs? Wow - that's GOTTA be cold <g>
    >

    What'd you expect a snowman to have? Cheese balls?
     
    Frosty, Feb 19, 2007
    #12
  13. doS

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Frosty wrote:
    > On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 17:44:38 -0800 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > "WhzzKdd" <>, intended to write
    > something intelligible, but instead wrote :
    >
    >> doS wrote:
    >>> no, i have a telly and you have snowballs
    >>>

    >> Frosty has snowballs? Wow - that's GOTTA be cold <g>
    >>

    > What'd you expect a snowman to have? Cheese balls?


    <G>!!

    The WhzzKdd does Cheese Whiz...hence the nym. But I don't think I've got
    cheese balls yet...
     
    WhzzKdd, Feb 21, 2007
    #13
  14. doS

    Frosty Guest

    On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 17:19:13 -0800 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    "WhzzKdd" <>, intended to write
    something intelligible, but instead wrote :

    >Frosty wrote:
    >> On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 17:44:38 -0800 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >> "WhzzKdd" <>, intended to write
    >> something intelligible, but instead wrote :
    >>
    >>> doS wrote:
    >>>> no, i have a telly and you have snowballs
    >>>>
    >>> Frosty has snowballs? Wow - that's GOTTA be cold <g>
    >>>

    >> What'd you expect a snowman to have? Cheese balls?

    >
    ><G>!!
    >
    >The WhzzKdd does Cheese Whiz...hence the nym. But I don't think I've got
    >cheese balls yet...
    >
    >

    I used to love spam and cheeze whiz on whitebread with mayo...
     
    Frosty, Feb 21, 2007
    #14
  15. doS

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Frosty wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 17:19:13 -0800 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > "WhzzKdd" <>, intended to write
    > something intelligible, but instead wrote :
    >
    >> Frosty wrote:
    >>> On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 17:44:38 -0800 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >>> "WhzzKdd" <>, intended to write
    >>> something intelligible, but instead wrote :
    >>>
    >>>> doS wrote:
    >>>>> no, i have a telly and you have snowballs
    >>>>>
    >>>> Frosty has snowballs? Wow - that's GOTTA be cold <g>
    >>>>
    >>> What'd you expect a snowman to have? Cheese balls?

    >>
    >> <G>!!
    >>
    >> The WhzzKdd does Cheese Whiz...hence the nym. But I don't think I've
    >> got cheese balls yet...
    >>
    >>

    > I used to love spam and cheeze whiz on whitebread with mayo...


    Oh heck yeah - hold the mayo though :)
     
    WhzzKdd, Feb 21, 2007
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Slarty Bartfast

    Off topic - broke my lappy...

    Slarty Bartfast, Jul 25, 2003, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    488
    Slarty Bartfast
    Jul 28, 2003
  2. scars

    TV on lappy

    scars, Oct 13, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    660
    scars
    Oct 13, 2003
  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    DSE Athlon 64 lappy

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 10, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    346
    Mike_P
    Nov 11, 2004
  4. ashjas
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,266
  5. Mick
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    599
    Jordon
    Sep 21, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page